Phony Amazon Reviews ???

Review by AandCstyle posted 07-16-2016 09:51 PM 2067 views 1 time favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Phony Amazon Reviews ??? No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this moisture meter on Prime Day partially based on the price ($18) and the 400+ reviews with an average rating of 4.3. I wasn’t expecting tremendous accuracy although the manufacturer claimed ± 1%. I was hoping for consistency. My thought was that if the wood got to a constant moisture content, it would be ready to use. Unfortunately, when I tested 4 samples of wood that has been in my air conditioned shop for months, the values ranged from 1% to 20%! I also brought home a piece of cherry from the local hardwood store (DC area) and it measured 2%. At that point, I decided to return the meter. Maybe I just got a bad one, but I think I will save my pennies until I can get this one.

-- Art

View AandCstyle's profile

AandCstyle

#1 posted 07-17-2016 02:26 AM

Yeah that meter looks a lot like the little harbor freight version. The mini lignomat is a good compromise for cost and quality. It does give pretty consistent readings.

View playingwithmywood's profile

playingwithmywood

#2 posted 07-17-2016 04:43 AM

the only way to compare the quality of this unit is to compare it to another meter of known calibration

another idea the piece of cherry you just bought say it is 5 feet long now take the meter and read that one board every 1 foot and how far off are each of those readings from each other

just because some boards have been in your shop for a few months does not mean they started at the same moisture level and the thickness of the boards will also effect this

so you need to be able to compare apples to apples I am not saying that you are not right calling this junk but based on your explanation of you testing I do not conclude it to be junk

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#3 posted 07-17-2016 12:32 PM

Taking a look at the 5% of reviews that gave one star, it appears they do have a percentage of units that are poorly made.
The most common complaint is widely varying readings, with one owner actually able to get a reading in mid-air!
Just one or two of those reviews talked about units that quit or did not work from the beginning. All the rest were of readings all over the place. Could be anything from poor construction, (bad connections), to faulty sensors, to poor QC in the metal of the prongs. Who knows? But about 5% of those sold seem to be bad.

I think it is safe to say you got a bad one.

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#4 posted 07-17-2016 03:30 PM

Andrew Pitts has a lot of good information on moisture in woodworking. Here is an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSi3MYsK34Q. Best to your quest on the right meter, for I find them to be like stud finders….

-- Desert_Woodworker

View AandCstyle's profile

AandCstyle

#5 posted 07-17-2016 10:21 PM

I returned the unit so I can’t do any further testing that would “prove” the inaccuracy of the unit, but I can guarantee you that wood not stored in a climate controlled space will not have a 1-2% moisture content in the DC area in July or any other time of year for that matter. So, yes, I got a bad one and I am not willing to risk getting another bad one.

-- Art

View Dutchy's profile

Dutchy

#6 posted 07-27-2016 07:44 AM

Maybe this is interesting for you and others:

-- https://dutchypatterns.com/