straight-up the best miter saw I've ever used

Review by Sundowner posted 09-12-2016 07:23 PM 3619 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
straight-up the best miter saw I've ever used straight-up the best miter saw I've ever used No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ll start out by saying that after years of wrestling with big 10” and 12” size miter saws and sliding compound miter saws, this little bugger is a revelation. Like most of us, a miter saw is a heavily used tool in my shop, and like most of us, the slide rails suck up more space than I can sacrifice in my shop. Being a happy Festool owner, I had pondered the Kapex, which does not have this problem, but at $1400, it’s a non-starter and doesn’t have the usual Festool ‘wow’ features that put all my other festool products above and beyond the cheaper competition. On top of that, there’s also the Bosch Glide, which looks nice, but it weighs SIXTY FIVE POUNDS! I’m not lugging that thing around anywhere, and I’m not dragging it up and down stairs at jobsites on a wheeled cart. screw that. As a side note, while the Bosch checks-out at $650, it’s only $10/LB, which is still pretty price, if sold like cold cuts.

So in the end, I decided that for shop work, I’d just keep the 12” non-slide DeWalt miter I’ve been using for years, and get the little 20v cordless sliding miter saw for field work. And then the thing took over my life. It cuts EVERYTHING I need in the shop for furniture building, and it cuts EVERYTHING in the field for trim-outs. the big miter saw now collects more dust than it makes. The footprint is the same as the 12” non-slider. the small blade diameter and the short draw on the (relative to the blade size) stocky slides is such that the lateral deflection on the blade is negligible, even when comparing to a fresh Glide or a Kapex.

the saw did come with only one battery, but even the 1.5Ah battery that comes with your drill will power this saw while the big 5Ah battery is charging, so no worries there. the light system that the DeWalts come with now is much better than the old lasers, so there’s that, too.

I don’t like that it’s only a one way bevel, so you do gotta stop and think for big crown cuts, and the dust collection is pretty average (terrible). Hence, the 4 stars instead of the 5.

Still, that being said, unless you regularly do rafter framing or big decks, I wouldn’t waste your time or money on anything but this saw. The bigger models may be more macho, but while you’re wrestling that monster on a cart up the winding stairs or arguing with the electricians for a power drop, I’m already working upstairs.
this is a great saw and worth your serious attention.

View Richard's profile

Richard

1916 posts in 2592 days

#1 posted 09-13-2016 04:35 PM

I had wondered about the New Line of Battery powered Saws coming out lately and if they were any good. Looking forward to some reviews of the battery powered table saws on the market now.

View CyberDyneSystems's profile

CyberDyneSystems

251 posts in 2091 days

#2 posted 09-13-2016 08:42 PM

Thanks for the review. Interesting thoughts.

On a similar note, the first sliding miter saw I ever used was the original Hitachi with an 8” blade. The trend towards the ones we see today with 12” blades came much later.

I feel that those smaller 8” saws were in many ways superior to the larger 12” models for many of the same reasons you state above.

-- Without the wood, it's just working

#3 posted 09-13-2016 08:52 PM

- Richard

for a trim out job, one 5AH battery gets me through the whole day. If I’m cutting 2×4’s for interior wall frame outs, it has to charge at lunch break. I’ve only ever needed to charge it twice in one day on one job. If the saw is sitting on it’s wall-mounted stand in the shop for furniture building, I might charge the battery every two weeks or so.

#4 posted 09-13-2016 09:22 PM

Thanks for the review. Interesting thoughts.

completely agree.
I remember those little Hitachi saws when they were light blue hammertone metal wonders instead of weird green alien spiderplastic they make now.
Dewalt also used to sell a fantastic little 8” slider formerly sold by Elu. I think it was the DW777.

- CyberDyneSystems

View Mike's profile

Mike

#5 posted 02-27-2017 07:01 PM

Is this model different than the DS780?

-- Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.. moderation is for cowards.

#6 posted 04-28-2017 11:04 AM

Is this model different than the DS780?

- Mike

yes. this is a little 7 1/4” saw, not the big 12” model.
way way more portable.

I will now add that after 1/2 a year, I’ve used my big 12” saw exactly once to frame a deck. this little guy gets all the work in the shop.

View dhazelton's profile

dhazelton

#7 posted 06-20-2017 09:50 PM

Just bought it and I have only made some test cuts. I already love it. I have a Craftsman 10 inch non slider from years ago that weighs twice what this does and doesn’t have half the capacity.