Part one of the long awaited review!

Review by degoose posted 07-12-2009 05:02 AM 6612 views 2 times favorited 23 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Part one of the long awaited review! Part one of the long awaited review! Part one of the long awaited review! Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hello to one and all..
So sorry for the delay in making this review but been busy making LLs and Boards. LOL
Any way a few weeks ago we did some preliminary filming of the wee beastie and I just got the edited version..
Not a great video but by the same token not a bad one either.,. my thanks go to Keith, Aaron and Luke .. the guys that make this magnificent machine., and to Stuart for filming me and the beast showing off some of its amazing features. This was shot in my workshop, so please excuse the mess. LOL again.
I had to re-edit and trim into two parts so I could up load to Photobucket and I would like to thank them also for making this available,
The machine I purchased is 2 meters long and 900 mm deep and has the options of dust extraction guard and copy extension, at a cost of AU$4000.00 approx.
Other machine configurations are available upon request and the machine is available without the side travel.
This review is of the machine in router mode… it can be set up with a portable circular saw, a drill, an angle grinder as well as the router.
The videos will show the range of movement X, Y and Z axis and some of the built in stops, and a few actual processes.. ie over head pin routing and template copy routing. I aplogise for the safety boots.,. and also I left the dust guard shroud off to see the cutter.
Part 1
. Part 2 . . As you can see the machine is well made and finished .. is simple to set up and simple to operated. It can accept any router but I would suggest a good brand with a heavy duty motor 2 1/2 to 3 HP. The only drawback is working out all the things that can be achieved with this machine.. it would take a long time to figure out all of them.. each owner is now finding different ways to use it. In fact one fellow wanted a longer post so he could rotated the head for over head boring into beams in his ceiling joists. This week I hope to have the whole gang over for a more indepth look at some projects with the Torque Work Centre MF 4000.

Thanks for watching and I hope you enjoyed this as much as I did. I would welcome any critique of the review and comments on the content and any obvious errors.

Larry from the land downunder.

-- Drink twice... and don't bother to cut... @ lazylarrywoodworks.com.au For lovers of all things timber...

View Dan'um Style's profile

Dan'um Style

#1 posted 07-12-2009 05:14 AM

very cool tool … how expensive is this unit ?

-- keeping myself entertained ... Humor and fun lubricate the brain

View patron's profile

patron

13185 posts in 2095 days

#2 posted 07-12-2009 05:15 AM

nice tool larry ,
looks like you will have lots of fun with it ,
and make lots of new stuff .
i’m happy for you .

#3 posted 07-12-2009 05:19 AM

Sorry did not enter a price.. the unit I have is 2metres long with a reach of 900 mm and was AU$3750 for the base unit..
This did not include the router, dust extraction shroud..although it comes with a guard…or the copy attachment.
All up minus the router.. around AU$4000.00 or at current exchange rates…..US$3,126.00

View CharlieM1958's profile

CharlieM1958

#4 posted 07-12-2009 05:19 AM

That looks amazing, Larry.

Now clean up that shop and get your steel-toed boots on! LOL!

-- Charlie M. "Woodworking - patience = firewood"

#5 posted 07-12-2009 05:21 AM

Yes Mum right away Mum.. ROFL Charlie.

View patron's profile

patron

13185 posts in 2095 days

#6 posted 07-12-2009 05:31 AM

i had a friend years ago ,
that had an old RAS that he put a servo motor and pulleys
on the rising knob shaft ,
and a up/down switch out front ,
the thing worked like a champ !
with the right size pulleys ,
it was easy to spot on adjust it
for height .

View Sawdust2's profile

Sawdust2

#7 posted 07-12-2009 05:36 AM

Leave it to the Aussies.

Up here we have CNC, down there they don’t need computers, they do it manually MNC

There is obviously voice capability but no commentary. It is true that a picture is worth a thousand words. And the demo clearly shows what the machine can do.

The machine is certainly well built and adaptable.

Do you plan to use it for production work where you need to repeat the same process accurately time after time?

I truly am not being critical. These are just observations. I’d really like to know why there is a need for this machine. There clearly is a need because these folks invested a lot of time in the design and production. And you are just as proud as a peacock that you have it.

Let’s see what more it can do.

Lee

-- No piece is cut too short. It was meant for a smaller project.

#8 posted 07-12-2009 05:37 AM

Hey Larry
I can see how you would jump on this with both feet when you saw it at the wood fair. cool tool.

#9 posted 07-12-2009 06:20 AM

The real reason I bought this machine is because I wanted it.. Pure and simple. No rhyme or reason. And because I can.
SWBMT said if I want It and can afford it .. GET IT.

View bowyer's profile

bowyer

#10 posted 07-12-2009 11:43 AM

I can see why you wanted it. That is a great tool. Thanks for the videos, they show off the possibilities better then words

Rick, envious in Tacoma

-- If at first you don't succeed...Don't try skydiving

View Cato's profile

Cato

641 posts in 2066 days

#11 posted 07-12-2009 03:01 PM

Larry, that is awesome. I also like your answer, cause I wanted it and I can. For my non-woodworking friends that ask me why I bought a certain tool, I always answer that I am just exercising my right as a consumer!!

View DaleM's profile

DaleM

#12 posted 07-12-2009 04:15 PM

I could see so many uses for this thing, replacing a lot of sleds and jigs, plus it looks like a lot of fun.

-- Dale Manning, Carthage, NY

View cabinetmaster's profile

cabinetmaster

#13 posted 07-12-2009 04:38 PM

That is a totally amazing piece of machinery. You could do some amazing things with a router and table like that. Let’s see some of your work when you get started using it.

-- Jerry--A man can never have enough tools or clamps

View woodsmithshop's profile (online now)

woodsmithshop

#14 posted 07-12-2009 05:10 PM

really great tool, I wish I had one, don’t know what I’d do with it, but it would be nice to have anyway, I think I could find many uses for it once I had it in the shop. it is much more manuverable than an overhead pin router, and it does not look complicated, very solid, very straight forward, no bells and whistles or gimmicks to get in the way, or break down.

-- Smitty!!!

View woodsmithshop's profile (online now)

woodsmithshop

#15 posted 07-12-2009 05:19 PM

Larry, you said you were having the whole gang over, are you going to furnish the beer for all of us LJs?
lol