Simple Green Again

Review by Kindlingmaker posted 07-23-2009 03:41 AM 3004 views 3 times favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Simple Green Again No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I know there have been many praises and reviews for Simple Green to clean all kinds of saw blades but I read another praise in “Woodworkers Resource” about mixing Simple Green 1:4, 1 part Simple Green to 4 parts water. The author let the blades soak for 3 hours and said it worked as good or better than any other product for removing build up on saw blades. I have tried mineral spirits, paint thinner, gasoline, and just about everything else with small success, so I mixed up 1 gallon of Simple Green, ($8.50), to 3 ¾ gallons of water in a five gallon paint pail and put all my blades in it, (that’s band saw and table saw blades), and let them soak over night. I would have tried the 3 hours but I had work the next morning so over night they soaked. I could hardly believe it when the built up pitch and resins just rinsed off the blades along with everything else and the blades looked like new! I don’t know when I have been this impressed with a product before. The five gallon paint pail of Simple Green is sealed, stored and is awaiting my next cleaning of blades. If there were 10 stars to this review I would give them all to Simple Green

-- Never board, always knotty, lots of growth rings

View Kindlingmaker's profile

View Don Newton's profile

Don Newton

#1 posted 07-23-2009 05:08 AM

Recently my wife cleaned out her cache of cleaning supplies and had some floor stripper and all purpose cleaner that was very old and she wanted to throw away. I mixed them together and poured some into a cutoff section of a 5 gallon bucket. After 5 minutes the bades were cleaner than they were when they were new. After the bldes were clean I poured the concoction back into the bottle to be used another time.

-- Don, Pittsburgh

View patron's profile

#2 posted 07-23-2009 05:18 AM

good tip ,
thanks .
i’ll have to give it a try .

View Tim_456's profile

#3 posted 07-23-2009 05:55 AM

I had heard that some oven cleaners could cause the carbide tips to come off of saw blades. I don’t know if that’s true or not but I’m wondering if simple green causes anything bad to happen? Maybe i just read some bad info.

Thanks for the review!

View Russel's profile

#4 posted 07-23-2009 11:52 AM

I think I first heard about Simple Green for cleaning blades here. I tried and I liked it. I’m with you, I love this stuff.

-- Working at Woodworking

View Sawdust2's profile

#5 posted 07-23-2009 01:14 PM

I’ve got Simple Green in a spray bottle,
I just spray it o full strangth, wait about 10 minutes and then rinse it off.
Same results.

-- No piece is cut too short. It was meant for a smaller project.

View Splinterman's profile

#6 posted 07-23-2009 02:42 PM

Simple Green is one heck of a product which can do untold things around the shop and home and is environment friendly. It’s the only stuff we buy usually in 20 liter containers…..amazing product.

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

#7 posted 07-23-2009 03:47 PM

I had to clean up a router bit yesterday so I tried some lacquer thinner on a paper towel and it worked great….seems to be great for small jobs.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View douglbe's profile

#8 posted 07-24-2009 01:32 AM

I’ve been using Simple Green for a couple of years and love it. I don’t dilute it; I put it in a shallow plastic wash pan and just let my goodies soak for 10 to 15 minutes and rinse. I am still using the same bottle. I don’t think this stuff wears out. Great review.

-- Doug, Reed City, Michigan

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

#9 posted 07-24-2009 08:26 AM

Those concoctions can be a bit scary, especially if chlorine and ammonia get mixed mixed !!

-- Bob in WW ~ "some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

View Shopsmithtom's profile

#10 posted 07-24-2009 02:47 PM

The only thing I didn’t like about it when I used it a couple of years ago was the smell. I used it to get stains out of auto carpet & every time it got wet, I could smell it. I switched to Simple Green Crystal which is a clear odorless version & love it for many things. I’ll have to try this application. -SST

-- Accuracy is not in your power tool, it's in you

View Geedubs's profile

#11 posted 07-24-2009 04:41 PM

I saw the same tip somewhere a few months ago and so I started using Simple Green. I agree with the positive comments…plus it is biodegradable. I let my blades soak overnight and the next day they rinse clean. Be careful of putting any parts in with the blades that have a paint treated surface (like dado chipper blades), however, because they can ‘run’ and stain other metal parts.

-- Todos los dias aprendemos algo nuevo.

View Mike Gager's profile

Mike Gager

#12 posted 07-24-2009 09:44 PM

don be careful mixing cleaning products. you can create all kinds of very dangerous things such as chlorine gas, hydrochloric acid and even very unstable explosives

View Occie gilliam's profile

Occie gilliam

#13 posted 07-24-2009 10:28 PM

thanks Kindlingmaker i will give it a try.

-- OC down in Costa Rica. come down and see me some time. I'll keep the light on for you

View SCOTSMAN's profile

#14 posted 07-24-2009 10:32 PM

Topamax makes a very good point just be careful mixing certain strong cleaning agents together people have died from this with asphyxiation. Alistair

-- excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

View moshel's profile

#15 posted 07-26-2009 10:55 AM

i am using simple green for cleaning and really like it. I also used it to cleaning blades. HOWEVER note that on their site they warn you not to clean blades with it, as it can weaken the bond between the carbide and the metal. so I stopped using it. the last thing i want is carbide tips flying off my blade.

-- The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep...