Not for the Feinthearted

Review by Roger Clark aka Rex posted 07-08-2009 03:05 AM 13489 views 0 times favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Not for the Feinthearted Not for the Feinthearted Not for the Feinthearted Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have looked at the Fein Multi Multimaster and the Rockwell offering, then sighed as I looked at my Social Security check.
There is no way I could afford or justify this ocaissionaly used tool nomatter how great it was. Looks like it is waaaaaaaaaay overpriced considering for the same money you could get a good saw,router setup and many other heavy usage necessary tools.

Yesterday I had to take the wife on her weekly pilgrimage to Walmart, so after dropping her off there I scooted around to HF as I had been given 2 of their $10 gift cards and was anxious to spend them before the $ went down any more!
I do shop at HF ocassionaly but my purchase are limited to things like Terry cloths, G clamps, air connectors, crepe blocks for cleaning sanders, magnetic parts trays, parts bins, Titebond III and a sledge hammer for when those joints need a little coaxing!
I don’t puchase electric or cordless tools or accessories from HF as the quality is not there but if you look closely you will find some items made in Taiwan which look better.

I went into HF and right out front was a big display for their “Multitool” It was listed for $59.99 with a $20.00 off special it was $39.99. Also there was a free gift of a 6 piece set of screwdrivers (Snap-on knockoff) if you brought the ad in – the ad is available in the flyer where you enter – no brainer!
I looked at the package, it had all but one of the attachments (no diamond wheel) and I checked out the cost of consumables $6 each a set of 3 blades, sanding triangles in 2 each x3 grits and $6 for the half moon saw – the diamond blade was under $7.
There are always a bunch of old farts like me vacationing in HF and one came up to me as I was examining the tool. Of course he had one and offered me his 2 cents worth which was positive. Another old fart covered in sawdust joined us and agreed that the tool had merit and worked well.
Needless to say I picked up the tool plus the screwdrivers and headed for the checkout with my 2 x $10 gift cards. The whole sheebang cost me $19.99

Of course when I got home I just had to try the tool out. I was quite plesantly surprised to find that it ain’t bad at all. It runs smooth, the attachments are easy to change and they do work. I am quite confident that it will fill my needs when the appropriate jobs comes up for it and I would recommend this tool to anyone who has the ocassional use for such a tool but cannot afford/justify/get a mortgage to purchase a similar $400.00 tool.
PS. I told my wife how much the up market version of this tool was and she nearly feinted!!

-- Roger-R, Republic of Texas. "Always look on the Bright Side of Life" - An eyeball to eyeball confrontation with a blind person is as complete waste of Time.

#1 posted 07-08-2009 03:16 AM

Hey Roger
Good review interesting worth trying.

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

#2 posted 07-08-2009 05:01 AM

Good find Roger…..and I know about those SS Checks.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View PineInTheAsh's profile

PineInTheAsh

401 posts in 1926 days

#3 posted 07-08-2009 10:54 AM

Roger,
A most genuine thanks for an informative, entertaining, well written submission. There’s nothing quite like the savvy experience of a real world LumberJock no matter how many or few tools they may have.

I’m new here to this site and boards and can’t believe my number of posts already double my number of days. That has to be the wonderful inspiration from the people here.

Your review forced me to go back and search for your previous posts. One can only conclude we need and could all benefit from additional postings.

I was at a retailer’s tool sale/show many moons ago when I first saw the Fein. The heft and feel in the hand was impressive. So was the price.

The Rockwell brand has eluded us on the east coast; at least here in New Jersey where we have seen niether hide nor hare of the brand. Someone fill us in. Although we read positive reviews.

We once tried vacationing at HF but somehow they just couldn’t come to terms with my beach umbrella and bags of play sand.

The only somewhat negative thing (although it could be more than just somewhat negative) we’ve read about HF’s tool is excessive vibration. But, you say smooth.

Now where are those HF discount coupons I had?

View waxman's profile

waxman

50 posts in 1980 days

#4 posted 07-08-2009 08:18 PM

Thanks for the review. I have had my eye on the Fein but for occasional use this could be the ticket. Thanks!

