Trend T4 Plunge Router

Review by tenontim posted 07-21-2009 01:57 AM 7432 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Average rating: 5.0
1 review total
Add my Review

Trend T4 Plunge Router No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought one of these routers about 10 months ago. It’s the first and only plunge router that I own, and I couldn’t be more pleased with it. I guess the thing that I like the most is the size to power ratio. I think it’s listed at about 8 lbs and puts out just over 1 HP. It’s very well made and easy to operate, with it’s variable speed motor and smooth plunge mechanism. It has a plunge stop with 3 different settings. Comes with a very nice oversize guide, which I use almost every time I route with this machine. I use it to cut dadoes for panels in the legs of the desk and buffetts that I make. The only down size is the part support. There aren’t many distributors carrying parts, mainly due to the cost of the machine, about $100. I did contact Trend with a request for a locking plate, for holding the spindle when changing bits. The rep at Trend said he would find one for me and sent it out, no cost to me.
Overall, this is a good “bang for your buck” router. I’m looking at getting the plunge base for one of my Bosch 1617’s and see how it is to use a large router with the plunge capabilities.

View tenontim's profile

tenontim

#1 posted 07-21-2009 02:10 AM

Tim: I bought one of these routers about 10 years ago. I got it at Woodworkers Wharehouse (since out of business). It’s a great router just like you stated.

View Raymond McInnis's profile

Raymond McInnis

36 posts in 1900 days

#2 posted 07-21-2009 02:40 AM

tim, my assumption is that you use the plunge router for mortising.

on your morris chairs do you use 1) mortises and tenons with half-round edges (ie, from a router or horizontal martiser)? and do you use 2) floating tenons (ie, the ends of stretchers etc are mortised to receive the tenons)?

while i am far from a professional woodworker in skill, i use these all the time myself.

only “purists”—like Morris himself—i think, would insist on the old-fashioned drilled and chiseled mortise and tenon joints. however, something tells me that maybe a purist buying a high-end morris chair might insist on traditional m and t.

ray

-- Raymond McInnis Washington State ray@woodworkinghistory.com

View Dan'um Style's profile

Dan'um Style

#3 posted 07-21-2009 02:55 AM

Tim: Thanks for the good review. I have a porter cable 690 and have used it for many years. Been looking at smaller routers and this one fits my budget. It is NOW on my wish list.

-- keeping myself entertained ... Humor and fun lubricate the brain

View Lee A. Jesberger's profile

Lee A. Jesberger

#4 posted 07-21-2009 02:59 AM

Hi Tim;

Great job on the review.

Lee

View tenontim's profile

tenontim

#5 posted 07-21-2009 04:05 AM

Ray, I don’t use routers for mortising, I use a chisel mortiser, or a dedicated drill press, set up as a chisel mortiser. I cut the tenons on the table saw, unless on a long piece, such as bed rails, then I use a horizontal router jig that I made. I only cut mortise and tenons by hand for practice or on pieces that only have a few mortise/tenon joints.

View Bob42's profile

Bob42

#6 posted 07-21-2009 07:48 PM

Tim,
I got mine about the same time and have used it a few times now and so far it works very well. i wasn’t sure how well it was made but for $100.00 I was pleasantly surprised. Thanks for the review.

-- Bob K. East Northport, NY

View RouterManiac's profile

RouterManiac

96 posts in 1934 days

#7 posted 07-27-2009 06:43 PM

Thanks for the review, I see that trend carries some larger routers now. I was thinking about getting one of those but was not sure of the brand.

-- Ken, Florida, www.theroutermaniac.com

View daveintexas's profile

daveintexas

#8 posted 08-05-2009 12:43 AM

Of you folks that have one of these new T4 routers-
Have you tried it for inlay work?

I have a T3, but the problems with it, beside the switch, are the plunge is not smooth and the lock lever for the plunge has to be really cranked down, otherwise it comes off, not a good thing for a router when doing inlay work.

I heard the plunge base for the Colt router is $400.00. Is that for real ???

View geneo1's profile

geneo1

#9 posted 08-27-2009 02:16 AM

I have the colt router and refuse to pay $400 for a plunge base, I think i will buy the trend T4 after reading your review. I have a PC 690 with a plunge base to big for some inlay’s. THANKS

-- God Bless America

112086 posts in 2230 days

#10 posted 08-27-2009 04:26 AM

Thanks tim I like mine also

View Howie's profile

Howie

#11 posted 05-29-2010 01:56 PM

Commenting on the Trend router: I had one that had “issues” and Trend sent me a brand new one. They have changed their service location to North Carolina. If you have one and have to return it,check the website for return address the one on the warranty(unless it’s new) is incorrect.
The new router works fine and does everything I want it to.

-- Life is good.

View Geedubs's profile

Geedubs

#12 posted 03-16-2011 05:49 AM

I just picked one up new from allprotools.com for $83 with free shipping (packaged the inlay accessory with it…also on sale…in order to get to the $100 free shipping threshold). Looking forward to getting this and trying it.

-- Todos los dias aprendemos algo nuevo.