LED Shop Light

Review by Jim Jakosh posted 09-10-2016 05:42 PM 6438 views 3 times favorited 25 comments Add to Favorites Watch
LED Shop Light LED Shop Light LED Shop Light Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have often wanted to replace my 4ft- dual florescent light fixtures with LED lights but they have been too expensive everywhere- until now. The florescent ones come on real low when it is cold and the bulbs seem to burn out a lot and some of them hum.

During Menards Labor Day sale these 4’ Smart Electrician LED lights were on sale for $14.88 after rebate. I have been using them for about a week and I can’t believe the difference over the old lights. It seems like I’m in a different shop with all the light.
The are cool white (4000K), they have a 5’ cord with a plug and a pull switch with a chain and the housing is aluminum. The use 45 watts which is about half of the old ones.

They make a 4200 lumen one too and I’d have to wear sun glasses with them, I think!

Next time they are on sale, I’ll get 10 more to replace all the old ones!

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#1 posted 09-10-2016 05:46 PM

That is a GOOD price!

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

7382 posts in 2039 days

#2 posted 09-10-2016 07:15 PM

Jim, I wish I would of seen that sale and I was at Menards Saturday. I bought a Honeywell 4500 lumen one at Sam’s club a couple months ago and can’t believe the difference. I installed it by the washer and dryer and my wife said it was too bright. So I put it over the workbench. Wow! I’ve been looking for a good sale but I guess not close enough.

-- Dave, Downers Grove, Il. -------- When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams.

View lew's profile

lew

12056 posts in 3751 days

#3 posted 09-10-2016 08:45 PM

I really need to replace my old florescent fixtures. I have two 8’ lights and a couple of 4’. The 8’ are still quite expensive. May do a set of 4s when they go.

I was subbing at school the other day and students from the Electrical trades were replacing the florescent tube with LEDs. These tubes didn’t even require disconnecting the ballast. They just swapped them out!

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

#4 posted 09-10-2016 10:57 PM

Hi Dave. Our Menards was almost as busy as black Friday for 3 days of that sale. they also had 2 60watt equiv LED bulbs for 1.88 – no rebate. I usually pay $5 to $8 for them. I loaded up! I’m sure they have them again..

Hi Lew. I have never see LED tubes that go right into a fluorescent fixture. I wonder how many watts they would take? I have some humming ballasts so I’m glad to be rid of them. These things hit me with the same impact like the first time I used Shark Bite fittings for plumbing..WOW was the word.

Cheers, Jim

View firefighterontheside's profile (online now)

firefighterontheside

#5 posted 09-10-2016 11:06 PM

I have bought and installed at the firehouse some led replacement for T8 fluorescent. They could either be used with the ballast or disconnect the ballast and wire straight thru. They are not as efficient if you leave the ballast in. The ballast gets warm and therefore wastes energy.

-- Bill M. "People change, walnut doesn't" by Gene.

View Bob Collins's profile

Bob Collins

#6 posted 09-10-2016 11:27 PM

Good idea Jim, I have fluorescent but could do with something brighter.

-- Bob C, Australia. Your best teacher is your last mistake.

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

#7 posted 09-11-2016 12:32 AM

Bright idea Jim (excuse the pun). I expect they will be much cheaper to run.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

#8 posted 09-11-2016 10:26 AM

thanks for the info Jim..now I know what to look for …it’s getting harder and harder to see as I get older & older :-(

#9 posted 09-11-2016 10:55 AM

Hi Bill, I don’t know how the same bulb would work with or without a ballast, but with electronics, they can work miracles!!

Hi Tony, they are about half the power and much more illumination form that one bulb!! I have two of those bent tube fluorescence light over the end of my shop and that is 4 bulbs burning when I turn that on. I’ll save 75% there.

Hi Michelle, I’m with you on things getting harder to see. These light really brighten the whole shop up and the seem to spread light sideways better than the fluorescents.

View Blackie_'s profile

Blackie_

#10 posted 09-11-2016 12:03 PM

Great Jim. When I did my shop redo year before last, I removed and replaced all fluorescent lighting with recessed LED lighting through out the shop raising my ceiling, reducing electricity cost and removing the changing out of light bulbs.

-- Randy - If I'm not on LJ's then I'm making Saw Dust. Please feel free to visit my store location at http://www.facebook.com/randy.blackstock.custom.wood.designs

View splintergroup's profile

splintergroup

2010 posts in 1218 days

#11 posted 09-11-2016 02:43 PM

My shop lights are the 4-tube (4 foot) troffers, I have them wired so each pair of tubes are on a separate switch.
I decided to replace on pair in each fixture with LEDs (ballasts are bypassed). Technically the LEDs are the same brightness, but all the light is focused downwards instead of using the reflector as with the fluorescents. The net effect is noticeably brighter!

Even though the efficiency is about the same as the fluorescents, having the lights full brightness when the power is first turned on, no problems with cold temps, and none of that infernal humming, they are bliss! At $9 (delivered) per tube, the price was tolerable as well (they are now down to $6.50 at earthleds.com).

A fully recommended upgrade.

#12 posted 09-11-2016 08:22 PM

Hi Randy, I’m right behind you on that. it is my plan for the future!!

Hi splintergroup. Thanks for the lead on those bulbs. I’ll bet others can use them too!!

View Cliff 's profile

Cliff

#13 posted 09-12-2016 12:22 PM

Yes, Leds are the way to go….I will be looking into them in the future.

Cliff.

-- Cliff Australia : Snoring is good. It blows away all the Sawdust.

View roofner's profile

roofner

#14 posted 09-13-2016 03:47 AM

Earth leds are about 10 and free shipping and tax free. They are much brighter and no flicker. You do have to rewire and remove balist not hard to do. I think they are 400 lumens. No more worry of balast burning out.

View marcsitkin's profile

marcsitkin

#15 posted 09-13-2016 08:53 AM

I just picked up some 4 foot LED’s from BJ’s this week, for about $18 each. They have made a huge difference in my shop. It’s like having sunlight in the basement. Love them!

-- Thanks, Marc Sitkin, Harwich, MA