Not the worst, but...

Review by Rob McCune posted 01-28-2008 10:51 AM 1284 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Not the worst, but... No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Okay, I realized when I spent $99 on a table saw that I would be getting what I payed for, but I was just starting out and really needed something. I picked up a decent blade for it and hoped for the best.

Power: none. It can barely cut a 2” x 4” through the “2” side, don’t even bet on the “4” side.

Reliability: Well it hasn’t broken on me yet, but I lost the arbor wrench and without it I can’t change the blade. If you get one, don’t lose the wrench. On a bright note, I have pretty well abused this thing and the quality of cut hasn’t gone down. Can’t say it was great to begin with but I am sure it could be worse.

Weight: About 20 pounds. No Seriously, the thing weighs 20 pounds. Running anything thicker than 1/2” causes the whole table to want to tip over. I have to stand on one of the rungs of the base to keep it from doing so.

Table top: Machined ALuminum about 24” wide and 16” long. You can cut up to 11” wide with the fence, anything longer would send the fence off the end of the table.

Conclusion: I regretted not having enough for a better saw from the very beginning. I should have waited 6 months or so and picked one up off of craigslist. I nearly did anyway when I saw a Grizzly for $250, but went with a jointer instead. This saw is good for the minor hobbyist, but any Norm-respecting man should wait and get a better one. Use the $100 to take your wife out or something. It might butter her up to spend more later.

-- Rob McCune

View Rob McCune's profile

Rob McCune

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#1 posted 01-28-2008 02:06 PM

Why does the header say Delta, and the saw say Porter-Cable?

View gizmodyne's profile

gizmodyne

#2 posted 01-28-2008 04:19 PM

Great review. Good advice on a way to spend 100.

-- -John "Do I have to keep typing a smiley? Just assume it's a joke." www.flickr.com/photos/gizmodyne

View Rob McCune's profile

Rob McCune

#3 posted 01-28-2008 05:35 PM

Rikkor, this was just the picture I took from the Delta website. Porter-Cable is aowned by Delta, so maybe this is a shift towards converting to a single brand name. I looked a few minutes ago and mine says Delta on it.

Thanks John.

-- Rob McCune

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#4 posted 01-28-2008 05:38 PM

Sorry John, on re-reading I sound like I’m taking a shot. I wasn’t. It was 4:00 AM.

View dennis mitchell's profile

dennis mitchell

#5 posted 01-28-2008 10:05 PM

At the end of the day I pack up all my tools except my Delta Table saw. Maybe I’m hoping someone will “borrow” it. I’ve owned 3 of these little saws. After a bit the switch will go out. I just replaced it with a household light switch. One of those job site jury rigs just to get the job done, but never gets done right. I really enjoy the light weight aspect of it. Moving a table saw onto and off of a job site everyday can be a pain. I only use it for a few cuts, but I do need one. Maybe next time I’ll try the small dewalt. Good review.

View grovemadman's profile

grovemadman

#6 posted 03-04-2008 12:08 PM

Thanks for the review, I’m gonna get the folding Ridgid. It is nearly the same as a regular sized contractor saw, lifetime warranty, folds up and out of the way, it has wheels so your rollin’, everything stores on the unit and when set up it is pretty sturdy. I checked them out and it seems like the way to go with portable saws and not sacrificing quality.
I had the one Dennis had and burned through two motors, I bought a used Ryobi for $65 and it has lasted longer through way more use/abuse like ripping 4×4 posts and plywood!

-- --Chuck