Great & Quiet Portable Belt Drive Compressor

Review by Cato posted 07-21-2009 01:55 PM 6557 views 1 time favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great & Quiet Portable Belt Drive Compressor No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

When I discovered that my loud old direct drive unit would not supply enough air to run my new framing nailer I started searching for a portable belt drive replacement with a 4 or higher CFM @ 90 PSI, which is supposed to be adequate for framers. I wanted a belt drive because I knew they were quieter, and I couldn’t stand the noise of my old one.

I searched on the web and found this compressor to be highly rated by contractors, and it was supposed to be very quiet with plenty of power to run framing nailers.

Boy have I been pleased as punch with this unit. I had seen in it my local Lowe’s but assumed it was another loud direct drive. Wrong, went on the DeWalt web site and found that it was a oiless portable belt drive, with low 1750 rpm speed,78dB noise factor, 1.8 hp and 5.2 CFM @100 PSI, and an unusually high PSI of 200.

Since it was a bit pricey but what I needed I took advantage of a 10% discount Lowe’s was running at the time on nailing compressors and bought it. Good move

Got it home and opening the box the unit was completely assembled and ready to go. My only additions were getting a couple of new sections of air line, and a 25ft. section of heavy duty extension cord.

Turning it on in the shop I was immediately pleased. It quietly chugs along and reaches 200 PSI in about a minute. Top regulated pressure is 140 PSI which is plenty for any tool I am aware of. The cool thing is that the compressor cuts back on when tank drops to 160 PSI. It has two air outlet ports, easy to read 2 inch dials and a large lockable regulator valve. As you can see from the pic it has a roll cage, foam filled no flat tires, and underneath the tank a ball valve drain cock.

Power to spare and then some!! I’ve been framing a shed and at about 92-95 PSI, I can counter sink 3 1/2 inch 16D nails and flush them toe nailing. No stair stepping, no recovery, just plenty of air!! Wonderful.

Dropping back slightly to 90 PSI and a small adjustment to my depth of drive on the framer I can counter sink 8D nails and flush 10D 3 inch.

The nice thing when you are through is that the unit stores vertical flat against the wall, which is a big space saver. The handle extends for transport or collapses back into the unit. I leave mine extended and wrap the extension cord and two 50ft. sections of hose on it. Nice neat and tidy.

I highly recommend this compressor.

View Cato's profile

Cato

641 posts in 2061 days

#1 posted 07-21-2009 03:11 PM

Thanks for the revew, Cato. I am a fan of Dewalt tools and this one looks pretty good.

#2 posted 07-21-2009 04:25 PM

Good review I have tons of dewalt tools.

#3 posted 07-21-2009 04:30 PM

Nice review.

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#4 posted 07-21-2009 10:51 PM

nice review. I have their smaller compressor. It’s mostly for small jobs, since it takes a while to recover, and needs it very often, but for my 18g nailing applications it’s quite enough. I like the 2 port built-in. not many compressors have that out of the box.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View Don K.'s profile

View pitchnsplinters's profile

pitchnsplinters

#6 posted 07-22-2009 02:10 AM

Makita MAC2400

-- Just 'cause a cat has kittens in the oven, it don't make 'em biscuits.

View Rog's profile

Rog

#7 posted 07-23-2009 09:10 PM

Great review and as luck would have it I have Dewalt tools too and have found them to be just the ticket for me. I did buy one craftsman air compressor which is loud and has only enough air to run a brad nailer, stapler and pump up tires. When I buy my next compressor it will be the Dewalt D55146 for the same reason you bought it. Thanks for the great review.

-- I get out to the shop when Ryan lets me. Arggggggggggg

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

#8 posted 07-09-2011 10:01 PM

Thanks for the review. I have one and like you I love it.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View reggiek's profile

reggiek

2240 posts in 2019 days

#9 posted 07-09-2011 10:25 PM

I typically find Dewalt to be a great tool (I own several of them)..I love my DW611PK – best compact router made IMO…..it is hard to know how the new tools from any of the brands are coming out (seems like all the tool mfg are being bought and sold every day)...so far though Dewalt is holding up…

Thanks for the review….I have used alot of DeWalt compressors on jobsites….usually with a crew framing and sometimes some finishers doing cabinetry work….They hold up great….I had one in my shop for the longest time….and it is still working at a jobsite somewhere (gave it to my nephew as he needed a good jobsite compressor and had been a bit short on work)....I am still looking for a good shop compressor (using a Hitachi pancake temporarily). If DeWalt made one the size I want for my shop – It would at or near the top of my list.

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!