My Critter Spray gun

Review by duasbata posted 07-08-2009 07:07 AM 8708 views 2 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
My Critter Spray gun My Critter Spray gun My Critter Spray gun Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hi Guys. I don’t know if I’m doing this right or not. There was a previous review of this gun and I just wanted to give my review as well.
Came across Woodgal’s entry about the Critter so I read more reviews from Amazon. Got my Critter Sprayer from Amazon for $33.81 free tax/shipping.
Got 12 regular mouth Ball mason jars from our local Stater Bros. supermarket for around $10.
Filled 1 with blue tinted water (used food coloring) just for practice, 1 with clear water for cleaning, and 1 with white Home Depot brand latex paint thinned with Floetrol and water for testing.

I replaced the hose plug on the gun with a hex nipple so I can connect my sprayer requlator or disposable dessicant/air filter if need be.
It’s a brass 1/8×1/4 npt hex nipple from McMaster-Carr for $4.71.

I was curious to see how this gun would perform compared to my Devilbiss Finishline 3 gun.
The Devilbiss HVLP gun just sucks the air out of my Sears 25g 2HP compressor. It needs 23 psi at inlet dialed in with a sprayer regulator and a 2.2mm fluid tip.
When I sprayed latex for my built-in the compressor was almost always on for a solid hour that it took me to finish. The hose was getting hot.
Needless to say I got the wrong gun to use with my compressor.
However it is a very good sprayer but does take a while to clean.

On the other hand my Critter was just fun to use.
It took a long time before my compressor kicked in again so I got to enjoy spraying. I had so much fun I just sat on the concrete floor and just kept on spraying. Kinda therapeutic. I even offered to spray my neighbors Suburban(just kidding). I tested it on plywood and MDF and was satisfied with the results. Hardly any overspray.
Hanged the Critter using my devilbiss spray gun holder on my sawhorse.

For cleaning I wiped the fluid tube with a small piece of paper towel and screwed in the jar filled with water and sprayed for a few second until the water was clear.
I removed the fluid nozzle because there was a litlle bit of paint stuck on the threads and in the orifice. Cleaned the orifice and theads with toothpick and a spray gun brush dipped in lacquer thinner. All in all probably 5 mins.

I gave it 5 stars for the cost, ease of cleaning and fun factor.
Lumberjocks is an awesome site and am glad to share my experience.

112096 posts in 2233 days

#1 posted 07-08-2009 07:10 AM

Good Reveiw
I have one its a great little gun for some things

View Hunterastin's profile

Hunterastin

51 posts in 1946 days

#2 posted 07-08-2009 04:45 PM

i am in the process of building my first guitar, would this work good for shooting the finish on it?

#3 posted 07-08-2009 06:33 PM

It is my understanding that lacquer is used for finishing guitars. And multiple coats of it. Unfortunately I haven’t sprayed lacquer yet on this gun. I’ve only used latex with this so far(and water). The best picture of a finished product sprayed with this gun that I’ve seen is Woodgals project. I don’t think she used lacquer though. Good luck.

#4 posted 07-09-2009 04:02 PM

Hunterastin..
Came across this site on the web where he talks about his experience with the Critter and lacquer.
It’s on the last section called 6 Month Follow Up. Hope this helps.

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

#5 posted 07-10-2009 05:26 AM

Great review. I have one of these and I have had great results with water based poly, and latex paint with Flowatrol. It is fun to use and easy to clean. The only drawback is it’s small spray pattern…I used it to spray a cabinet and it took a while for each coat.

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

#6 posted 07-10-2009 06:21 AM

Thanks Brad_Nailor. Hunterastin got me curious now that I might go out and get some lacquer and try it myself. I got a pint of General Finishes PolyAcrylic Satin waterbased finish that I got a few days back but haven’t tried it either. I’d also like to try some dewaxed shellac. My dining table might be a good candidate since it’s so banged up from me using it as a worktable sometimes. I’d tape it up in 3 equal sections and see how each one turns out. Then I can play the ”...can you guess the finish on this?” game at dinner parties!

View firecaster's profile

firecaster

557 posts in 2074 days

#7 posted 07-11-2009 02:17 AM

Hunter,
I have one of these. I usually use it for latex on outdoor projects. Do you not think the spraygun I gave you would work?

-- Father of two sons. Both Eagle Scouts.

#8 posted 07-11-2009 07:32 PM

I myself , being a newbie to this , why would you need lacquer thinner to clean latex (water based) paint from your gun ??

#9 posted 07-11-2009 10:10 PM

There was a spot inside the nozzle thread that was just difficult to remove with the brush and water. The paint just wouldn’t come loose. Might be my worn brush. Lacquer thinner at the time was about the strongest cleaner I got. That’s all.

#10 posted 07-12-2009 03:51 PM

Thank you .

View bamboo's profile

bamboo

#11 posted 09-11-2009 08:04 PM

Hi,
After reading all those positive reviews on Critter, I bought one from Amazon. I tried to test it with water and nothing comes out. I have to till the bottle to let the water out in order to spray it. Did I do something wrong?

#12 posted 09-13-2009 02:50 AM

Did you check the fluid tube to see if something is obstructing it?
What about the nozzle, can you see through it?
Try moving the nozzle a little higher up to get in line with the air stream.
How’s your compressor pressure setting?
If all else fails, call Amazon and ask for a replacement.
There’s definitely something wrong with your gun.
I had no problems with mine.
I recently sprayed the outdoor bench I made for my kids PINK which is what they
wanted.
I noticed that the nozzle tip gets a build up of paint and frequently
have to wipe it off. Nothing major. You will hear a difference in sound. The bench is about 4 ft long and 3 ft high.
Since the spray pattern is small it took a while but it was fun nontheless.
Afterwards the kids used a paint brush and went crazy painting butterflies,
forrest scenes, clouds, etc. Looks real nice. It’s the brightest item in the backyard.
Good luck with yours. I’m sure once you get it fixed you’ll like it.
It’s good for small projects and I’ll still use my Devilbiss for the big ones.