Hock Plane Iron

Review by blackcherry posted 07-13-2009 06:12 AM 4995 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Hock Plane Iron Hock Plane Iron Hock Plane Iron Click the pictures to enlarge them

My latest project was constructing a wooden hand plane / smoother type. The blade that I ordered came from Hock a company out of Ft. Bragg California. This company has been in business since 1982 and makes a vary of blade for all your hand plane needs along with carving knives and such. This is the first time I’ve purchase any of there wares. I order two blade at a cost of 52.00 a piece which seem to be expensive but the rep. on these blade are that they last and hold a very sharp edge. Ordering was fast direct from the owner himself Ron Hock which was a surprise to me when he answer the call. He was quit pleasant to chat with and lent some keen advise on the construction process of the plane. The blade came in and one when directly into one of the plane factory edge in all. I knew that it would have to be given a more refine edge but I wanted to try it out any way. Theses blade are very hefty along with the cap iron which really give a nice feel when using. Chatter is not a issue with these assemblies. With a refine sharping the plane operates like hot butter and the shaving are a joy to watch come poring out of the plane. I would with no hesitation recommend and purchase Hock Planes in the future. Thanks for viewing …Blkcherry

#1 posted 07-13-2009 06:14 AM

Thanks for the review

View degoose's profile

degoose

#2 posted 07-13-2009 10:26 AM

Cool review ,, nice to see that there are companies out there where the boss answers the phone..happens a lot here in OZ but like I said nice to see.

-- Drink twice... and don't bother to cut... @ lazylarrywoodworks.com.au For lovers of all things timber...

View Chris Wright's profile

Chris Wright

#3 posted 07-13-2009 04:55 PM

I’ve been thinking of getting some of these irons for my planes. I know they are some of the best, just can’t quite afford them yet. Thanks for the review.

-- "At its best, life is completely unpredictable." - Christopher Walken

#4 posted 07-13-2009 07:27 PM

Chris this is why I built two plane to reduce the cost. Thanks for viewing…Blkcherry

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

#5 posted 07-14-2009 01:59 AM

Hock plane irons are great, I will be trying some in the near future.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View foe's profile

foe

1 post in 2000 days

#6 posted 07-14-2009 11:10 AM

I bought a couple of these years ago for some hand-made planes. Eventually, I started using one of the irons by itself, as an oversize chisel of sorts. It’s now one of my handiest tools… the perfect size and heft for all sorts of trimming, from the protruding edges of dovetails to flattening plugs, etc. Really an inexpensive, handy tool when used that way.

View Josh Mayfield's profile

Josh Mayfield

#7 posted 07-17-2009 03:41 AM

Heard nothing but great reviews of these irons, I will be ordering some for myself soon enough.

View tenontim's profile

tenontim

#8 posted 07-17-2009 04:05 AM

I’ve got almost all of the planes that I use the most changed over. They are great. I’ve also added the Lie-Nielsen chip breakers with them. I think Hock makes a chipbreaker too.

View BTKS's profile

BTKS

1971 posts in 2217 days

#9 posted 07-17-2009 06:15 AM

Thanks for the review. Think I’ll try Hock when I finally get to make a homemade plane. I’ve got the body of an antique wedge plane, wonder if one would work in it. Might give it a try. Later, BTKS

-- "Man's ingenuity has outrun his intelligence" (Joseph Wood Krutch)

View rwyoung's profile

rwyoung

#10 posted 07-20-2009 06:02 AM

Hock makes chip breakers to fit Stanley irons in addition to the smaller “Krenov” style iron and breaker sets.

I’ve only ordered O1 steel irons. The hold an edge fine, at least for me and just a few minues on the stone and you are back in business.

-- Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

View Rob Drown's profile

Rob Drown

#11 posted 09-29-2009 03:03 AM

They take some effort to sharpen but boy are the tough and hold an edge. Wonderful service great product but not cheap.

-- The expectations of life depend upon diligence; the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools. Confucius, 经过艰苦的努力的梦想可以成真

View Marc5's profile

Marc5

304 posts in 2094 days

#12 posted 10-25-2009 01:48 AM

I set up a Stanley #5 & #8 with Hock blades and chip breakers and would definitely recommend as an upgrade in a plane tune up. Well worth the money.

-- Marc

View Steve Rathke's profile

Steve Rathke

#13 posted 08-14-2011 05:00 AM

I got Hock blade and chip breaker for a 1902 pattented Number 8. they dont fit the original mouth, I am considering easing the mouth open with a mill file. Any suggtions?

#14 posted 08-14-2011 06:02 PM

The biggest part of opening the mouth is to stay square, this is so important. Take your time and double check with a reliable square. On the Lie Nielson site Dave Chadworth go into detail about such a procedure. I know that the Hock blade a extra thick if you have not order one yet you could call Ron Hock and he would mill it to fit the opening as well, he is a hand on owner and love to chat with his customers. Good luck Steve…BC