mail order hardwood lumber

Review by KDL posted 07-17-2009 06:35 PM 4459 views 2 times favorited 25 comments Add to Favorites Watch
mail order hardwood lumber mail order hardwood lumber No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is a wood source review. I was impressed enough with the vendor to want to post. They are knowledgeable and personable.

I’m building cabinets and wanted quartersawn/rift cherry for the door rails and stiles. My local supplier doesn’t separate cherry into rift and quartered, so I went to the Internet and found http://www.dunham-hardwoods.com. Marty, the gentleman I dealt with, understood what I wanted, was able to find the material, hit-or-miss plane it, cut it to a shippable length, and sent it UPS. My first order easily met the definition of FAS rift/quarter cherry, though it had a few knots and some flatsawn. I had no problems working it. My second order was pure quartersawn with no defects—it’s perfect wood, and some boards are fully 8’-8”. For my third order I’d already taken the best quartersawn, but they found some rift that again exceeds FAS. It’s got some sapwood, but it’s fairly straight-grained, has few defects, and is nearly all rift.

Keep in mind that UPS charges extra for boards over 5’. For my coat closet doors, which are 6’6”, I had to pay extra shipping to get longer boards. But for my most recent bundle of four boards at four feet long, I paid $15 in shipping and never had to leave the house. And on the subject of UPS, I ask for extra wrapping on the boards because some UPS drivers aren’t careful.

View KDL's profile

KDL

View Don K.'s profile

Don K.

1075 posts in 1978 days

#1 posted 07-17-2009 07:09 PM

Nice, thanks for the review on the supplier.

-- Don S.E. OK

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#2 posted 07-17-2009 07:23 PM

good review – thanks!

looks like some good boards there :)

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View reggiek's profile

reggiek

2240 posts in 1921 days

#3 posted 07-17-2009 10:13 PM

Great review….and very useful….I will keep them in mind when I need some additional materials.

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!

#4 posted 07-18-2009 03:31 AM

Nice review. Good to know of a good supplier. He’s in the middle of the country too, not too far from anywhere:-))

On UPS, I knew of a rifle barrel maker who got one back bent into a “U” shape!!

112075 posts in 2228 days

#5 posted 07-18-2009 05:48 AM

thanks for the review

View BTKS's profile

BTKS

1967 posts in 2115 days

#6 posted 07-18-2009 06:21 AM

Really nice review. I had never considered mail ordering hardwood. Now I know better. Fortunately I have great luck with local sawyers for domestic species but no exotic. Thanks for the input. BTKS

-- "Man's ingenuity has outrun his intelligence" (Joseph Wood Krutch)

View Pete_Jud's profile

Pete_Jud

#7 posted 07-18-2009 07:20 AM

I have used http://www.cookwoods.com/ a couple of times with great results. UPS shipping can be spendy.

-- Life is to short to own an ugly boat.

View bowyer's profile

bowyer

340 posts in 2047 days

#8 posted 07-18-2009 10:49 AM

Thanks for the review. It’s good to here about reliable companies to order wood from.

-- If at first you don't succeed...Don't try skydiving

View WoodSpanker's profile

WoodSpanker

519 posts in 2043 days

#9 posted 07-18-2009 10:58 AM

It IS usually UPS that screws up and damages things being shipped. Now, I work for UPS, so dont tell them I said that.

-- Adventure? Heh! Excitement? Heh! A Woodworker craves not these things!

#10 posted 07-18-2009 08:20 PM

WoodSpanker, Big Bro is watching. I heard about an employer who was requiring MySpace, Facebook and Twitter user names and passwords on employment applications!!:-((

View Don K.'s profile

Don K.

1075 posts in 1978 days

#11 posted 07-18-2009 09:08 PM

Bob,
My son said the same thing when he got his security back ground check in the military..they wanted all of his user names AND pass words so they could check up on what he has said/done/going to say in the future etc. When he told me this I said “Well what if you don’t have any of those things” He said “Dad..in todays society, if you don’t have any of those things…you are either really old, or weird…there is no way they would even believe me if I said I had none of them….and would have marked me down as a lier and my security clearance would have been dead in the water then and there”

I guess I am really Old…(Or really weird lol)

-- Don S.E. OK

#12 posted 07-18-2009 11:43 PM

Count me as really old AND wierd :-)) The only one I have is MySpace just to see some comments about migraine prevention. Never did anything else on it except tell the jial bait that wanted to party to come on over, but they never showed up:-(( I’ve never seen Norm’s favorite TV show or any of the other crap polluting the air waves during primetime. Guess my security clearance doesn’t stand a chance!!

View Chris Wright's profile

Chris Wright

#13 posted 07-19-2009 06:08 AM

Thanks for the review. The prices are really good too.

-- "At its best, life is completely unpredictable." - Christopher Walken

View Steve's profile

Steve

#14 posted 07-19-2009 02:03 PM

I was looking through the price list and came across “Colonial Maple”. Can anyone tell me what that is?

-- Steve - kingwood, Texas

#15 posted 07-19-2009 04:00 PM

Finding a good supplier isn’t my problem.
Finding ANYBODY in my area that sells hardwoods for furniture building is the problem.
Even places that bill themselves as hardwood suppliers have only mass produced moldings, not boards.
Ordering hardwoods without seeing the wood, without seeing the guy, face to face, fills me with dread. But I will have to do it or become a feller of hardwoods myself. That’s just not going to happen.

Oh me.

Oh my.

Being a tool addict leads to so many other problems!

Best regards,
Don

-- Will trade wife's yarn for tools.