Ordered New Lathe Today

Review by StanCurtis posted 1821 days ago 2162 views 0 times favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ordered New Lathe Today No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Today I ordered a new JET JWL-1442VSK wood lathe. The dealer did not have one in-stock, but it is to be delivered from the distribution center on Friday per his promise.

I would like to thank ND2ELK for introducing me to LumberJocks.com. The reviews and forums were a great help to me.

One of the reasons I chose this particular lathe is the accessories I have for my JET 1014 lathe are nearly all usable on the larger unit. My small lathe, which I have been using for three or four years, will be almost fully used as a sharpening/honing station for my carving tools. I use eight inch wheels, both paper with green compound and floppy with white. The hard felt wheel I have is used very little, primarily for heavier sharpening with emery paste.

After the new lathe gets to me I will give some feedback on setting up. etc. And I am really looking forward to larger turning projects.

-- Stan Curtis

View StanCurtis's profile

StanCurtis

111999 posts in 2161 days

look forward to more feedback

View pitchnsplinters's profile

pitchnsplinters

262 posts in 2022 days

FYI, this is not a Review.

In the future please blog about your purchase and reserve the review area for feedback on the tools performance, Manufacturer’s customer support, and your all around dis/satisfaction with the tool.

-- Just 'cause a cat has kittens in the oven, it don't make 'em biscuits.

View Greg The Cajun Box Sculptor's profile

Greg The Cajun Box Sculptor

Congratulations on your new lathe purchase! I have been looking at the Jet lathe and look forward to seeing what you an dother sthink of it think of it.think of itthink of itthink of itthink of itthink of it

-- Every step of each project is considered my masterpiece because I want the finished product to reflect the quality of my work.

View Tomas's profile

Tomas

Ok, then.

View Julian's profile

Julian

What a review! Based on this I should go and buy one today!

-- Julian, Park Forest, IL

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

congrats! this would make a GREAT blog!!!!

not sure where the “review” part in this review is…. ;)

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View Scott Oldre's profile

Scott Oldre

363 posts in 2015 days

Congratulations Stan on the new purchase. Pretty exciting to have bigger iron for bigger bowls. I just hope your enthusiasm on being connected to LumberJocks isn’t curbed by the barage of flames you sometimes see here if someone mistakenly posts in the wrong area. I’ll look forward to the “second” part of your review when you’ve had a chance to turn on the new lathe. Myself I’m waiting for Woodcraft to have another sale on the Nova 1624-44.

-- Scott, Irmo SC

View DocK16's profile

DocK16

Lighten up guys he’s new to the site by 6 days. He’ll find his way around soon enough. Stan, after you recieve your Jet, come back a write a review on what you think, was it easy to assemble, how does it run, and generally tell us if you’re satisfied. I think you made a good purchase and this is one of the best midprice lathes on the market. Welcome to LJs sorry I should have posted this on your home page.

-- Common sense is so rare anymore when you do see it, it looks like pure genius.

View Durnik150's profile

Durnik150

647 posts in 1906 days

Looking forward to more as well. I haven’t stepped into the turning arena yet but have been watching closely the reviews. Jet seems to be a market leader.

Welcome, Stan!!

-- Behind the Bark is a lot of Heartwood----Charles, Centennial, CO

View Vince's profile

Vince

945 posts in 2013 days

You made a good choice, it’s a solid well built lathe.

-- Vince

View StanCurtis's profile

StanCurtis

I appologize for posting what apparently did not meet the requirements of a review. I was under the impression that the reasons for selecting a particular machine qualified as a review. Sort of an Einsteinian “Thought Experiment” to come to a conclusion. Look at the neccessary items, check the nice-to-have list, and cross-check diffent manufacturers.

Well, I have the machine now, and will shortly post a real review on assembly, quality, features, and perceived faults. That will be followed by some project reports. You see, I value LumberJocks too much not to learn my lessons.

Cheers, Stan

-- Stan Curtis

View Don K.'s profile

Don K.

1075 posts in 1911 days

Stan,
As said already…do not worry..it happens. LOTS of things to learn on a new forum…believe me, your not the first to post something in the wrong spot, nor will you be the last. Congrats on the new lathe and I look forward to reading your review and seeing what you make with it. Welcome to Lumberjocks !!!!

-- Don S.E. OK

Perhaps you could post a review on your old lathe and why you’ve decided to turn it into a sharpening station instead . I like to wait until I’ve owned and used a new tool for a while before posting a review about it , otherwise it’s kind of like just showing off a new toy. But anyway , welcome to LJs…You’ll like it here and certainly learn a whole lot more than just where to post a review ! LOL Have a great day : )

View ND2ELK's profile

ND2ELK

Hi Stan

Your new lathe looks great! When you have used it awhile you can go back and edit your old review if you want. I do not think you have to appologize for anything. Thanks for posting.

God Bless
tom

-- Mc Bridge Cabinets, Iowa

View RBWoodworker's profile

RBWoodworker

416 posts in 1936 days

Howdy Stan!!..welcome to LJ’s!!..please post your review as soon as you can..I really want to know how this lathe works out for you..I don’t have a lathe as of yet..but I really need to get one soon but want to hear how you like it first.. Again..welcome to LJ’s!!

-- Randall Child http://www.racfurniture.com/