View Moron's profile

Moron

#5 posted 07-09-2009 04:42 AM

“Fein”

I bought one several years ago and it paid for itself in about 10 minutes of the first minutes of its life…................and that a “miracle”..........

It has consistantly paid for itself again and again, within ten minutes of pushing the “on” button for when I use it, which isnt very often,............................. it pays its dues….............every time….....which really means its a rare tool that consistantly gives me a lifestle I thought I couldnt afford?

any good tool, in the right hands, makes money, but the “Fein”...........is extrodinary in the right hands.

5 stars and a “must have” tool

-- "Good artists borrow, great artists steal”…..Picasso

View Shopsmithtom's profile

Shopsmithtom

#6 posted 07-09-2009 05:07 AM

Thanks for the review. I do get a few things at HF, usually those tools that I only use very occasionally because I can’t justify spending a bunch in those cases. I must say that I’ve been satisfied. In a rare instance where the tool was truly crappy, they refunded my money. While I don’t disagree with getting the high end version, because who doesn’t love great tools, I’d probably go the way you did in this case. Good luck with it. -SST

-- Accuracy is not in your power tool, it's in you

View davidroberts's profile

davidroberts

#7 posted 07-09-2009 05:48 AM

Thanks for the good review. I saw the Fein on an infomercial and when they showed th price I about bit my tongue off. I was with the family on July 4th and the wife wanted to stop by HF (no really it’s true) to buy something for the dogs. Anyways, I passed by the display and took a look. I want one mainly to sand in tight crevasses for refinishing a bedroom set. I’ve never bought a HF power tool, but the cashier 30 day money back no questions ask. I also want to buy a ROS for rusted nasty looking cast iron on a jointer I’m redoing. With all the WD-40 I’d use, I would consider it a disposable sander.

View davidroberts's profile

davidroberts

#8 posted 07-10-2009 12:00 AM

And by the way at $19.99, you sir get the YOU SUCK award. I’m happy for your gloat (haha).

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

#9 posted 07-10-2009 12:09 AM

I own a Fein Multi and love and recommend it.
When you are just starting out and need a “critical mass” of tools just to get a feel for the craft or get a small job done then the Harbor freight will probably get you by,
I would recommend you get one of those rather than do without anything.

It will doubless give you back 20 bucks or more in decent service but don’t be disappointed when it quits .

Just move on.

Bob

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

#10 posted 07-10-2009 04:28 AM

Thanks for all the comments guys. I too would love to own a Fein – it’s the Rolls Royce, but I have to make do with a bicycle. I don’t own any other HF power tools and I don’t project any time in my lifetime that I can save $400 for the very best tool for which I can only see ocassional usage.
The HF tool was a steal for under 20 bucks and I was very surprised when it worked as well as it did. I probably would never have purchased this tool because of the bad press HF power tools have, I would have not got anything, but I was willing to risk my $20 to try it. If it quits after 1, 2 or 3 years I’ll be out $20 – geez by then that’s what a gallon of gas will cost!
Maybe then the Fein will be on the medicare list and I’ll be able to get one – that would definately Stimulate me!!

== An eyeball to eyebal confrontation with a blind person is a waste of time!

View TheDovetailJoint's profile

TheDovetailJoint

#11 posted 07-25-2009 05:13 AM

Excellent review Roger!
While spending some time with a Fein rep a few months back he mentioned that their patents had expired and that explained why they had recently introduced a new and improved model. He went on to explain that this was why so many clones had hit the market. He mentioned Rockwell, Skill, and then he mentioned HF. This caught my attention as he was surprised that their tool was such a decent value. I decided then and there that I would keep en eye out for the inevitable 33% off sale flier. My wait was short because earlier this week I noticed the $29 coupon in the Aug 2009 issue of Popular Mechanics! The coupon is good for several months, and is redeemable for up to 2 tools, so not being content with waiting a moment longer I grabbed two at lunch this afternoon. (My dad’s B-day is July 30th.) I’ve had a chance to play with mine this evening and I have to say that I am very impressed! I was prepared for vibration; but it’s very smooth. I used the flat saw to cut the plywood bottom out of a maple drawer that was laying around the shop, and I was left thinking: “Dang, this could have come in handy 1000 times over the years.” Is it as good as the Fein? Nope, but I wasn’t about to buy a Fein. Is it worth $30? Sure looks like it! Scott

-- http://shopsmith-tool-hunter.blogspot.com http://gilliom-gil-bilt-tool-hunter.blogspot.com

View PineInTheAsh's profile

PineInTheAsh

401 posts in 1926 days

#12 posted 07-25-2009 06:39 AM

Hi Roger hope all is well.

