Harbor Freight Tools Work Bench affordable and useful

Review by PKP posted 1838 days ago 25151 views 2 times favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Harbor Freight Tools Work Bench affordable and useful No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this Bench on sale for 159 dollars. plus tax for a total of 175.( I know TN sales tax is high). The Bench was easily put together in about 2 hours. I have to say for the money I dont think you could buy the wood to make your own workbench.

I needed a workbench instead of using a door setting on top of 2 old speakers as a work table.

The table top is flat and is finger jointed oak, The drawer sides and bottoms are not solid oak but MDF. All the rest of the bench is oak. The instruction manual was easy to follow but the drawers were a little tricky to get into place. The table top is not as thick as it looks in the picture. But that didn’t really matter to me. The vise holds work firmly in place with the bench dogs provided.

Overall all I think this would make a great bench for the beginning woodworker. The bench is sturdy and weights about 115lbs. I gave it 4 stars becasue of the draw sides and bottoms not being solid oak and it ’s lack of a front vise. This may have been the way it was designed to account for wood movement? NOt sure

I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for an affordable workbench.

I’m still not sure what the oak bench dogs are for that are shown in the picture?
If anyone has a guess please make a post.

View PKP's profile

PKP

94 posts in 2042 days

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

nice!

those bench dogs you are asking about are planing stops I believe. for planing with the grain without the need to clamp/hold the wood between dogs, or clamps.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

111999 posts in 2173 days

Looks like it will work fine. Just thinking isn’t crazy that to build a bench you need a bench.

View Randy Sharp's profile

Randy Sharp

For sale: One used door and two speakers. Been there…oops! Still there.

Thanks for the review. I’ve eyed that product myself. This is helpful information.

-- Randy, Tupelo, MS ~ A man who honors his wife will have children who honor their father.

View davidroberts's profile

davidroberts

1002 posts in 2082 days

You’re gonna love those drawers. I’m getting reading to build a cabinet of drawers under my bench. But at 105F today, I’m kinda lazy. Your right, $159 is a good price. You can always add a little support if necessary. MDF is stable so your drawers probably won’t stick. Those broom handle cut offs stuck in the table is to show the bench actually has precut dog holes. Otherwise they wouldn’t show up well in the photo. Just a guess. Even drilling the bench dog holes yourself is no a brainless task, so that is a really good deal. Hey, wait a minute, that bench is made for woodworking, not just another garage work bench!

View michaelray's profile

michaelray

194 posts in 2050 days

Thanks for the review. I’ve looked at this myself wondering if it would be worth it if only to save the time of building a new bench.

-- http://dbcww.wordpress.com

View Workbench_Warrior's profile

Workbench_Warrior

Those bench dogs appear to be the ones that go in holes on the legs to hold long items. On my bench they are on the vise side so that you can put one end sideways in the vise and the other end rest on the dogs.
I have some benches very similar but with two vises each but no drawers that I got at JOB Lot on sale for $60.00. A great deal either way I whish mine had some drawers but such is life! I’ll have to check out my local HF to see if they have any.

-- SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI - "Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever"

View GEORGE6149's profile

GEORGE6149

I also own the same work bench.It’s a great deal and very sturdy. I thought that the long wooden dogs were for holding taller projects on end. The drawers are roomy.

-- GEORGE

View Greg Wurst's profile

Greg Wurst

I’ve seen that bench at HF and it looked like a decent deal for the money. If I didn’t already have a bench or had room for another one I’d pick one up.

-- You're a unique and special person, just like everyone else.

View alt_bob's profile

alt_bob

Looking into building a workbench and found this review. Can I assume the bench-dog holes are 3/4 inch diameter? If so this appears a great deal just for the top to put on my current stand and then add on the tail-vise I am sort of dreaming to build with new one in concept stage. I can use the stand lumber for it or part of it.

-- Bob - Springfield VA

View Steve's profile

Steve

I would have liked a bit bigger bench but after this review and others I decided to pick one up. It won’t be here for a week or so as it’s being drop shipped. I may end up buying another and bolting them together as 20” sounds a bit small to me. I just didn’t want to build a bench right now though.

View Jeison's profile

Jeison

I just saw a coupon for this in the latest Wood magazine, think I’ll go take a look at it, was planning on building two workbenches about that size but at that price (the cost of the plywood alone for what I had in mind was $150) I may get it. I’d try enclosing the shelf and making that area into cabinet storage. I don’t mind the MDF drawers. If nothing else as Bob said I can just mount the top to a bench of my own design, plus get a vise and some oak lumber out of the stand for other projects out of the deal.

Meh, no sense planning too far ahead, I’ll stop in this weekend and take a look, the coupons good until May anyways LOL.

-- - Jei, Rockford IL - When in doubt, spray it with WD-40 and wrap it with duct tape. The details will attend to themselves.

View Jeison's profile

Jeison

I went in to take a look at this today and decided against it, its not a bad bench for the money but was much smaller than I imagined (only 20” deep) the drawers were around 12” deep on 3/4 slides. Like he mentioned in the original review the top was not as thick as pictured (the edging on the sides is about 1 1/2” thick, but the top itself seemed maybe 3/4”. Seemed fairly sturdy, and if you need an auxiliary bench or worktable its pretty good for the price ($140 with the latest coupon) but for what I have in mind wouldn’t work out unfortuanetly.

View badger's profile

badger

62 posts in 1941 days

Thanks for the details on this, I was curious about the thickness of the top of the bench.

I need something thicker, but at that price it was a little tempting.

badger

-- "I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe." -- Jango Fett

View WmD's profile

WmD

I’m having problems getting the drawers into the bench. They have gone in 1/2 way and are stuck. I’m new to this sort of thing, obviously. What’s the fix for these drawers?
Thanks in advance!

View Abbott's profile

Abbott

I have good luck with Silicone spray from the hardware or auto parts store. The stuff I use is made by Prestone but I imagine other outfits make it as well.

Welcome to Lumberjocks!