I did not know it was that easy

Review by jwmalone posted 09-17-2016 05:35 PM 2674 views 1 time favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
I did not know it was that easy No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hello lady’s and gents, I’m not new to hand saws by a long shot. But I am new to dovetails, until today ive been trudging along with a crosscut back saw. Wasn’t that bad but I knew I could do better???? but couldn’t make it look like Roy Underhill’s (Maybe one day?). Well my veritas 20 tpi dovetail saw was in the mail today (woodcraft, got it in 3 days) so I took a piece of scrap slapped some marks on there and man let me tell ya. that thing is sweet. Clean cuts, tracks effortlessly and will go 3/4 of an inch into 1/2 stock (red oak) like it was butter. I know the importance of the right tool for the job, but just been putting it off. So if any one is thinking about buying a dovetail saw,for $59.99 I don’t see how you can go wrong. Keep in mind this is my first proper dovetail saw and I have nothing to compare it to except the wrong tool for the job, but like I said I know hand saws and this one does what its supposed to do.
Just my two cents.
And thanks to all my fellow jocks and jockets who turned me on to this saw :) and the Canadians who made it
Almost forgot,, the thing appears to very well made nice n hefty, good feel, handle can be replaced (if you ran over it?), and that plastic looking back is not plastic but it does have a little molding mark on it so in a way its not as pretty as a nice brass backed saw but…....... its still a nice looking saw and most importantly it will get her done.

-- "Boy you could get more work done it you quit flapping your pie hole" Grandpa

View Andre's profile

Andre

#1 posted 09-17-2016 09:00 PM

They are a great saw! Was my first western D.T. saw and have bought the Rip, crosscut and Carcass saws to complete the set. I was weak and did buy the Gramercy D.T. saw in a moment of weakness but it is so pretty I just like to open the box to look at it, not risk getting it all dirty and dusty by actually cutting some wood!

-- Lifting one end of the plank.

#2 posted 09-17-2016 09:32 PM

LOL, I thought the same about the veritas, id like to own a Gramercy and will probably buy the other veritas to complete the set as you did. I’m a big fan of the pre 1955 Disston, I have several just no dovetail, so ill probably collect those first as they appear on ebay or where ever.

View splintergroup's profile

splintergroup

2014 posts in 1221 days

#3 posted 09-18-2016 03:29 PM

I’ve been holding out on a DT saw with a keen eye on the Veritas. Being in the same boat as you (my ‘dovetail saw’ is an $8 ‘Popular Mechanics’ backsaw), me thinks I might just taketh the plunge.

#4 posted 09-18-2016 03:39 PM

Splintergroup, I think you’ll be happy. Its so much easier, but like I said this is my first. I’m a tightwad and don’t part with 60 bucks easily but I don’t regret it.

#5 posted 09-19-2016 01:32 PM

What made you decide to go with the 20 TPI vs the 14? Wouldn’t the 14 be a little more aggressive (quicker)?

#6 posted 09-19-2016 01:49 PM

Randy, Well sir after reading and talking to people the 20 was recommended for stock a 1/2 inch and thinner. The project I’m on now has drawers I’m using 1/2 inch for. I also have a couple things coming up that will have small tenons. So basically I bought it for the smaller stuff, I have a Nobex miter box with a 24 tpi blade and I really like the way those finer teeth handle the small pieces of trim and moldings. The next one I buy will be a 14 tpi but my best guess and others advice said the 20 would serve me well for the time being. And I tried it on some 3/4 stock, hell it went through that 10 faster than the piece of junk I’ve been using lol so its fast to me. But a 14 tpi is on my list next.

#7 posted 09-19-2016 02:22 PM

Makes sense. I have all but pulled the trigger on one.

#8 posted 09-19-2016 02:30 PM

What are you using it for? And remember I know saws just not dovetails.

#9 posted 09-19-2016 03:55 PM

For the last several years I have “cheated” and made finger joints with a Incra I-Box Jig.

Good looking, strong joints. Now I want to try my hand at dovetails

#10 posted 09-19-2016 04:45 PM

Well that’s not cheating to some, others it is lol. But hand cut I think is well worth it. I would suggest taking what you know about hand saws and checking out some of the more experienced guys. But I think youll find its a matter of personal preference. The manual that came with mine said the 20 tpi was designed for thinner stuff and the 14 for 3/4 and bigger, but it also states that either one will perform well out side of those guide lines and was not a hard rule. So I would go with the one that fits that general rule for what id be using it for most? I’m sure you’ve already done you’re homework and have heard different things depending on who you listen to. But the one thing they all say is true, if you want hand cut dovetails you need a good saw.

View Smitty_Cabinetshop's profile

Smitty_Cabinetshop

#11 posted 09-19-2016 05:07 PM

Very nice, congrats!

-- Don't anthropomorphize your handplanes. They hate it when you do that. -- OldTools Archive --

View gawthrrw's profile

gawthrrw

#12 posted 09-30-2016 08:03 PM

I have the same saw and LOVE it! Now want to get the lower ppi one for thicker wood…

-- Rob, Dallas TX