Ryobi 18v Impact Driver

Review by JMG posted 1837 days ago 8129 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ryobi 18v Impact Driver No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this impact to replace an old DeWalt driver. I got the driver, a compact drill, 2 compact lithium batteries, and a charger for only $179 instead of a new DeWalt impact with no battery for $279. Sounded like a good deal so I jumped on it even though the Ryobi’s torque didn’t come close to the DeWalt(880 in/lbs for the Ryobi and 1,330 in/lbs for the DeWalt). The Ryobi struggled to drive lags into the old petrified wood of the house I was adding the deck on. It also bogged down when I attempted to lag a 2×12 to a 6×6 post with 6in lags. It would drive a little past half way then quit. I ended up having to drill pilot holes for the lags. I did, however, like the lithium batteries. They keep charge a lot longer than the old batteries. I also used the impact to screw the deck boards down and had no problems there. Even with the compact batteries, I only had to recharge about 5 or 6 times on a 14’x26’ deck. I would reccomend this tool if price is a factor or every day abuse is not taking place. If you need a contractor grade impact, I strongly suggest going with the DeWalt, Makita, or the 24v impact with the most torque (1490 in/lbs), the Rigid.

View oldskoolmodder's profile

oldskoolmodder

You should always drill a pilot hole for lags. I’d almost suggest it’s not a fair comparison, because probably NO 18v impact driver will drive a lag without a pilot hole. Ryobi makes better tools than people give them credit for. Especially when you do the job right.

-- Respect your shop tools and they will respect you - Ric

111999 posts in 2175 days

I agree that you should pre drill for lag bolts but All Ryobi tools are for home owners not contractors. I’ve had some ryobi tools last a long time

JMG

I disagree, a DeWalt impact will easily drive a 3/8”x6” lag with no pilot hole, not saying you should not drill a pilot hole though

View oldskoolmodder's profile

oldskoolmodder

Then I have to ask why not buy a DeWalt in the first place. Ryobi and DeWalt are two different categories of product.

-- Respect your shop tools and they will respect you - Ric

JMG

I wanted the DeWalt, but price just happened to be a factor this time. Just didn’t have the funds to spring for a good tool, had to take what I could get.

View tooldad's profile

tooldad

Have them both, and I use the DW all the time. Now I actually have 2, got a lithium DW set from my dad for working on his kitchen. School is where I use the Ryobis. Can see the difference. we buy ryobi at school because of the price. Batteries are cheap, and that is what seems to go. It all depends on amount of use and amount of $ you want to spend.

View RandyMarine's profile

RandyMarine

235 posts in 1967 days

I have had this driver for about 6 months…it compliments my entire one+ ryobi line….I will say that you are comparing apples and oranges. I have used this driver on my workbenches, to reattach my awning in the brick after a wind storm, and to help build my neighbors deck. I have never had a problem with bogging down on any of the tasks I have put it up to. I do drill pilot holes though for everything I do after I split some very expensive wood not to long ago. I own 14 one plus tools and think a few are rather light duty however, I have to keep in mind the task I am using them for…

-- Semper Fi, Randy Sr.

View poster's profile

poster

this Mini review it TOTALLY SKEWED
where are you getting 880 in/lbs from

the Ryobi P230 has 1200 in/lbs

and the current model P236 has 1600 in/lbs

IMO Ryobi gives the big names a run for the money

i am more then pleased with everything Ryobi

View Don W's profile

Don W

I’ve had the driver for about 6 years. I’d give it an ok rating. I bought 2 new battery 12/09. I’ve noticed the ‘new’ battery are starting to go so my wife got me a set of rigid for Xmas. We’ll see if they are better.

-- Master hand plane hoarder. - http://timetestedtools.com

View poster's profile

poster

BTW Rigid & Ryobi have the same parent company

View Dwain's profile

Dwain

I am a homeowner and woodworking hobbiest. I have four ryobi drill/drivers, a right angle ryobi drill and an impact driver. For my use they work very well. I also love having one type of battery, and always having them in the charger ready to go. For the time being, I am sworn to Ryobi…

-- When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there is no end to what you CAN'T do

View EoinB's profile

EoinB

I have that driver for at least 5 years. Ive never had any trouble with it, had to replace batteries but they are fairly reasonable. It has done a lot of work, I work as a kitchen fitter. Would never go back to Dewalt.

-- Handy as a hammer