Makita MAC2400 Oiled Twin Hot Dog Compressor

Review by ND2ELK posted 07-14-2009 08:34 AM 10836 views 0 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Makita MAC2400 Oiled Twin Hot Dog Compressor Makita MAC2400 Oiled Twin Hot Dog Compressor Makita MAC2400 Oiled Twin Hot Dog Compressor Click the pictures to enlarge them

My lovely wife posted this tool review in one of my blogs by mistake. I wasn’t about to complain about it at that time. One thing I have learned over the years is, if MaMa does something nice for you, Never complain! Now that it has been awhile I thought I should post it in the tool review section.

After doing a lot of reserch and looking at different compressors, I settled on this Makita. It is by far the most unbelievably quit compressor I have ever heard. Because my shop is small, I am trying to cut noise as much as possible. It is a little heavy but that is a side effect of being well built. I do not plan to use it mush out of the shop, if at all. The recovery time is fast. This an awsome compressor and I highly recommend it to anyone.

-- Mc Bridge Cabinets, Iowa

View ND2ELK's profile

ND2ELK

View Don K.'s profile

Don K.

1075 posts in 2016 days

#1 posted 07-14-2009 08:51 AM

Great review. What does one of those go for ?

-- Don S.E. OK

View ND2ELK's profile

ND2ELK

#2 posted 07-14-2009 02:56 PM

Don: I paid $300 for the unit. Thanks for asking.

God Bless
tom

-- Mc Bridge Cabinets, Iowa

View Splinterman's profile

Splinterman

23058 posts in 2051 days

#3 posted 07-14-2009 03:49 PM

Hey Tom,
That is a sweet looking system….......well done.

#4 posted 07-14-2009 04:00 PM

Good review Tom
I prefer my compressors outside the shop

View Kent Shepherd's profile

Kent Shepherd

2698 posts in 1976 days

#5 posted 07-14-2009 07:53 PM

Thanks Tom. I’ve been wondering about that compressor. We’ve sold it several times—-Feedback is always good. It seems like a great compressor.

-- She thought I hung the moon--now she just thinks I did it wrong

View davidroberts's profile

davidroberts

#6 posted 07-15-2009 02:59 AM

I bought the exact model on Amazon about 15 months ago for my 2 car garage shop. Love it. Wouldn’t trade it. Great for a DIY and hobbist. Even handled a framing nailer without missing a beat. Perfect for my pinners and brad nailers. I was very concerned about noise because I had a small oiless compressor that would run you out of the garage even with the door up. This compressor is marketed as very quite and for my money it’s a dream.. Thanks for the review.

View Hunterastin's profile

Hunterastin

51 posts in 1980 days

#7 posted 07-16-2009 05:14 AM

i wish my compressor was quiet, i have a sixty gallon Cambal Hausfield and it is extremly loud but the advantage is it has a huge tank so it dont run that much

View ahock's profile

ahock

102 posts in 2014 days

#8 posted 07-16-2009 07:18 PM

I used one of those on a job for awhile, it was great; couldn’t keep up with a roofing nailer, but worked for a framer. It definitely is quiet, I sat it under the miter saw station and standing there could have a conversation without a problem. I love my porter cable, but I can’t really have a conversation while it’s running.

Thanks for the review!

-- Andy, PA ~Finding satisfaction in creation

View moshel's profile

moshel

#9 posted 07-17-2009 01:11 PM

Oh… I was so happy to read that there is a quite compressor… Alas, they don’t sell it here in NZ.
Thats sad.
My compressor can be heard through 3 doors. and it gives my an adrenaline rush every time it starts when I am working.

-- The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep...

View thiel's profile

thiel

359 posts in 1982 days

#10 posted 08-03-2009 06:06 AM

FYI… I am seeing these Factory Reconditioned with warranty on Ebay (username rafsupply) for $179! I don’t know a thing about the seller, but they have a good reputation on ebay and a professional website. Apparently they are a certifed Makita Reconditioned dealer too…

-- Laziness minus Apathy equals Efficiency

View thiel's profile

thiel

359 posts in 1982 days

#11 posted 08-30-2009 05:00 AM

Ended up picking up that refurb. It’s perfect! Can’t tell it’s not new.

I can confirm… this thing is QUIET. I now have it mounted right in the bottom of my workbench and it cycles on and off without giving me even a flinch.

-- Laziness minus Apathy equals Efficiency

View Brian's profile

Brian

#12 posted 09-25-2009 12:13 PM

I have that compressor. Bought it after reading nothing but great reviews everywhere.
It’s relative quietness is one of it’s best features.
It is pretty heavy for carrying but I notice some owners have it tied to a hand truck.

-- http://www.brianpenning.com/

View Dustin's profile

Dustin

#13 posted 04-15-2010 05:39 AM

I love these Makita compressors. I’ve got the 3hp which is a little bit louder but not by much and it’s still unbelievably quiet. I wish they made 240V stationary compressors too.