A nice tool (also sold under the Baileigh Industrial brand)

Review by whope posted 07-30-2016 08:14 PM 6348 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A nice tool (also sold under the Baileigh Industrial brand) A nice tool (also sold under the Baileigh Industrial brand) A nice tool (also sold under the Baileigh Industrial brand) Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was using a sled with my planer and the results were okay, but with large stock, it was too un-wieldly and dangerous, so when I received a nice bonus at work this past spring, I purchased this jointer.

I would have preferred the 12”, but the bonus wasn’t that nice. I had to run 220v to the garage so that was almost an extra grand. I also had 20amp 110v line put in as the garage only had one 15amp outlet so I had been tapping into the garage door opener outlets as well.

The unit arrived and I was able to un-crate it by myself. The wheels allow the unit to roll left/right, so I rolled it off the pallet. The unpainted surfaces were well greased.

It came with the tools shown:

I had been expecting to do perform some assembly. Luckily, it came pre-assembled. I checked everything and only tightened the drive belt. The dust collection port is a standard 4”. One item I had to attach was the red safety cover. It was a bit difficult and I didn’t get the spring twisted enough, so the safety cover doesn’t spring back very well. The other part to add was the fence adjustment knob (shown in the first photo).

The manual that came with it was branded Baileigh Industrial.

I’ve never used a jointer before, so I have no comparisons. The spiral head is made of multiple individual teeth which does impart a very slight texture. Not a big deal as you’ll probably be running it through a planer anyway. A little sanding would clean it up otherwise.

I’ve used it a lot more that what I would have expected. I’m very happy with this purchase.

Had I been able to do 1/2 stars, I would have done so as the locking mechanism for the wheels is a bit lame and for the safety cover installation problems.

-- Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, cut it with an axe.

View whope's profile

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#1 posted 08-01-2016 06:16 PM

I am a fan of Laguna tools. I wish the best to you and your machine.

-- Desert_Woodworker

View Bill_Steele's profile

Bill_Steele

#2 posted 08-01-2016 06:42 PM

Wow! This is a really nice jointer. I find it fascinating/interesting that having never used a jointer before, you decided on this level of jointer. This tool seems like the type found in a professional woodworking business. I bought a Jet 6” jointer a few years ago—I sorta wish I had splurged and got the helical head option.

I’ve found the jointer to be one of those machines that requires good technique and accurate setup to get the best results (I guess that’s true of all machines). For some time I was not very happy with the results I was getting with my jointer. Once I realized that my outfeed table was slightly above the knives and I corrected the problem, it cut perfectly. The difference is amazing.

I bought a few tools which I have found make it much easier to check the setup of the jointer. I bought a long straightedge and a set of feeler gauges (from Lee Valley) to check the tables. I bought another tool (Oneway multi-guage) to help measure/set the knives at equal height (to each other) and relative to the outfeed table. With a helical head I imagine that you no longer need to make height adjustments to the cutting edges—is that correct?

Congratulations on your new jointer—it’s a beauty!

View whope's profile

#3 posted 08-02-2016 11:45 AM

I am planning on doing this to make a little cash when I retire. My GF works for Ethan Allen and has plenty of customers to send my way. So I didn’t want to have to upgade this machine later (and everyone says buy as big as you can afford). I’m considering upgrading the T/S next year (now that I have 220 in the garage).

Thanks for the tips. I have found that if I’m not applying pressure properly, I get trailing snipe.

-- Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, cut it with an axe.

View JBrow's profile

JBrow

#4 posted 08-09-2016 01:02 PM

whope

Congratulations! I think you just upped your game and I am sure you will enjoy this machine and its capability for years to come.

Although a little late for me, thanks for your review. In the last six months I upgraded from my 6” Craftsman jointer to the Powermatic 8” jointer. Before deciding on the Powermatic, I was looking hard at the Laguna you just purchased. However, I found precious few reviews. Although I am well satisfied with my purchase, had I found a few more Laguna reviews I may have been persuaded otherwise.

You mentioned occasional snipe at the end of a board. This is a symptom of the outfeed and infeed tables not set just right. Although I find fine-tuning the jointer a bit tedious, once fine-tuned, effortless perfect results can be achieved. I looked at the Laguna manual, but failed to see an operator’s guide. I suggest looking at the Powermatic manual which includes a guide that can help identify the various problems, such as end snipe and tapering and how to correct them. Even though published by Powermatic, the operation section (beginning at page 20) would be applicable to your jointer.