Craftsman NEXTEC Multi-Tool

Review by Workbench_Warrior posted 1875 days ago 14427 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Craftsman NEXTEC Multi-Tool No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Craftsman NEXTEC Multi-Tool

Their Product Description

The compact 12 Volt battery provides the power of a full-sized battery in a smaller, lighter weight, longer lasting Lithium-Ion battery. One tool performs multiple tasks by using high-speed oscillations (15000 OPM), a 2.8 oscillation angle and six various attachments. The body of the tool features a soft grip handle, LED work light and an integrated dust bypass for comfort during use and enhanced visibility throughout any application. This versatile tool is ideal for cutting, sanding, scraping, grinding, and removing grout and more. Use on drywall, wood, metal, plastic, tile, masonry, and porous concrete. Its compact, ergonomic design and multiple blade positions allow for use in tight spaces. Perfect for carpentry, electrical, plumbing, flooring, drywall, remodeling, repair and hobbies.

I had pondered the Fein but could not justify $400.00 plus. I also looked at the Bosh and Rockwell still in the $200.00 range. And last but not least I saw the $39.00 Harbor Freight one but was skeptical of its quality. I just received my Craftsman club flyer in the mail and saw The NEXTEC line of 12V Lithium tools including the Multi-tool for $99.00 with accessories and case. Hmmm not bad I thought. I like some craftsman tools and some not! But usually the quality is pretty good and if not, “Satisfaction money back guarantee” So I bought one, well truthfully I requested and received it for Father’s Day from the misses! Anyway I have used it a bit and I think have probably pushed it beyond its designed limits. Example I had to trim the old bull nose off the stairs to put the new hardwood down. Before I had this nifty tool for the upper 5 stairs I used my Porter Cable 6” Boss and a hammer and chisel to finish it off, a lot of work. The 5 stairs are 1-inch thick oak. Let me tell you that little buzz saw cut through it like butter once you learn to apply light pressure, as it is a vibrator not a saw lol. I did have to tighten the blade a few times. But overall and on one battery charge it works great. On this job it did vibrate the hands a bit especially as it cut through the nails, but again I was asking a lot of an overgrown vibrator. The LED light was also handy in the corners. I did buy an extra battery for it and the changing the blades is a bit of a pain, as you have to unscrew the screw completely to change out but only takes a minute so not to bad. I have not tried all the other functions and cutters yet but I’m sure that if it held up to this job it will work Fein on the others (Pun intended) I think it is the only battery model available in the multi-tool to my knowledge which makes it more versatile than the others and cheaper as well. IMHO I think it is a great addition to my shop and will come in handy.

Joe

-- SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI - "Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever"

View Workbench_Warrior's profile

Workbench_Warrior

View Splinterman's profile

Splinterman

23058 posts in 1994 days

Over grown vibrator…......Mmmmmmm….....very interesting…...but does the warranty still apply.

View Kent Shepherd's profile

Kent Shepherd

2697 posts in 1919 days

Good review
By the way—-The Bosch is battery powered also

-- She thought I hung the moon--now she just thinks I did it wrong

112015 posts in 2210 days

Good review I’ve had a fein multi tool for a few years and it’s great but if it were cordless would be even better.

View Jim's profile

Jim

Thanks for the review. Been wondering about this one.

-- Jim, www.greenteawoodworking.com

View dmoney's profile

dmoney

I got one of these too. has worked great although it gets pretty hot in your hands if you are using it for an extended period of time.

-- Derek, Iowa