Convenient and Flexible

Review by MsDebbieP posted 01-28-2008 05:17 PM 5759 views 1 time favorited 40 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Convenient and Flexible No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

(photo from: www.ridgid.com)

When we first were looking for tools for our shop Rick wanted a drum sander. We asked at a store and were shown this Ridgid model which is multi-purposed. Rick was sold and we’ve never regretted the purchase.

Features:
  • belt sander (4”)
  • spindle sander (5 sizes)
  • tilting table
Conversion
  • Switching between the belt sander and spindle sander is really easy.
  • It is also simple to change the sleeves for the spindle sander.
  • Everything is stored within easy reach and no special tools are required to change anything.

Our woodworking is not heavy duty. We are just hobbyists so I can’t speak for someone who makes a lot of projects. For us, the sander is excellent – convenient, easy to switch between jobs, and switch the sandpaper. The dust collection is good, from my experience as well.

Overall
We are VERY pleased with this tool and we use it quite frequently for our woodworking projects. No regrets on this puchase.

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)

View John's profile

John

#1 posted 01-28-2008 05:52 PM

Thank you Ms. Debbie – I was hoping someone would review this!

Do you ever use the miter slot or tilting table to true up board ends? How long do the sanding belts and spindle covers last and are they expensive to replace?

-- John - Central PA - http://affyx.wordpress.com

#2 posted 01-28-2008 05:57 PM

Yes, I’ve used the tilting table (really convenient) .. as for truing up.. . well, I’m not that advanced to know any difference ha! :)

So far, we’ve used the same 80 grit belt since we got it and it still has a long life ahead of it. We bought one of those eraser cleaners and run it over the belt now and again if it starts to look clogged. Works great!!

We don’t use the spindle sander as much so I can’t give you a good indication on the duration of these sleeves.

As for cost, I’m drawing a blank. I don’t think it was that bad. We bought a bag of mixed spindle sleeves and it should last us FOREVER.

View GaryK's profile

#4 posted 01-28-2008 07:17 PM

What about the price?

-- Rob McCune

#5 posted 01-28-2008 08:07 PM

I keep forgetting about the price. I can’t remember what we paid for it.

I’m guessing that it was about $200. but that’s just a guess.

View John's profile

John

#6 posted 01-28-2008 10:19 PM

It’s $200 in Home Depot Stores in USA. I look every week for a sale – I think it’s the only product in HD that never goes on sale!

-- John - Central PA - http://affyx.wordpress.com

View cajunpen's profile

cajunpen

#7 posted 01-28-2008 11:56 PM

I got one for Christmas, but haven’t set it up yet :-((. I’m in the process of trying to re-organize my shop – building new cabinets and counter tops for the benchtop tools to rest in. The weather has not been cooperating as well as I’d like, but one of these days I will get my spindle sander up and running.

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/

View ToddE's profile

ToddE

#8 posted 01-29-2008 02:10 AM

This is a very well built machine. They have thought of everything on this. It has a huge table and a sturdy work area. You can also angle to work piece by tilting the table in incrementally notched adjustments. I have been looking forward to getting this for a long time. It was definitely worth waiting for. I recommend this to anyone considering a sanding station.

-- Allegheny Woodshop

View Lee A. Jesberger's profile

Lee A. Jesberger

#9 posted 01-29-2008 03:04 AM

Hi Ms Debbie,

The last time I came across something convenient and flexible, I ended up married, so I was afrsid toread your review. LOL

(Please don’t tell my wife I said that) Could be fatal.

Lee

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#10 posted 01-29-2008 11:27 AM

This is on my must-have list. Thanks for the positive review Ms Debbie.

#11 posted 01-29-2008 01:45 PM

ha Lee. that’s funny.

View mrtrim's profile

mrtrim

#12 posted 01-29-2008 03:03 PM

LEE if you send me one of those ezee roller outfits i wont have to call your wife !! lol
nice review ms. deb

#13 posted 01-29-2008 07:31 PM

doh.. Mr.Trim you are good.. I was trying to think of a response… darn and now I’m too late

View Roz's profile

Roz

#14 posted 01-30-2008 09:47 PM

I have this one in my shop and had one in our shop in Great Lakes IL. It is a tough reliable perfomer. Mine gets a lot of use. I would recommend them to anyone. I only have one minor complaint. There is no good place to store the cover plate for the drum attachment when using the belt sander. It wont stay in place like I would like it to.

-- Terry Roswell, L.A. (Lower Alabama) "Life is what happens to you when you are making other plans."

View dataman's profile

dataman

#15 posted 01-30-2008 10:40 PM

I have the Ridgid EB4424 also. I find it very handy and a great tool!
For some reason I do have a problem with the removal of the drum sander assembly. The flat spot on the drive shaft becomes unaligned with the knotch of the sanding assembly and its pretty tough to dislodge.
Other than that I love it!