For all practical purposes DW735 doesn't produce snipe...

Review by CrazyRussianWoodShop posted 08-28-2016 11:46 PM 8105 views 0 times favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
For all practical purposes DW735 doesn't produce snipe... No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I am not going to use the micrometer like Matthias Wandel did to measure the snipe in his review of DW735 but I will let you see the lack of it (for all practical purposes) with your own eyes by attaching my camera to the board and sending it through the planer (you will see the straight line that the cutter head produces on both ends) and then checking for snipe with the straight edge.

Disclaimer: if you look really close and use the micrometer you will find a tiny snipe. My point is–for all practical purposes, DW735 doesn’t produce the snipe.

It is a 1.5 min. video clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO3gJwJv3Oc

-- Michael Makarevich (CrazyRussianWoodShop): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYNOkVS7B5_6A3GgNq7TtrQ

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

3341 posts in 1939 days

#1 posted 08-29-2016 12:05 AM

I want to know how you attached the camera. That was pretty cool.

#2 posted 08-29-2016 12:16 AM

I want to know how you attached the camera. That was pretty cool.

- CharlesA

Ha, ha… Very simple. It is my iPhone 6.

Firstly, I placed a long narrow piece of plywood on two supporters, one by the front extension table and the other one by the rear extension table and placed the phone there (the strip of plywood was not touching the planer), so that the phone is not getting the vibration from the planer. And the part of the clip where the camera is going along with the board I just ran that strip of plywood with the camera (lower) and a piece of oak (higher) on the top of it through the cutter head… Very simple…:))

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#3 posted 08-29-2016 12:23 AM

Excellent presentation – The inside view of the active machine was fantastic.
Best to you

View Ottacat's profile

Ottacat

493 posts in 1993 days

#5 posted 08-29-2016 01:21 PM

Good video, thanks for making it and sharing it here.

View dday's profile

dday

#6 posted 08-29-2016 04:33 PM

Curious as to what it would look like on a smaller (lighter) board, say a 4/4 piece of oak.
I have a old Ryobi AP1300 and it has no snipe when I do my part, otherwise it will have a slight bit a couple of inches from each end of the board….

It seems the lighter the board, the more prone it is to snipe. Any chips under the infeed or outfeed and bed under the rollers and you could have issues…

Cool video…

#7 posted 08-29-2016 09:19 PM

Cool video…

- dday

Thanks, yes the snipe would be more pronounced on real short boards but still way better than the best results my old Delta planer could do in that respect. Hope it helps…

View playingwithmywood's profile

playingwithmywood

#8 posted 08-30-2016 05:21 AM

I have I think it is the best planner you can buy that runs on 110 but yea it has been proven the extension tables are not a accessory but mandatory… great video

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

#9 posted 08-30-2016 05:38 PM

I have the same planer and I really like it. I do get some snipe on the front and back ends of 6’ or longer 4/4 boards (cherry and walnut). My solution is to plane them before I square up the ends. Then, any snipe is cut off with the end splits and other unusable part of the board. I also will hold the board at a slight angle when starting the feed and also as it comes off at the end of the run.

On my planer, I can see and feel when the board reaches the back roller at the start of the board and also at the end of the cut as the board moves past the front roller. Probably means things aren’t perfectly level. However, setting up roller stands so the infeed and outfeed are perfectly level is basically an exercise in futility so I tolerate a little extra loss on the ends.

View jacquesr's profile

jacquesr

#10 posted 08-31-2016 01:21 AM

Congrats on finding a way to make you phone even thinner…. :)

#11 posted 08-31-2016 01:33 AM

Congrats on finding a way to make you phone even thinner…. :)

- jacquesr

And smoother :)

#12 posted 08-31-2016 09:19 PM

I put a Shelix head on mine, which has been a great upgrade.
It’s a worthy planer, and pretty sturdy for a benchtop tool.

View playingwithmywood's profile

playingwithmywood

#13 posted 09-01-2016 06:11 AM

I put a Shelix head on mine, which has been a great upgrade.
It s a worthy planer, and pretty sturdy for a benchtop tool.

- pintodeluxe

same here after I put a shelix on my joiner that forced me to do it also on my planner :) now the same knives for both tools a big win

View lennyk's profile

lennyk

#14 posted 09-01-2016 10:33 AM

love mine too, just put on the wixley gauge

nicked my blades planing some pallet wood the other day, learnt my lesson with that

#15 posted 09-02-2016 01:21 AM

I put a Shelix head on mine, which has been a great upgrade.
It s a worthy planer, and pretty sturdy for a benchtop tool.

- pintodeluxe

I agree, I didn’t even have to bolt it down–it is heavy enough to be reasonably stable unless you plan really heavy long boards…