Micro Jig Zero Play miter bar

Review by JKN posted 09-07-2016 12:17 AM 2594 views 1 time favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Micro Jig Zero Play miter bar No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I put together a small cut off sled using one of these guide bars
It worked out well and I won’t have to deal with the seasonal swelling of wood runners. It was also easier than using the white plastic UMW (sp?) and having to fit it.
2 points:
I made the bar fit tighter in the slot than the directions recommend because there was still play in the board until I made the fit tighter
I used 3/4” plywood and had to counter bore a 1/2 ” hole 7/16 deep so the short screws would project enough to screw into the bar. Next time I will get longer screws so I don’t have to drill such a deep countersink. They list the screw size in the instructions, why can’t they include 3 longer screws to be used with 3/4 plywood?
Overall happy with the way it works

View JKN's profile

JKN

View OggieOglethorpe's profile

OggieOglethorpe

#1 posted 09-07-2016 12:45 PM

Another way to avoid swelling and shrinking of wooden runners is to make them from 1/4” Baltic birch ply.

You can specifically size them to press-fit into your slots, with the outer plies oriented parallel to the length. The ultra hard inner birch end grade plies will outlast you, and hold lubricating wax nicely as they burnish to a polish in use. You can also glue and screw from above, using the tool itself to align double runner sleds.

View Scott Oldre's profile

Scott Oldre

#2 posted 09-08-2016 03:37 AM

I use the incra adjustable runners on both my sleds, and have extra lengths for jigs as the need arises.

-- Scott, Irmo SC

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#3 posted 09-10-2016 12:58 PM

Lot’s of cool accessories on the market these days. I love the idea of using these for a smaller sled.

FWIW, if you ever come across scrap UHMW, you can plane it like butter with a low angle block plane and take off whisper thin shavings.

-- I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam