Measuring non-wood things in the shop.

Review by oldnovice posted 08-02-2016 04:19 AM 1371 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Measuring non-wood things in the shop. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Many times in the shop you need to measure things that are not wood but is useful for your other tools. The Craftsman Digital Clamp-On Ammeter is a reasonably priced meter that measures both AC and DC current up to 400 Amps. I used it to measure some DC currents in the 80 Amp range and none of the typical DVM, or the three I have, or the old RCA analog meter have a range above 10 Amps.

Other features of this Craftsman Digital Clamp-On Ammeter is auto-ranging AC/DC voltages temperature both F and C ranges along with other measurements not typically found in this price range of less than $65.

In the box, well in this case blister pack, is a carrying case, a set of leads with protectors on both ends, and a thermocouple.

Just addition, I checked lower cost versions at Harbor Freight and while they looked similar and had many of the same features, none of them could measure DC amps and that is what I needed.

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"

View oldnovice's profile

oldnovice

View Jerry's profile

Jerry

#1 posted 08-02-2016 05:04 AM

I’ve got something similar and have found it to be very useful.

-- There are good ships and there are wood ships, the ships that sail the sea, but the best ships are friendships and may they always be. http://www.geraldlhunsucker.com/

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

#2 posted 08-02-2016 02:35 PM

I don’t measure amperage too often, although it might be useful at times just to see how powerful those tool motors really are. I have a couple of DVM’s in Anchorage, but doing less electronics than I used to, they don’t see as much use.

Down here in La Conner, Washington, Hans. Upon wishing to check out a battery yesterday, I realized I didn’t have a DVM here. Next trip I will bring one from Anchorage….....

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

View Woodwrecker's profile

Woodwrecker

#3 posted 08-02-2016 03:15 PM

Sounds like a decent price for the equipment and capabilities of it.
Thank you for the review.

-- Eric, central Florida / Utor praemia operibus duris

View Mark Shymanski's profile

Mark Shymanski

#4 posted 08-02-2016 03:44 PM

As my range of interests broadens I have also been looking at non-woodworking tools, but tools is tools so they all count :-)

-- "Checking for square? What madness is this! The cabinet is square because I will it to be so!" Jeremy Greiner LJ Topic#20953 2011 Feb 2