Dovetail nice thoughtful idea for dad.

Made a quick stop at the HF in Saddle Brook, NJ yesterday. I was there for some Evapo-Rust. Walked up and down the aisles, no luck. Thought I’d strike out again like the AutoZone stores I had visited; one thought they had it but couldn’t find it, another never heard of it. Next time I think I’ll make copies off the ‘net, many people are “visual.”
At HF I surrendered—my lovely wife’s right, men never stop and ask directions on the road and think they know where everything is in any store. A staffer took me immedistely to my Evapo. No wonder, the jugs were pushed to a back shelf with their non-label sides showing. Grabbed a gal. at $19.95 and presented a 10% discount coupon. Can’t wait to drown some vintage Stanley planes in the promising rust attacker.
This HF would seem braced for a run on their version of the multifunction power tool. A prominent display of some three dozen boxes screamed ‘take me, what are you waiting for?’
Will return another day and maybe buy two and surprise my son with one.

Regards to all,
Peter

#13 posted 07-25-2009 02:29 PM

Hi Guys,
Dovetail – You solved the riddle of why this tool is being “pushed” by HF, Fein’s patent is out!
I have used this tool several times and much the same as you thought this is a handy little tool when you need something like it and it does seem to work well, beyond my expectations. It does seem to me that brand name tools are now being made in China and costing more where HF tools also made in China are enjoying a quality increase but remain at bargain prices. I am not advocating not purchasing brand tools but suggesting if the tool has only occassional use then also include HF in you consideration. I am a great fan of Grizzly tools, all work as advertised and the customer service is fantastic. HF customer service is good too, you take the tool back, exhange it, get a refund with no questions asked and they are not particular if you have a receipt or not.
As I have said before, I don’t usually purchase power tools from HF, but I do purchase consumables and some accessories including these: 38183-0VDA $4.95 24” Aluminum Bar Clamp 92490-0VDA $7.95 58-1/4” Aluminum F-Style Bar Clamp
Go to HF web site and enter the first 5 digits of the part number to view, look at the price I paid! My glue-ups don’t care what brand of clamp I use, and these are good.
Another thing you should be aware of: If you receive a HF catalog in your mail with sale prices then you can go to your local HF with the catalog and they will match the price.

The HF multitool is a bargain for occassional use and I am very pleased with mine. I am glad some of you have found the same.

Have a wonderful day,
Regards, Roger

View Boyd's profile

Boyd

#14 posted 12-02-2009 07:23 PM

I know this thread is really old, but it came up on a Google search for “Multifunction Power Tool” and I thought I’d add my 2 cents to it.

For even better deals at HF go to their web site click the box that says “Sign up now for discounts, coupons and specials”. I did that a couple years ago and I get email specials twice a week from them with what are probably loss leader sales from 20% to 60% off certain items plus coupons for % off anything. Keep watching because there are new items all the time.

Today’s coupon was for this tool. It’s got a different number now 67256 but the picture looks identical. It’s $34.99 with coupon.

I have bought a few HF power tools and lots of non-power tools and even though I’m sure they aren’t the quality of name brands I have had good luck other than one instance. I found out the charger for the cordless drill/flashlight set doesn’t auto-shutoff and ended up killing my new spare battery after when I left it plugged in a couple months. They wouldn’t take a return due to the 30 day policy. Still, since I’m an occasional tool user I’m very happy overall and glad I ran across HF.

View Hooligan__j's profile

Hooligan__j

#15 posted 01-02-2010 11:50 PM

Thanks for the review, and helping me to make up my mind about buying one.
I wanted a multi function tool, and like you could not afford the higher priced models.
After buying this one, I too had to try it out. Seems like a well made tool, had a ton of
extra blades at the harbor freight store, and I especially like the hook and loop sand paper.
anyway thanks again for the help.