The Works works for cleaning glue bottles

Review by TexAus posted 09-02-2016 04:47 PM 3046 views 2 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The Works works for cleaning glue bottles No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I love stuff that’s cheap and works and The Works toilet bowl cleaner is one such product. I’ve used it before for removing rust from tools but recently found another use – dissolving glue. I had two Glu Bot glue bottles that had been sitting with old glue in them for much too long. When I went to clean them out I found that there was glue that was gummed up in them and some dried in places I couldn’t get to well to clean out. I tried soaking them in water for a few weeks and while that did soften some of the gummy glue I still couldn’t get the glue out. So in a moment of great brilliance (or desperation) I decided to fill the Glu Bot bottles with The Works and let them sit overnight. The next morning when I checked them I was ecstatic to find all the gummy and dry glue was magically gone! Even the really hard dried glue that was in the treads where the tips screw on (I couldn’t get it out with a pick) was gone. Now the bottles I thought were destined for the trash are as clean as a whistle. I washed the bottles out with plenty of water and they show no signs of damage – they look as good as new. So if you need to clean out glue – and in my case it was regular Tightbond PVA glue – give The Works a try. It worked great for me.

View TexAus's profile

TexAus

View Tim_456's profile

Tim_456

#1 posted 09-02-2016 07:27 PM

I’ve got some glue stubbornly worked into the grooves of my bar clamps..I might use this to loosen it up. THanks for the tip!

#2 posted 09-02-2016 07:37 PM

I learn something new everyday-

View fivecodys's profile

fivecodys

#3 posted 09-02-2016 08:24 PM

This site never ceases to amaze me!
Thanks for sharing.

-- I always knew I would grow old, But I expected it to take longer!

View AtlanticBryan's profile

AtlanticBryan

28 posts in 1994 days

#4 posted 09-03-2016 12:17 PM

I just finished looking this stuff up … it’s hydrochloric acid. No wonder it works so well!

-- I'm not talking to myself ... I'm consulting an expert!

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

#5 posted 09-03-2016 01:02 PM

Good news thanks.

A little wax on the threads keeps the glue off as well.

View HerbC's profile

HerbC

#6 posted 09-03-2016 01:03 PM

I ve got some glue stubbornly worked into the grooves of my bar clamps..I might use this to loosen it up. THanks for the tip!

- Tim_456

I just finished looking this stuff up … it s hydrochloric acid. No wonder it works so well!

- AtlanticBryan

I wouldn’t use this on anything that was metal…

-- Herb, Florida - Here's why I close most messages with "Be Careful!" http://lumberjocks.com/HerbC/blog/17090

View Julian's profile

Julian

#7 posted 09-05-2016 02:08 AM

Also works well to remove rust on old machinery and parts. Just need to clean and neutralize the metal when finished.
I’ve use the “works” to restore old planes and a jointer. Very effective.

-- Julian

View NormG's profile (online now)

#8 posted 09-05-2016 06:46 PM

Another unintended use that is great news

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

#9 posted 09-05-2016 11:30 PM

I ve use the “works” to restore old planes and a jointer. Very effective.

- Julian

I’m with you so far- please describe the steps that you proceed with. Apply product then what do you do?

View Julian's profile

Julian

#10 posted 09-06-2016 03:19 PM

Desert; I pour the liquid into a plastic tub and then put the rusted parts inside to soak. How long, depends on how badly the parts are rusted. Wear rubber gloves and work in a well ventilated area. Then with a wire or brass bristle brush or sand paper I start cleaning the parts. A scotch pad might also work. When the parts are clean, I wash them with a baking soda and water mixture to neutralize the acid. When all the cleaning is done I apply a few coats of wax.

-- Julian

#11 posted 09-06-2016 07:08 PM

Thanks

View TexAus's profile

TexAus

#12 posted 09-06-2016 07:27 PM

I wanted to add a note of warning regarding using The Works for rust removal. I once placed part of a Millers Falls hand drill in a container filled with The Works – big mistake. I almost ruined it because if dissolved some of the metal that I believe was cast iron – it was part of the frame. So sometimes it can work a little too good.

View kajunkraft's profile

kajunkraft

#13 posted 09-09-2016 03:59 AM

Thanks. This is a very useful tip for a lot of things.