Inexpensive But Worthy

Review by DonB posted 08-23-2016 11:24 AM 2717 views 1 time favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Inexpensive But Worthy No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased a Earlex 2901 spray station primarily by price over the advertisement. Being on a fixed income, I try to get the biggest bang for my buck. On LJ, Earlex suggested the 2901 as a good entry sprayer. It is light as it is mostly plastic except for the guide and spray needle, which appear to be brass. So far I’ve used it to spray water based finishes such as poly, and various kinds/colors of acrylics. I have not had to thin any material. I considered this when I used acrylic for the first time since it appeared to be quite thick. The projects were end tables, coffee tables (picture of top included), round occasional tables with the water based poly plus a dresser and shed with the paint. I also used it to paint the house, from ground to under the eves, including the porch with Olympic solid stain. This little sprayer just continues to impress me with the quality of performance, and functionality for the price. It has never faulted, nor have I had the slightest bit of problem with this machine in a couple of years. Yup, I’d recommend it.

-- DonB

View DonB's profile

DonB

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

#1 posted 08-23-2016 06:35 PM

I’ve never sprayed a finish before, sure looks nice for big surfaces. So this unit has an air pump built in, no compressor required?

-- Allen, Colorado (Instagram @bobasaurus_woodworking)

View REL's profile

REL

#2 posted 08-23-2016 08:34 PM

You got me interested. DonB, should I consider a bit more expensive model Earlex? The model you use is priced at about $129.00. Next model up is about $250.00.

I am concerned about cleaning after use. I would use it mainly for solvent based products.

Anybody got ideas?

-- REL, North Jersey

View DonB's profile

DonB

#3 posted 08-24-2016 11:12 AM

Allen: It has a compressor and hose (15’) that connects to the back of the gun. The sound is similar to a vacuum and it runs continuously until you shut it off. The paint is sprayed only when you pull the trigger. The paint bucket (bulb) screws into the bottom of the gun. (You can find many internet videos that show the operation)

REL: I cannot comment on higher priced models as I have not used them. Cleaning actually very easy. Since only air comes into the gun from external sources, only the gun has to be cleaned. Purchase an extra bulb to hold the cleaner. Simply unscrew the bulb containing left over paint and screw on the bulb containing the cleaner to clean the internal parts if you’re just stopping for the day. Otherwise follow directions to clean the gun properly for longer term storage. Its a snap really. Cost was primary in this purchase, but the product name sold me.

-- DonB

View WhoMe's profile

WhoMe

#4 posted 08-30-2016 09:24 PM

Higher-priced guns do perform better than lower price guns in general but you have to consider cost versus amount of use. generally going one step up on the gun will get you a bitter turbine and better quality parts within the gun. this is very apparent when you get to the fifty five hundred series or earlex as it has an all aluminum gun with stainless internal parts and the turbine performs better than the next level down .
over all spraying is always preferred on large services to brushing as you get a smoother finish and no brush marks and is easier to apply over large surface area without having to worry about it drying too quickly and blending in the next portion of the table to be brushed.
The key to an hvlp gun is to get the viscosity of the finish within the range of the gun. In my case I’ll spray my projects just so I don’t use a brush in have the brush marks on my project.
It is well worth the little time it takes to clean the gun versus having brush marks to me

-- I'm not clumsy.. It's just the floor hates me, the tables and chairs are bullies, the wall gets in the way AAANNNDDD table saws BITE my fingers!!!.. - Mike -