Gramercy Holdfast

Review by PPK posted 07-18-2016 02:36 PM 1606 views 1 time favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Gramercy Holdfast No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have to add my two cents about these holdfasts. They are awesome, in short.
I use them in my 3” thick workbench top. I did take some sandpaper and rough up the part that drops into the dog holes, because I had a tiny bit of problem with them popping loose at the very beginning. I think this may also be due to the fact that I had just wiped everything down with bioled linseed oil, including the dog holes, so it was probably just too slick.

They are sturdy, lock into place with one wack, pop loose just as easily with another wack, and look great to boot. I glued a little bit of leather on the faces of them, and have never had any trouble with marring my wood, even pine and soft stuff. Well worth the roughly $37 shipped to your door.

-- Pete

View PPK's profile

PPK

View Andre's profile

Andre

#1 posted 07-18-2016 03:16 PM

I concur completely! My bench is a bit over 3” and they hold great, work just as good in the 2” thick deadman.
Usually use a scrap piece of wood under them to protect the good wood!

-- Lifting one end of the plank.

View ic3ss's profile

ic3ss

#2 posted 07-19-2016 02:27 AM

I love my set I’ve had for a year now, I bought them for my Benchcrafted Roubo bench build last year. They just work fantastic.

View jobewan's profile

jobewan

#3 posted 07-19-2016 08:27 PM

I have a couple of these as well. I had to drill dog holes in my bench – I have a Diefenbach bench and it only had the rectangular dog holes. I think the top is just over 3” thick – may be off on that. Regardless, my big issue with these is getting them to release well. I have no issue with them holding – couple of good whacks with a deadblow mallet and they are in like Flynn, but getting them out has proven to be a challenge. I usually just move them off the caul by striking them sideways. Seems to be the only thing that works. they hold like a vise though. Good stuff!

Joe

-- Measure Twice, Cut Once - throw it in the woodpile, start over...

View Dedvw's profile

Dedvw

#4 posted 07-20-2016 04:29 PM

I LOVE mine! I left mine in a wet garage for about two years before they showed any signs of rusting. Easy to use and set up. They are worth triple the price.