Ridgid 14 Gal - Wet Dry Vac

Review by Redoak49 posted 09-15-2016 11:20 PM 2554 views 0 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ridgid 14 Gal - Wet Dry Vac No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

My 25 year old Craftsman shop vac finally gave it up and started making weird noises and electrical smell… time to pull the plug on it.

I looked over various Ridgid vacs and decided on the 14 gal. 6.0-Peak HP Wet Dry Vac. I know that there was a more powerful and larger vac but this one fit the size I needed and the cost was not too bad ($100). The one I got has the blue filter which is for fine dust but not HEPA rated.

Things I like about this vac—

—It is quieter than my old vac and not too bad.
—Has really good suction
—Rolls very well and not easy to tip over
—On/Off switch is easy and convenient
—Has a long cord

One minor issues that I have with it —

—The 2.5” vac hose is not very flexible but I use my 2.5” clear dust collection hose with it.

Overall, it seems to be well built good vac and so far I am really pleased.

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

View nkawtg's profile

nkawtg

#1 posted 09-15-2016 11:47 PM

Thanks for posting this. It’s not every day something as mundane as a shop vac gets rated.
However mundane something might be, a review still has value for many of us.

View Texdav's profile

Texdav

#2 posted 09-16-2016 01:32 AM

thanks for posting as I am thinking of getting the 14 gal. I need one to fit under work bench so the 16 is over kill. Friend has one he uses with bags in small shop and loves it.

View ScottM's profile

ScottM

597 posts in 2052 days

#3 posted 09-16-2016 01:05 PM

I have this same vac connected to my Dust Deputy cyclone. It’s all I use for dust collection and has worked great for two years now. My vac is the hardest working tool I own.

View Dustin's profile

Dustin

#4 posted 09-16-2016 03:04 PM

I have this same vac connected to my Dust Deputy cyclone. It s all I use for dust collection and has worked great for two years now. My vac is the hardest working tool I own.

- ScottM

Ditto, here, got it on my dust deputy. Absolutely love this vac. Got it when I bought my house, a housewarming present from my brother-in-law. Love the super-long cord.

-- "Ladies, if your husband says he'll get to it, he'll get to it. No need to remind him about it every 6 months."

View BurlyBob's profile

BurlyBob

#5 posted 09-16-2016 04:20 PM

I’ve got the 16 gallon with the stainless tank. Don’t know how I got along without a shop vac. I can’t imagine not having one now.

View pintodeluxe's profile (online now)

#6 posted 09-16-2016 04:33 PM

Glad to hear they are at least a little quieter now. I have a large Ridgid vac that is a few years old now, and it absolutely screams. Even with high quality headphones mine was intolerable, so I had to switch to a dust extractor.

View QuangFromCalgary's profile

QuangFromCalgary

#7 posted 09-16-2016 08:31 PM

I have the exact version of this vacuum connected to my dust deputy, it has been working fine for 3 years. Absolutely love it. It is cheap and effective.

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#8 posted 09-17-2016 03:28 PM

I use and like mine as well. I find that HD replacement bags are expensive and I have switched to Amazon.

-- Desert_Woodworker

View grantd's profile

grantd

#9 posted 09-21-2016 08:59 PM

- Desert_Woodworker

Are you using those on this same ridgid vac? I was reluctant to go with a different brand as I didn’t know if it would fit correctly.

I have the same vac and like it quite a bit. I got mine with the detailer pack or something like that which included some more attachments and longer narrower hose. I think if I were to buy again I would pick up the one that has the detachable motor that can be used as a leaf / sawdust blower. sometimes I’ll pull the motor out of the bucket and switch to the outlet side and use it like a leaf blower that way.

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#10 posted 09-22-2016 12:51 AM

- Desert_Woodworker

Are you using those on this same ridgid vac? I was reluctant to go with a different brand as I didn t know if it would fit correctly.

I have the same vac and like it quite a bit. I got mine with the detailer pack or something like that which included some more attachments and longer narrower hose. I think if I were to buy again I would pick up the one that has the detachable motor that can be used as a leaf / sawdust blower. sometimes I ll pull the motor out of the bucket and switch to the outlet side and use it like a leaf blower that way.

- grantd

-- Desert_Woodworker

View stevet47's profile

stevet47

#11 posted 11-29-2016 10:46 PM

I have the stainless steel version of this and think it is great. It is quiet, and powerful, what more do you need in a shop vac! I like the large capacity, but its size is a hindrance at times. I use it for home renovation projects as well as in the shop, and it can be a bit unwieldy to navigate stair cases, narrow doorways, etc, but that likely isn’t an issue for most people. I am thinking of picking up a smaller Ridgid shop vac to dedicate to my miter saw.

View mummykicks's profile

mummykicks

#12 posted 01-03-2017 01:56 AM

I’ve been using this with a dust deputy for 3 years. Works great.

View Commarato53's profile

Commarato53

#13 posted 02-09-2018 05:34 PM

I have two of these. My first one burned out after about 5 years. So I went to Home Depot and purchased another one not realizing these have a lifetime warranty. I contacted Rigid and explained that I didn’t register the vacuum, but the tech support guy said to just clean the motor/head unit really good, box it up and send it back with my address. Two weeks later I had a brand new vacuum, that is still in the box in my attic. You just can’t beat this for customer service, and despite my first unit burning out, this is a really fine vacuum.