Lee Valley Veritas Scraper Plane

Review by PPK posted 09-12-2016 01:48 PM 2151 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Lee Valley Veritas Scraper Plane Lee Valley Veritas Scraper Plane Lee Valley Veritas Scraper Plane Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have been using my new scraper plane on oak so far. I am very pleased with how it works. It is definitely the same concept as using a card scraper. It doesn’t remove nearly as much wood, nor remove wood as fast as a regular plane. However, for scraping and smoothing surfaces with funky grain, this is great.

I read that others had a difficult time getting this thing to work. Either I’m lucky, or just that good – I had it scraping nice curlies within 5 minutes of unboxing it. Set the frog angle to what looked like about 5 degrees, set the depth to about a sheet of paper (set the toe on a sheet of paper, then dropped blade to my tablesaw top), set the blade bow with about 1/8 turn of the bow knob, and voila! The tool came with no burr. I used it with no burr, then with a burr, and then without again. I had the best results with no burr. Kind of weird, I know. But, the thing works! I am using the stock blade that came with it. (0.055”)

The tool’s fit and finish: EXCELLENT. I have NEVER held something so finely made. I can’t find a flaw anywhere. Its a treat to use. All the machining is very well done. Nothing is loose, the parts are just simply well made. The rear tote fits well in my hand. I like the Veritas-style tote shape. I also like the front knob. It works well for pulling the plane, which I did equally as much as pushing it. I think on other types of planes, a more rounded knob may be better, but this is fine on this one. I’ve purchased several things from Lee Valley, and have been happy with all of them. This is no exception. Now I’ve got the itch for the Bevel up Smoother… Sigh… need to drum up some more work to bury that $250 cost in ;-)

-- Pete

View PPK's profile

PPK

View Jarrhead's profile

Jarrhead

#1 posted 09-12-2016 04:28 PM

PPK,
Thanks for the review. I have been looking at the same tool purchase for about a year now. Your write-up has me convinced to take the plunge. There are so many times I need to have the scraping action versus the planning action to tame tearout.

-- trn2wud

View CharlesNeil's profile

CharlesNeil

#2 posted 09-12-2016 06:35 PM

I have one as well and totally agree, a well made and a good performing tool.

View Oldtool's profile

Oldtool

2547 posts in 2093 days

#3 posted 09-27-2016 11:38 PM

I too have this Veritas tool, had some trouble getting it to work at first, but since then – works like a charm. Best for large areas like table tops, far superior to sanding.

-- "I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The point is to bring them the real facts." - Abraham Lincoln