Shakes itself to pieces in a very short time

Review by Durnik150 posted 1877 days ago 1444 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Shakes itself to pieces in a very short time No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Price $29.95 via Amazon. The price fluctuates with what package of attachments come with the sander.

The search for a reasonably priced finish sander continues… I had hoped this little unit from Black & Decker would hold up for a while and I would get some good use out of it. I was disappointed.

First, the “Zone Touch” feature is worthless. There is an indicator light that tells you when too much pressure is being applied. This light comes on red when the unit is first switched on and stays red until it gets up to speed. It then turns green supposedly indicating that you are in the right “zone.” After that you could beat it against a wall and the light would stay green. A completely worthless feature.

The hook and loop sanding platform is attached to the body of the unit with three screws. After only a couple of hours use, the plastic attachment posts around the screws detached from the rest of the sander. There was no way to fix it since the plastic itself had literally liquified and separated. I called the B & D help-line and they referred me to the DeWalt repair center in the Denver area where I live. It’s about an hour away so I have not as of yet taken it there since I’m not sure if it would be worth it on a $30 sander.

I liked the versatility and comfort of the unit while it was working but it doesn’t do any good if it melts down and doesn’t work at all.

-- Behind the Bark is a lot of Heartwood----Charles, Centennial, CO

View Durnik150's profile

Durnik150

647 posts in 1953 days

View patron's profile

patron

13017 posts in 1972 days

good point ,

i think it’s what we call ,

junk !

in a profesional way , of course .

View woodworm's profile

woodworm

...its a results of great intention with poor efforts.

-- masrol, kuala lumpur, MY.

View Julian's profile

Julian

Your first mistake was buying a black and decker tool!

-- Julian, Park Forest, IL

View Greg..the Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile

Greg..the Cajun Box Sculptor

5010 posts in 1940 days

I learned a long time ago that you get what you pay for. Quality is always worth the price. Black & Dicker is only meant for occasional homeowner use and not for serious woodworkers.

View mtkate's profile

mtkate

2049 posts in 1957 days

I pitched my B&D mouse sander in the garbage when I finally bought a porter cable. I did not want to inflict the pain on anyone – not even to leave it on the side of the road with a “free” sign on it.

112014 posts in 2208 days

Some times are bargains are not so good after all we all have learned the hard way

View gko's profile

gko

I used to like BD about 30 years ago but I think the move to be made as cheap as possible in China was a mistake. Recently I bought the highest rated BD string trimmer according to CR. Lasted 4 uses and belt slipped off the gear. Put it back on and this time the belt ripped. Everything flexed and really cheaply made. Went online and found that it had a ton of very negative reviews about its reliability. I bought a BD drill about 8 years ago and it started smoking after a few uses. That’s it for me.

-- Wood Menehune, Honolulu