Dremel Multimax a low cost alternative?

Review by EricWrights posted 1871 days ago 21860 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Dremel Multimax a low cost alternative? No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

A very useful customer’s review I found.

Credit: Camera Shy (Baltimore, MD USA) at Amazon.com

Good Tool and Recommended (with some room for improvement)

I received my Dremel Multi-Max about a week ago and was anxious to try it out on a serious project. The Project: Cut out exterior window molding that had begun to rot. The tool did the job as expected; in fact I felt like a surgeon cutting out a tumor. However, after just a few minutes of use, the blade came off – not good. The tool oscillates at a high rate of speed which also means it vibrates. I must admit when I installed the blade I was skeptical that a simple hex nut and beveled washer would hold the blade in place. Obviously, it didn’t (and yes, the beveled washer was installed correctly per Dremel’s clear warning). I reinstalled the blade and re-tightened the hex-nut (forcefully to the point the amount of torque made me wonder how long the hub mount would last).

I contacted Dremel and they admitted the loosening blade was a known issue and a fix had been developed in the form of another washer (I presumed a lock washer, but the customer service rep was not sure). She offered to overnight express the washer to me and of course I declined the generous offer and suggested they simply drop it in the mailbox.

Aside from this mishap, I’m pleased and the prospects of the tool are very good. As the first reviewer points out, the blades that come with the kit are wood only blades. However, metal and grout blades are available. Here’s my rating of the various aspects of the tool:

1. Ergonomics – 5-star. Ergonomically, this tool feels good in your hand. Not too big with enough heft to feel like a quality tool. I have used the Fein Multi-master which is bigger and heavier than the Dremel version. However, I like the feel of the Dremel.

2. Power – 5-star. Although I cut through relatively easy-to-cut pine, the tool never felt under-powered. For most projects where you’d use this tool, I don’t think power will be an issue. The ability to cut through materials is likely to be dictated by the blade used (true of any saw).

3. Durability – ?-star. Time will tell. My guess is that the blade changing hub will be the first to go if you end up changing blades frequently.

4. Blade Change Feature – 2-star. In the era of quick blade change everything, Dremel missed the mark with a conventional hex screw setup. It is a slow process of switching from one blade to another. This is where the Fein tool has a distinct edge.

5. Carrying Case – 5-star. Surprisingly nice, well made, attractive, and can hold a few extra blades.

6. Cord Length – 3-star. It’s 6’ feet long and of avg quality. Would have been nice if longer and more rubbery than plastic (just doesn’t uncoil like you’d expect from a good quality electric tool). However, tools with long cords can introduce some baggage.

7. Dremel Customer Service – 5-star. My experience exceeded my expectations. Other companies should take notice.

8. Value – 4-star. In case you’re unaware, Fein had the patent on the oscillating saw until September 30, 2008. This is why it cost $400+ all these years. On October 1st, Dremel, Bosch, and Chicago all came out with competing versions. The Chicago version is on sale at Harbor Freight for $39 while the Bosch (which is battery operated) is just under $200. At just under $100, the Dremel is likely a little over-priced, but, still a decent value. I suspect once Hitachi, Makita, Milwaukee, Ridgid, and others get in on the act, the price will get closer to $50. Their money is made with the replacement blades.

Washer Update – I received the washer from Dremel. As I said above, their customer service was impressive; at least over the phone. The washer I receiver appears to be more of a passifier instead of a solution. It is a flat washer that is significantly over-sized; not fitting the hub’s shaft. I finally bought a right-sized lock-washer and it appears to have done the trick. I retract my 5-star Dremel Customer Service rating above, however, I still recommend the product.

$99.00 is its selling point in this economic crisis era.

-- Sawing, sanding, scraping, cutting? Let Rockwell Sonicrafter do the job. http://rockwellsonicrafter.com & A more general blog at http://resay.org

112008 posts in 2202 days

thanks for the review

View SCOTSMAN's profile

SCOTSMAN

I wonder just how good it is sometimes these ad’s show us what they think we want to see but I have to say next to their equivelent models $ 99.00 is not bad. Alistair

-- excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

to a1Jim:
You’re welcome. :)

to SCOTSMAN:
Yeah that’s why we have to read tons and tons of reviews before making decision. Often, I have had bad experience when I went to stores and bought things right away without reading what others think about a certain product. Now I’ve learned that I should be careful and plan more before buying something. :)

View SCOTSMAN's profile

SCOTSMAN

Eric don’t misunderstand me Dremel make great tools it’s just that the photographs displayed are very clean and clinical we know when cutting off cement, plaster ,etc it’s not like that in real life, and the blades don’t look like that five miutes after even medium use. So I am just being realistic thanks for showing us this.Alistair

-- excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

EricWrights

I got the picture now. That’s true. It’s really a mess when you sand things.

View ND2ELK's profile

ND2ELK

As you said time well tell. Keep us posted. Great tool review. Thanks for posting.

God Bless
tom

-- Mc Bridge Cabinets, Iowa

You must have an engineering degree to out smart Dremels designers and utilize a lock washer to hold a nut in place ! Go figure !! LOL Nice review : )

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

With the luck or bad luck describes it better, I’ll never buy another Dremel tool. Their rotary tools have a very short life so enough is enough.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View BassBully's profile

BassBully

Late last year, in 2008, I purchased this Dremel because I was going to install a new floating floor in my parents’ house and I wanted to cut the jambs so the flooring would slide in. I’ve always wanted the Fein but I can’t justify spending $300 on the tool so I was excited to see Dremel’s version come to market.

Unfortunately, the very first day that I used it on the jambs, it burned up on me and started smoking. At first, I didn’t think anything of it but the casing became very warm while using it and I hadn’t even finished cutting through the first jamb yet. I even let it cool and went onto the next. It started smoking a little. Then, I cut another jamb and it started smoking even sooner and even more. These were only pine boards. I was able to finish the job without using it anymore but returned it and got a refund. I would’ve exchanged it but I’ve NEVER had a tool burn up on me—not even a Harbor Freight (Chicago Electric) tool—and I didn’t want to take my chances. I didn’t even have the RPM’s set to their highest level.

Good luck with yours though.

-- There are three types of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't!

View spaids's profile

spaids

How many of these are in the market now?

Fein, Dremel, Bosch, Rockwell, Harbor Freight did I miss any?

-- Wipe the blood stains from your blade before coming in.--

View newguy's profile

newguy

Just purchased the dremel and used it last nite. I was disappointed with the tool as it became very hot to the touch and very slow. I’ll have to try it again and see if it is worth the price. I’d rate it as a 3 at best.

-- Fred, Parker, Colorado

I’ve been using Dremel rotaries for years, wouldn’t want to do without either of the two I have. Got the MultiMax about 6 months ago and I’m quite pleased.
If these little tools are pushed too far, and that’s not hard to do, they won’t last long. Remembering that they’re miniature tools will keep them working for many years.

d

-- Will trade wife's yarn for tools.

View Viking's profile

Viking

For those interested, CPO Central is offereing reconditioned Dremel MultiMax for $59.99 with free shipping and one year warranty.

We have had very good results with reconditioned tool such as this as guess they all get looked over closely.

-- Rick Gustafson - Lost Creek Ranch - Colorado County, Texas