A serious consideration if after space saving & 100% flatness

Review by Holbs posted 09-19-2016 03:14 AM 3316 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A serious consideration if after space saving & 100% flatness A serious consideration if after space saving & 100% flatness A serious consideration if after space saving & 100% flatness Click the pictures to enlarge them

This would be the 2nd largest new $$$ item I have purchased in the wood working arena on sale at Rockler for $249 (full retail is $329). This is the Promax RT, full cast iron, made to fit between the rails of your contractor / cabinet saw (space limitations apply such as motor being in the way on left tilts). I came from the Bosch benchtop router table (RA1181) that was giving me some…gruff. When I was looking to upgrade to more robust router solution, I came across this Bench Dog. I had to choose between a dedicated router top & stand, or a smaller space saving router table that fits into my right tilt Delta Unisaw. I went with space saving as that is my focus this year in my 2 car garage. After reading all types of reviews, I was a little apprehensive with the complaints about either the cast iron or the Bench Dog 40-140 Pro Plate Standard Group 1(sold separately at $44) was not acceptably flat. I either got lucky or Rockler/Bench Dog solved their issues of the ProPlate aluminum flatness as I mine is dead flat (will have to break out the dial indicator to verify this coming week, I was eye balling with level and flashlight).
Assembly was… somewhat a challenge as their is NO instructions. Yet, things went together using common sense. I am using the Bosch MRC23 series router and the mounting holes line up. However, there is no ProPlate hole for the micro adjustment. That would be my mistake for not researching before purchase. But a drill press will fix that problem :)
The fence is a suitable fence. MDF backers with dust collection made out of aluminum structure with a bit guard.
With this ProMax RT, I believe I am locked into the future upgrade of only using BenchDog router lift but that is fine as lots of great reviews on that lift.
All in all, money greatly spent. Total flatness, space saving, and that cast iron feel.

#1 posted 09-19-2016 04:05 PM

Bench Dog stuff is great. I have their freestanding router table, and it is solid.

#2 posted 09-19-2016 11:50 PM

additional note: I also read of people contacting Bench Dog with no responses after weeks and weeks. I had a installation issue of my own doing. Sunday during the install, I mistakenly grabbed the 3 smallest screws for the insert and broke the head off one of them. The hole was smaller than the screws and the screws I used must of been for router use. So I emailed the general email box at Bench Dog about not having the 3 correct screws for the insert. Later than night, I found the smaller 3 screws in a bag between my rails on my cabinet saw :) I put a minor scratch in the aluminum but eh… not biggy. I forgot all about the email to Bench Dog til they called me Monday morning asking how they can fix the problem (which I told them everything is aok). 12 hour reply time … not too shabby.

View GFactor's profile

GFactor

#3 posted 09-20-2016 02:00 PM

- Holbs

I have the same table and went with the Rockler Router Lift, instead of the Bench Dog, and it fit without any issues. So you have at least one other option out there.

Cheers!

-- To Steal Ideas From One Person is Plagiarism; to Steal From Many is Research…

View WhoMe's profile

WhoMe

#4 posted 09-21-2016 05:57 AM

Actually you have another option. The incra lift that Rockler sells. Imo, far superior to the bench dog lift for the same price. That is if you plan on a big 7518 style motor, the incra is the best that fits your table. Plus, no screws tho break off or lose, for the plastic inserts, only magnets and metal inserts on the incra.

-- I'm not clumsy.. It's just the floor hates me, the tables and chairs are bullies, the wall gets in the way AAANNNDDD table saws BITE my fingers!!!.. - Mike -

#5 posted 09-21-2016 12:44 PM

I guess I was wrong that I was only limited to a Bench Dog router lift. I’ll have to investigate this further, thanks guys!

View cajfiddle's profile

cajfiddle

#6 posted 09-22-2016 05:34 AM

Dang it! When did it go on sale and why do I always seem to miss these things? I’ve been wanting one of these for a while and just can’t justify spending full price when every 6 months they seem to go on sale.

View BikerDad's profile

BikerDad

#7 posted 12-13-2016 10:58 PM

I have one of these puppies on my SawStop, happy with it albeit my usage has been limited thus far.

That said, a point of correction. There is no problem at all mounting this to a left tilt tablesaw. Just mount it on the right side instead of the left, easy peazee. You can mount it directly to the saw, or to most extension wings. My setup is, from Left to Right: SawStop Slider, SawStop, Extension Wing, Extension Wing, Benchdog ProMax RT. Yes, that’s a lot of cast iron to level.

-- I'm happier than a tornado in a trailer park! Grace & Peace.