JET 16" x 42" Variable Speed Wood Lathe WL-1642-2EVS ~ 2HP, 230V

Review by XDM525 posted 09-07-2016 12:17 AM 4686 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
JET 16" x 42" Variable Speed Wood Lathe WL-1642-2EVS ~ 2HP, 230V No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

After 10 days of research and comparison I decided on a Jet . Many factors were resolved but the hangup was finding a lathe at the best price from a company that would give confidence in the purchase and the process. I wanted to save the $170 sales tax dollars too. So I got on line looking for the lathe. What I found was lots of companies that did not have the 1642 in stock. Finally, I found one on ebay (eqss1) and at a price 600 bucks less than anyone else. Too good to be true. Long story made short (er), I contacted Jet to verify the sell (Equipment Sales and Surplus, Auburn WA) was legit,—-they were, and the seller has a 100% rating on ebay. So I pulled the trigger. I had some questions about shipping and determined to talk to someone, found the phone number of the seller and called them. Got answers to every question, a tracking number very quickly, and in the process found people who were eager to service the sale in the most considerate and accommodating way. So if you’re interested in the JWL-1642-2EVS, 16” x 42” EVS PRO Wood Lathe, 2HP mod. 708360, check them out. My new lathe is coming soon and now I’m needing to buy some tools. Any suggestions, I’m thinking carbide tips. Worth the money?

View OSU55's profile

OSU55

1920 posts in 2160 days

#1 posted 09-07-2016 12:02 PM

If you want to go carbide, make your own handles and see Capn Eddie about inserts, but….......I have been there (here and here) and don’t recommend carbide. Never liked them for spindle turning, and after I learning how to use bowl gouges properly, the carbide gathers dust. Benjamin’s Best or Hurricane are good solid HSS tools and great values. Slow speed 8” grinder and a wolverine type jig for sharpening. Look at PSI Barracuda lathe chucks – when comparing chucks pay attention to the jaw sets that come with a chuck, and how much additional jaw sets are. I’ve found uses for all the jaw sets that come with the Barracuda.

#2 posted 09-07-2016 01:35 PM

OSU55, thanks for the direction. I have a full shop and I use carbide saws and router bits exclusively and I buy good stuff, but the cost of turning tools is a whole new arena with a commonly surprisingly higher cost than even the best carbide saw blades. I am not afraid of HSS and your direction will be a good starting point for learning. thanks

View WhoMe's profile

WhoMe

#3 posted 09-07-2016 11:40 PM

Both carbide and steel have their place in turning and both have different applications that work well on each tool. in my case I did not have a way to sharpen steel so I bought carbide. Ill eventually all buy some steel tools but I’m happy with my carbide tools for now. all I turn is pens and handles essentially outside turning and carbide works fine for me. if you plan to turn inside like bowls and vases everything I have seen steel is the way to go.

I can second the recommendation for benjamins best as affordable steel tools i’ve heard this several times from users that I encounter

-- I'm not clumsy.. It's just the floor hates me, the tables and chairs are bullies, the wall gets in the way AAANNNDDD table saws BITE my fingers!!!.. - Mike -

#4 posted 09-08-2016 03:07 AM

WhoMe, Your advice confirms my research so far, thanks. So, I’m looking at HSS tools. Are the Benjamin’s Best a brand of Penn State Ind.? I see PSI tools on Amazon and wonder if they are the same tools.

I have some capacity to sharpen tools, but am not likely to buy anything ‘spensive any time soon. While I saved big on the Jet 1642-2, I’ll be happy for now with some reasonably good tools and some wood.

View jeff's profile

jeff

#5 posted 09-09-2016 07:27 AM

Benjamin’s Best are Penn State’s brand.I have a set of their bowl/spindle gouges and scrapers.I like them a lot.They represent a good tool at reasonable prices.

-- Jeff,Tucson,Az.

#6 posted 09-09-2016 01:46 PM

thanks Jeff. I will focus on them. What tools would y’all recommend I get for general turning while I build skill?

View jeff's profile

jeff

#7 posted 09-11-2016 07:11 AM

This set looks looks like good start..https://www.pennstateind.com/store/LXWM1007.html
After you get some turning time on your new lathe you should write up a more comprehensive review :)
My BB’s tools needed a little sharpening when I received mine-not an issue as I was using them within minutes after touching them up on my grinder.

-- Jeff,Tucson,Az.