Hopefully this will be an awesome jig, once I finish making it.

Review by vulgarviking posted 07-11-2016 12:27 AM 3431 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Hopefully this will be an awesome jig, once I finish making it. Hopefully this will be an awesome jig, once I finish making it. Hopefully this will be an awesome jig, once I finish making it. Click the pictures to enlarge them

Having too many beers, Amazon Prime and one touch ordering on my Amazon account resulted in my delivery of the DELTA 34-184 Universal-Deluxe Tenoning Jig this Sunday morning.
So onto the rant….umm? I mean review.

Unboxing and light assembly, this jig seemed pretty decent, until I put it on my saw. Holy shit did it wobble! The bottom plate is a 3/8 cast iron plate with weight reduction recesses underneath it. And the surface is not machined at all, but instead finished with a heavy one directional sanding finish; which yeilds the flatness of a Pringles chip. As you can see in the second picture, there’s a generous amount of daylight between the bottom plate and table saw (about 1/32) and looking at the third picture, is the bottom of the bottom plate. The center of the web is the high point (naturally).
So because of the hardware being softer than dogshit in a puddle, I stripped out one of the pan head screws and mangled another one. (See below)

So rather than go through the ass ache of shipping it back for a refund or new one, I’ll just take it to work and finish machining the damn thing and of course buy new hardware.
I’ll post an update once it’s actually be used. I wanted to write this ASAP to save someone this BS.

#1 posted 07-11-2016 12:30 AM

View philba's profile

philba

#2 posted 07-11-2016 02:03 AM

I have a clone of the delta jig and never use it. I use the speed tenon method – no jig needed.

View Alan72's profile

Alan72

205 posts in 1935 days

#3 posted 07-11-2016 02:45 AM

I have one and I use it everytime to make tenons. I found it useful to draw arrows up and down to help adjust the fine adjustment knob.

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

#4 posted 07-11-2016 05:08 PM

I had one that was such a mess and so hard to set up and use that I wound up throwing it in the trash. Nothing was right on it. Now, I use a dado stack, especially on longer tenons and long boards.

#5 posted 07-11-2016 10:13 PM

Once I skim cut the bottom plate and replace the hardware, hopefully it’ll be worth it. But, at $120 it really shouldn’t have had come to this. I did read the reviews and they were more positive than negative. Also, one of the woodworking magazines had given this tool favorable reviews over the others. (Maybe because Delta made sure that they didn’t get a shitty one). But, I took a chance, and it didn’t pay off. Oh well.

#6 posted 07-12-2016 01:55 PM

Sorry to hear about that. It’s sad that the big names like Delta and Jet are willing to slap their name on junk products.

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoa-AgyeFWqnQfGIJwdzkog

View splintergroup's profile

splintergroup

#7 posted 07-12-2016 02:05 PM

I have the Delta (bought about 10 years ago) and I am fairly happy with it. It is fairly sturdy and the adjustments stay put once set. The ‘best’ thing is the miter bar actually fits the oversized Unisaw slots correctly (the main reason I bought a Delta brand jig).
It looks like you will have to spend some quality time getting the parts flat and true!

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#8 posted 07-15-2016 03:01 PM

Bummer….

It’s as if the manufacturer’s done even care anymore. :^(

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View GR8HUNTER's profile

View CyberDyneSystems's profile

CyberDyneSystems

251 posts in 2091 days

#10 posted 07-16-2016 12:04 AM

I had one for a few days, it too was junk. terrible, inaccurate.

Now I use two other tools.

1: Find the original Delta Tenoning jg from the 1950’s, the 1172, it’s a beast!

2: make one to ride on your fence, it’s easy and works great;

-- Without the wood, it's just working

View csi's profile

csi

#11 posted 07-17-2016 11:15 AM

I had a similar experience. Pure junk….and too light to be a good boat anchor. One of those impulse purchases made before I realized I could have, should have, made my own.

View Rockytime's profile

Rockytime

#12 posted 07-18-2016 10:43 PM

Too bad about the miserable thing. I don’t even know what the thing is for. Me a wood worker? Hah. But you do write a great ran…er review!

View jbay's profile (online now)

jbay

2035 posts in 802 days

#13 posted 07-19-2016 12:52 AM

- vulgarviking

That’s for the offset screw hole :>/
I have an older one that works pretty good. I’m going to take a look at it tomorrow when I get to the shop to compare differences.
Thanks for posting.

-- If anyone would like to see my Portfolio, PM me and I would be glad to send you the link.

#14 posted 07-21-2016 09:31 PM

- vulgarviking

That s for the offset screw hole :>/
I have an older one that works pretty good. I m going to take a look at it tomorrow when I get to the shop to compare differences.
Thanks for posting.

- jbay

I’m pretty sure that you may have been joking about the offset screw hole, but when reassembling this with new hardware, the alignment is off because of the holes that screw came out of. Lol…..Ugh! So now I have to breakout the Dremel and keyhole the bad hole.