8" Diameter 1-1/2" Wide 180 Grit CBN Wheel

Review by Kelly posted 09-09-2016 08:12 AM 1977 views 1 time favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
8" Diameter  1-1/2" Wide 180 Grit CBN Wheel 8" Diameter  1-1/2" Wide 180 Grit CBN Wheel No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased a 1-1/2” wide, eight inch diameter 180 grit wheel from Arizona Silhouette for $147.00, including shipping. It was delivered, from PA to WA, in about three days.

The wheel was well packaged. Once opened and at the grinder, it’s obvious the 8” wheel makes the 6” (80 grit) wheel I just bought look like and feel like a toy. That said, the 6” wheel is a good investment and I would recommend it too, from Wood Turner Wonders, but that’s another review.

The mounted wheel rolled with little or no vibration. I haven’t taken it to even a 1000 RPM yet, since I had no need to.

I sharpened a couple gouges I’d shaped with my 8” wheel and it was a smooth, easy and quick process.

As with the other CBN wheel, it’s comforting to know the wheel isn’t going to explode, isn’t going to alter in size and should last for years [sharpening HSS].

It’s also nice to know I can trail down the sides of the wheel, due to its round-over design. And the extra 1/2” of surface width makes it easier to avoid wandering off the edge, when it’s not intended.

Used in conjunction with my Wolverine Jigs, these wheels guarantee my knives will cut they way they are intended.

I, highly, recommend the wheels, which can be purchased at:

#1 posted 09-12-2016 07:58 PM

I updated the pictures to a [kind of] before and after. I still have to:

1) grind off the obnoxious bar on the right (already did the left, so I could install the CBN wheel);

2) swap the temporary 2x’s for the aluminum angle I’m going to install the Wolverine bases on;

3) mount the base for the 6” 80 grit wheel;

4) make up some shields for the belts and wheels.

(projects 2,1984, 2,1985, .....

#2 posted 09-22-2016 05:08 PM

I’ve used this wheel for numerous sharpenings and I remain impressed with it. I keep my wheels turning around a few hundred RPM and the wheel makes quick work of the edges and show zero wear. By now, I would have had to dress my other wheels at least a couple times and there would have been a lot of grit on the table, from both the wheel and the item being sharpened.