FastCap PMS12 Pro Carpenter Metric/Standard Measuring Tape

Review by jgt1942 posted 09-13-2016 02:08 AM 1923 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
FastCap PMS12 Pro Carpenter Metric/Standard Measuring Tape FastCap PMS12 Pro Carpenter Metric/Standard Measuring Tape No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Recently I received the FasstCap T2001 Flatback Measuring Tape as a gift and was very impressed with it but it is a standard measuring tape and in my efforts to go metric (just because it is SO much easier to add, multiply, subtract and divide measurement) I was disappointed. I called FastCap and they were kind enough to send me a PSM12 Metric/Standard tape and I’m super pleased with it, following are some of the highlights.
1) I already mentioned that it is a metric/standard tape.
2) The background is white, the metric scale is all black print and the standard is black and red where the red marks every-other 1/16 tick. This makes it super easy to quickly see your measurement.
3) The case is covered with shock resistant rubber coating. This should eliminate cracking the case when I drop it.
4) I went with a 12’ tape mainly because I want to carry it in my apron and larger tapes are usually too big.
5) There is an erasable notepad area which you can erase with your finger/thumb. I don’t know how many times I had to remeasure something just because I forgot the darn measurement and did not have anything to write the measurement on.
6) There are dual finger/thumb locks to lock the tape in position when making a measurement and you need to check another measurement against the first. This makes it much easier to lock the tape.
7) The pullout tab has 3 rivets attaching it to the tape. In the past I’ve had tapes come apart because there was only one rivet.
8) The tape is thicker than most thus it is more durable. I’ve had several tapes to break in the past because they were too thin and weak.
9) The pencil sharpener is high carbon steel thus it should stay sharp for a long time. I did try it and it was very easy to sharpen a pencil.
10) The belt clip has a lever action thus it is MUCH easier to either clip it to your belt or remove it. In the past I normally removed the clip because it was so difficult to clip it to my belt.

I’m very pleased with the tape, I will be getting more, and I highly recommend it.
I assume that all of their tapes are the same quality and you would be pleased to use any of them.

-- JohnT

View jgt1942's profile

jgt1942

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#1 posted 09-13-2016 11:04 AM

I have a couple of the FastCap tape measures and love them as the printing is easy to read.

I also have a flat back one which is very good at making accurate measurements. Mine is just inch with no metric.

View dgage's profile

dgage

#2 posted 09-13-2016 08:44 PM

I have probably a half dozen of these 12’ standard/metric tape measures sitting around, definitely my favorite.

View eddie's profile

eddie

#3 posted 09-14-2016 06:39 PM

theses are good tapes , got the one you can write on the tape itself , handy tape s and well made

-- Jesus Is Alright with me

View DMC1903's profile

DMC1903

#4 posted 09-14-2016 10:16 PM

It’s the only tape I look for in my shop.

View MrFid's profile

MrFid

#5 posted 09-16-2016 03:17 PM

You must have gotten the updated version. Mine (about 4 years old) doesn’t have the red marks on the standard. Glad you’re enjoying it!

-- Bailey F - Eastern Mass.

View jgt1942's profile

jgt1942

#6 posted 09-17-2016 07:10 PM

MrFid, are you referring to the red marks in the bottom right in the image of the back? If yes, this is the pencil sharpener and should be yellow. The light hitting it must have produced a color shift.

To all:
I have about 20 tapes from various MFG but I do like the FastCap the best and will be replacing several of my current tapes with FastCap tapes. Some of my existing tapes are seldom used, especially the longer tapes. By longer I mean the 16+ feet. With my woodworking I seldom measure anything over 12 feet.

-- JohnT

View Matt Hegedus's profile

Matt Hegedus

#7 posted 09-25-2016 04:49 PM

I love this tape almost as much as my 12’ Stanley! (It was my dad’s… So it has supernatural value to me :)

-- From Pittsburgh, PA

View Matt C's profile

Matt C

#8 posted 10-13-2016 06:57 PM

Just saw these last night at the local Menards… was quite intrigued and impressed. Haven’t bought one as they didn’t have the full selection on hand but the next time I need to purchase one-It’ll be one of these.