16 lbs. of badass

Review by vulgarviking posted 07-25-2016 01:29 AM 2980 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
16 lbs. of badass 16 lbs. of badass No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Ok. So, for the past few months I’ve been looking for an upgrade from my Bose Ipod sounddock. Not that I’m crapping on Bose. I love it! But it’s not suitable for a shop environment. So, after tossing around tons of ideas and products, I decided to take the plunge and get the DEWALT DWST08810 ToughSystem Music Player with Charger.

Needless to say that I’m very happy with it. Now, please keep in mind that even though this is a job site radio, this will NOT leave it’s spot where it’s mounted. So, as far as exposure to rain, falls things being dropped on it; I can’t given a review on that.

So, as mentioned above, I did mount it to a wall as opposed to the way it’s supposed to be mounted via the Tough Systems cart. I have it offset the wall by about 7 inches so the duel subwoofers can resonate.

So onto the review: As stated in the title, it’s about 16 lbs, has 4 speakers and two subwoofers on the bottom. It has FM/AM radio, AUX input via a 1/8 jack, USB input and Bluetooth.
The sound is absolutely killer! I was playing everything from Chopin, Elton John, Pink Floyd, Lamb of God, Sabbath, Type O Negative, Morbid Angel, and so on… The sound was Crystal Clear. Bass was where it should be, and the mids and trebble were spot on. Some sound systems get the song out, but with this, you can hear every instrument.
Radio reception sucks. In all fairness, my shop is under my house and incased in concrete, and while living in the Boston area, all the stations I like are either in Mid Massachusetts or New Hampshire.
Charging the batteries takes about an hour. So that’s not too bad. Plus it can be powered by the 20v battery.

Pros: Sturdy. Killer sound, easy to dial in. Decent charger.

Cons: Shitty reception. No remote(most job site radios don’t have anyways). Hard to see amber monochrome display. Power cable looks flimsy.

All in all, I would definitely but this again. I’m VERY happy with this.

View vulgarviking's profile

vulgarviking

View htl's profile

htl

#1 posted 07-25-2016 09:49 PM

Sounds like the last of the boom boxes.
Nice review.

-- An Index Of My Model making Blogs here on Lumber Jocks.. http://lumberjocks.com/htl/blog/116729

View JoeinGa's profile

JoeinGa

#2 posted 07-25-2016 11:17 PM

I have the (much) older version of this. Like you say, the reception isn’t the best, but I can live with it. Oh, but mine DOES have a remote.

-- Perform A Random Act Of Kindness Today ... Pay It Forward

View jimintx's profile

jimintx

#3 posted 07-27-2016 05:24 PM

I like this thing a lot, and think i want one. I would also use it on some type of shelve or hanger device, not as a portable.

BUT – I have a couple of questions about it and I have not seen one of these in person, so far.

It is built to be used in a “flat” orientation, sticking out horizontally from the tool carrier dolly.
Thus when mounted in a vertical style, as you have it, is it correct that the entire digital display is upside down, and the slanted face is directed up toward the ceiling?

You suggest the woofers are pointed at your wall. That makes sense, but what if I just layed it on a shelf? Then, I suppose those woofers would be down against the top of the shelf surface, and the sound output would suffer from that.

What type of aux input does it include? I cannot seem to find that via my internet searches – but will keep looking.

Thanks – I know you will enjoy having this in your shop.

Btw, I really like the look and design of that circular saw blade storage unit, i can see to the right of the music player.

-- Jim, Houston, TX

View vulgarviking's profile

vulgarviking

#4 posted 07-27-2016 05:47 PM

Thanks – I know you will enjoy having this in your shop.

- jimintx

Hey jimintx, Laying it flat shouldn’t affect the subwoofers too much, because they are vented through the unit. I wanted to mount the unit vertically so I could best utilize all four speakers especially the back ones, and have easy access to the battery charger compartment, and it’s offset so I don’t lose any bass. (And piss off the neighbors. Lol) The Aux uses a 1/8 jack, and I’m pretty sure the USB can use a flash drive. I don’t have the manual with me to confirm, but you can download it. It might be better help at answering than I am. Oh! And wall mounting it the way I did does put the display upside down.

Hope I answered all your questions!