A simple yet extremely helpful item

Review by Durnik150 posted 07-06-2009 04:42 AM 1491 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A simple yet extremely helpful item No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Price $5.99 for a 10 pack via Amazon

I have done a ton of reviews on Amazon and realized that the folks here at LJs will probably put more of the information to use than the average Amazon user. So, I’m transferring a bunch of these reviews over here for you folks to use. My intent isn’t to flood the site with reviews so if someone has a concern with a couple going up each day, let me know.

For as long as people have been working with wood they have been frustrated by either smudging their work by setting it down or having to wait until one side dries before adding a coat to the other. Now that these little babies are on the market you can eliminate both concerns.

Made of a non-stick plastic, they hardly ever adhere to your work. If they do, they only leave a small dimple that can easily be remedied. The tips are rounded so there is no piercing or damaging the wood when it is set on a pyramid. The holes you see on the sides not only lighten the pyramid but also give you finger holes to move, adjust, or grab as needed.

Yes, you can make your own version of these and they will work about as well but these are pretty well priced for a pack of 10 and it saves you the hassle of making them. I have two sets that I use regularly so they won’t just sit on your shelf collecting dust. You will use them.

-- Behind the Bark is a lot of Heartwood----Charles, Centennial, CO

94 posts in 2003 days

#1 posted 07-06-2009 05:01 AM

$5.99 + $4.99 shipping at Amazon.com

—————————————————
For as long as people have been putting a finish on wood, people have been frustrated by either smudging their work by setting it down or having to wait until one side dries before adding a coat to the other. Now that these little babies are on the market you can eliminate both concerns.
Made of a non-stick plastic, they hardly ever adhere to your works. If they do, they only leave a small dimple that can easily be remedied. The tips are rounded so there is no piercing or damaging of the wood when it is set on a pyramid. The holes you see in the sides not only lighten the pyramid but also give you finger holes to move or adjust the pyramid as needed.
Yes, you can make your own version of these and they will work about as well but these are well priced and will save you the hassle of making them. I have two sets that I put to use regularly so they won’t just sit on your shelf.

-- Sawing, sanding, scraping, cutting? Let Rockwell Sonicrafter do the job. http://rockwellsonicrafter.com & A more general blog at http://resay.org

View davidroberts's profile

davidroberts

#2 posted 07-06-2009 05:05 AM

thanks for the review. i’ve used blunted nails set in boards but they do make a dimple. how do you fix the dimple, or even a mark. of course no one else will see the dimple but me, but i do obsess over it a bit.

#3 posted 07-06-2009 06:06 AM

I have some they work great.

View degoose's profile

degoose

#4 posted 07-06-2009 06:59 AM

So that’s what they are for I thought they were fancy chess pieces.

-- Drink twice... and don't bother to cut... @ lazylarrywoodworks.com.au For lovers of all things timber...

View Don Newton's profile

Don Newton

#5 posted 07-06-2009 06:32 PM

Is it true that if you put a penny under one of those it will turn into a quarter?

-- Don, Pittsburgh

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

#6 posted 07-06-2009 07:24 PM

I have a bunch of these..bought them on sale at Woodcraft. They work great for oiling cutting boards. I also arrange them in a geometric pattern on the floor and meditate in the center!

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View hObOmOnk's profile

hObOmOnk

#7 posted 07-07-2009 12:17 AM

Almost as cheap as the way my Grandfather taught me:

Block of wood.
Drill hole.
Tap in a large nail so that it protrudes.
Round over nail point with file.

My current set of nail blocks is about ten years old.

-- 温故知新

View Occie gilliam's profile

Occie gilliam

505 posts in 2048 days

#8 posted 07-07-2009 12:28 AM

I like it, but the nail is quicker, don.t you think

-- OC down in Costa Rica. come down and see me some time. I'll keep the light on for you too-oc@hotmail.com mail.com

View patron's profile

patron

13182 posts in 2093 days

#9 posted 07-07-2009 02:41 AM

i just use my pin shoter ,
and shoot them into a scrap piece ove ply ,
about 2’ wide , every 2” .
then cut ply to 2” long blocks .
and you have lots of them .

#10 posted 07-07-2009 04:19 AM

Nice review , but I can use the money elsewhere , especially in these times. I also do it like patron does . Quick and easy and lasts until …....I’ll let you know when mine wear out : )