Excellent, stays on topic

Review by Rick_M posted 09-19-2016 06:47 PM 2027 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Excellent, stays on topic Excellent, stays on topic No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Update: This review is for the original 360 with 360 Woodworking Podcast.

I thought I would review some woodworking (and related) podcasts. I often prefer podcasts over music while in the shop or on drives.

360 Woodworking is a woodworking education focused company founded by Glen Huey and Chuck Bender. Bob Lang is no longer part of 360 Woodworking but is listed as a contributor. I am not a member but do enjoy their podcast.

The 360 guys publish a podcast that is limited to one topic and 15 minutes. It is by far my favorite of all the woodworking/making podcasts because they stay on topic and I learn quite a bit. They occasionally have a 60 With 360 Podcast that is one hour long. Productionwise the sound is clear, the guys are easy to understand and personable. Another thing I like is if I get behind I can easily binge listen to several episodes and not feel like any of my time was wasted. My one and only complaint is that the podcast no longer works on my phone, I just get an error. I emailed 360W and did not get a reply. I did not deduct a star because the problem is possibly just me.

The Podcast:

360 Team:

Update 2017, the format has changed into an interview with a business person associated with woodworking. The new podcast is called Around the Shop with 360 Woodworking.

-- http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

View Rick_M's profile

Rick_M

View pintodeluxe's profile (online now)

#1 posted 09-19-2016 09:01 PM

Too bad Bob isn’t part of the team anymore. He was carrying the torch for all of us arts and crafts furniture fans.

View Rick_M's profile

Rick_M

#2 posted 09-19-2016 09:17 PM

Darrell Peart is listed as a contributor, always liked his Greene and Greene work.

-- http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

#3 posted 09-20-2016 03:14 PM

I think I listen to all of the woodworking podcasts regularly (I may have missed one). As for 360, I think they try a little hard to be funny sometimes, but I agree wholeheartedly that I learn from them. I’m amazed sometimes that folks on some of the woodworking podcasts know less than I do about a particular topic, but these guys know a ton. I wasn’t a big fan of the “art or craft” episode, since I don’t think that brings out their strengths, but I really love being able to learn from their considerable experience. Good stuff.

View acanthuscarver's profile

acanthuscarver

#4 posted 10-04-2016 07:58 PM

Rick,

Thanks for the great review. It’s listeners like you that keep us doing the show.

CharlesA,

Oh, we never try to be funny, and some (most) would agree that we successfully reach that goal – a lot.

And you keep wanting to learn and we’ll keep trying to pass on what we’ve both learned in our time as woodworkers. If there’s ever a topic you’d like to see us cover, please let me know and I’ll see if it can be worked into the schedule. Yep, we actually have a schedule and we even occasionally figure out the topic prior to turning on the recorder.

-- Chuck Bender, period furniture maker, woodworking instructor