Lie-Nielsen no 4 1/2 with 55 degree frog

Review by TheFridge posted 07-18-2016 09:37 PM 2958 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Lie-Nielsen no 4 1/2 with 55 degree frog No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

My first LN plane

I bought it with a 55 degree frog to work heavily figured and prone to tear out.

It’s been a dream.

Works just as good on straight grained wood as well.

View oldwodie's profile

oldwodie

#1 posted 07-18-2016 10:10 PM

Seems to me that all any plane, no matter the brand, is nothing but a tool to hold the blade. If the handle is comfortable, and the blade is good quality, it should be a good tool. Even the Harbor Freight ones should be fine if it fits your hand, and you can get a quality blade to fit it. Now, ya’ll just go ahead and tear me apart!

#2 posted 07-18-2016 10:20 PM

and a ryobi benchtop drill press makes a great milling machine because all it does is hold the bit.

View bbasiaga's profile

bbasiaga

1232 posts in 1991 days

#3 posted 07-19-2016 12:05 AM

Fridge,

I’m curious to know how you landed on 55 vs 50 for the frog angle? I’m considering getting a high angle frog plane as well. Was leaning towards 50 as a good compromise between angle and hard to push.

Brian

-- Part of engineering is to know when to put your calculator down and pick up your tools.

#4 posted 07-19-2016 01:37 AM

i wanted to be able to plane the gnarliest stuff I had. So I didnt really consider how hard it would be to use.

That being said, it’s not that much of a difference between that and 45.

The weight between it and a Stanley is definitely noticeable. The LN is a chunk.

View AnthonyReed's profile

AnthonyReed

#5 posted 07-19-2016 03:26 PM

Glad to hear it works well for you. It, much like you, is a beautiful tool.

Thanks Fridge.

-- ~Tony

#6 posted 07-19-2016 03:33 PM

Damn. Hard to follow that Tony :)

View 489tad's profile

489tad

#7 posted 07-19-2016 04:29 PM

Fridge did you change the angle of the iron or does it come with the appropriate angle. (I could check their site but I’m being lazy). I have been thinking of getting a high angle frog and iron for my 4 1/2. Thanks for the review.

-- Dan, Naperville IL, I.G.N.

#8 posted 07-19-2016 05:10 PM

I didn’t change anything. I put a microbevel and went to work bud.

View CyberDyneSystems's profile

CyberDyneSystems

#9 posted 07-19-2016 07:13 PM

Seems to me that all any plane, no matter the brand, is nothing but a tool to hold the blade. If the handle is comfortable, and the blade is good quality, it should be a good tool. Even the Harbor Freight ones should be fine if it fits your hand, and you can get a quality blade to fit it. Now, ya ll just go ahead and tear me apart!

- oldwodie

Things like flatness of the sole, ability for the clamp to hold the frog down and maintain low/no chatter, squareness of the sides to sole, etc. will all help to make your final result superior. What a good blade will do is increase the amount of time you can work between sharpening.

-- Without the wood, it's just working

View AgentTwitch's profile

AgentTwitch

#10 posted 07-21-2016 11:52 PM

Fridge, that is my favorite Lie-Nielsen plane. I have the same setup with the High angle and standard angle frogs. The bench, chisels and bench planes are all super awesome….but then again so are all of their other tools.

-- Regards, Norm

#11 posted 07-22-2016 12:39 AM

Thanks man.

Yeah, I can vouch for a bunch of their tools. Especially the chisels.

Instead of buying another 45 deg frog, I just bought a #7 :)

View AgentTwitch's profile

AgentTwitch

#12 posted 07-22-2016 02:12 AM

Lol, yeah that’s one way to do it. Grab a 5-1/2 too…you know, for playing musical frogs :-)

-- Regards, Norm

#13 posted 07-22-2016 02:17 AM

Yeah the 5-1/2 got here 1st…

View lysdexic's profile

lysdexic

#14 posted 07-24-2016 07:18 PM

I bought Lie Neilsen tools because I wanted people to like me. It didn’t work. However, their tools are awesome.

I have the 4 1/2 with the 50. Love it. Enjoy yours sir.

-- "It's only wood. Use it." - Smitty || Instagram - out_of_focus1.618