Plenty of power, good chuck, a little noisy.

Review by dbhost posted 07-22-2009 04:17 PM 1907 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Plenty of power, good chuck, a little noisy. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

It’s been nearly two years since I purchased my Ryobi D46CK driver drill to replace an old Craftsman drill that had been on long term loan a little too long…

The features I liked about this particular drill were the fact that it had a keyless chuck, with a good, predictable chuck. The blow molded case helps with storage and at least TRYING to keep my shop tidy.

Power from this drill has been great, after Hurricane Ike I used it with a 1.5” long shaft (18”) spade bit to bore holes in tree stumps to pour stump rot in… The drill never bogged, never slowed down. Yes I cleared the bore holes every half inch to one inch of depth, but the pace was aggressive and less than graceful. The drill put up with it well.

Driving screws with the clutch set to a reasonable tension keeps easily blown out materials like MDF intact, which is the MAJOR reason I bought a drill with a clutch in the first place.

My only complaints with this drill are two, one is minor, and I am not sure if the other is minor or not…

#1. No bubble levels on this particular model. I got VERY used to using the levels on the old Craftsman that this is very hard to get used to. But I managed.

#2. The drill motor is noisy as it slows down. Now mind you this drill has gotten heavy usage in my shop for nearly two years straight, and it has ALWAYS been noisy. But it makes this somewhat squeaky noise as it spins down to a stop. Not something my Craftsman ever did. I have heard other drills do this though. Ryobi, Ridgid, and Makita particularly. I find it annoying, but I can live with it…

Overall the drill was an excellent value, and has performed up to my expectations. Ryobi would do their customers a HUGE favor by including the levels in the replacement for this model. But keep the clutch, it’s a good one with fine adjustments that really do work! Another feature of the old Craftsman that Ryobi might include is recesses for a 16 piece drill bit set in the blow mold case. I actually had a B&D Ti coated bit set in the Craftsman case. Helped with keeping the shop tidier AND the drill bits handy when you need them!

Overall, if it were lost, stolen, or left in the driveway and run over, I would run out in a hurry and grab another one. I haven’t seen another drill in this price class with the same features period, and the other drills in this price class (lacking the clutch) were just not all that impressive to me.

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

5387 posts in 1978 days

View jlchrls's profile

jlchrls

#1 posted 07-22-2009 04:48 PM

Don’t know this drill, but 20+ years ago I bought a Milwaukee Magnum 1/2” keyless chuck. Variable speed up to 900rpm. I’ve never thought twice about using something else instead of it. The torque is so high I nearly broke my wrist once using a paddle bit that got bound up on me (I use the handle from now on with paddle bits or going through steel) One reason I liked it so much is the hair trigger! I can control it down to about 40 rpms, very handy for starting in hard surfaces. It’s been in use for over 20 years now and still going strong.

I’ve used Ryobi tools before and didn’t like the sound of their motors, can’t say just what but it didn’t sound right to me. But then we all have our preferences.

-- jlchrls, FL, www.woodworking.jlchrlsrecommends.com

5387 posts in 1978 days

#2 posted 07-22-2009 09:45 PM

I know what you mean about the motors. I have lots of Ryobi stuff though, and this is the one that the noise bugs me. It is more than plenty torquey for what it is. This is no hammer drill for sure. But if the bit gets stuck in a bore (which paddle bits seem to like to do) it WILL strip the drill out of your hands, or take you for a ride.

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com