LED T8 replacement shop lighting

Review by greatview posted 07-10-2016 06:40 PM 2287 views 3 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
LED T8 replacement shop lighting LED T8 replacement shop lighting No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I just finished replacing all my shop T8 bulbs with these which are directly replaceable for modern T8 ballasts. However, they also work without a ballast directly from 110V or 220V. I started by simply removing the old T8’s and replacing them with the new. I then got rid of the ballasts altogether which took about 10 minutes per fixture. They have more light and really white light (5000K) which I really like.

Amazon has them on sale for $34.99 for four or less than $9.00 per bulb!

View Mike's profile

Mike

#1 posted 07-10-2016 08:41 PM

Could you please add a link to the lights on sale via Amazon?

-- look Ma! I still got all eleven of my fingers! - http://www.lepelstatcrafts.etsy.com - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCppWfrYGXCr5lm9uW-Fpqqw

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

#2 posted 07-10-2016 08:48 PM

Could you please add a link to the lights on sale via Amazon?

- Mike

This looks like the right product: https://www.amazon.com/Enegitech-Equivalent-Fluorescent-Replacement-Lighting/dp/B01A3VMUG2/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468183629&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=Enegitch+4ft+T8+LED+Light+Tube+18W

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

#3 posted 07-10-2016 08:49 PM

I wonder if they are available in 8’ long tubes. If not, I could rig up some extra holders and place them at the middle of the fixture.

View Drjohn1963's profile

Drjohn1963

#4 posted 07-10-2016 10:23 PM

MrRon, I replaced my 8’ two bulb fluorescent with two 4’ double bulb LEDs and my shop is amazingly bright and I was able to change where they hang, so the lighting is better distributed than it was with the single 8’ fixture. I don’t know if that helps you…

-- John; Illinois woodworking hobbyist

#5 posted 07-11-2016 02:59 AM

Definately going to look into that!

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoa-AgyeFWqnQfGIJwdzkog

View Ocelot's profile

Ocelot

#6 posted 07-11-2016 05:14 PM

In my cart!

View splintergroup's profile

splintergroup

#7 posted 07-11-2016 07:04 PM

Check out EarthLED.com
I’ve purchased about 20 4’ replacements. They have alway shipped quick an have a nice selection of brands and color temps.

View Shawn Masterson's profile

Shawn Masterson

#8 posted 07-11-2016 10:39 PM

Very interesting. I have 10 4 bulb T8 fixtures. would it be insane to have that much light if I replaced all 4 the bulbs with these. Keep in mind my shop is 26X30

View Richard's profile

Richard

1916 posts in 2596 days

#9 posted 07-12-2016 04:16 PM

- Shawn Masterson

If it gets to bright just pull a few of them out.

View BigAl98's profile

BigAl98

#10 posted 07-14-2016 03:31 PM

I replaced the T8’s in my shop over about a year…. I have eight 2 bulb fixtures…did a fixture when Costco had a good price on fixtures (just to see how the light worked)...and replaced it one or two at a time or did bulb replacements when I saw a good price for that…very happy now that I’m about 1/2 the watts as before, but the lights do seem to be a little brighter. I think the cheapest I paid was $24 for a fixture with LED ligtht, and max about $32. Also, they come on instantly ( or almost) vs. the long warm up in the winter….also lighter and no humming. The payback from an already efficient 40 to 20 watt is about 8 years, so the savings isn’t such a big deal if your converting old fixtures to new. But, so far so good!

-- Al,New Jersey -To thine own self be true

View Breeze73's profile

Breeze73

#11 posted 07-18-2016 08:23 PM

I ordered some of these LED bulbs from Amazon, and they were JUNK. 4 of 8 of the one I received either didn’t work at all, or flashed on and off very quickly. I ordered these from EarthLED.com and couldn’t be happier.

Note: I did have to replace the sockets with non-shunted sockets and bypass the ballast. Super easy though.

Breeze

-- Breeze

#12 posted 07-18-2016 08:39 PM

Maybe you were unlucky or maybe I was lucky. I ordered four packages of four bulbs and they all worked and are still working after a few weeks. I didn’t have to replace anything. Only removed the ballast and connected the power to the tombstones. My tombstones were not shunted but had a jumper wire already in place effectively making them shunted. Thus, in my installation the hot lead goes to one end of the led with both pins being powered and the neutral lead connects to the other end. As I mentioned earlier, you don’t have to remove the ballast so long as they are of a newer vintage.

View JoeinGa's profile

JoeinGa

7733 posts in 1912 days

#13 posted 07-18-2016 10:21 PM

T8’s are the “thinner” bulbs, right? Will these work in the fatter T12s ?

Some of the web sites I checked looks like they’re interchangeable and some web sites say no way.

-- Perform A Random Act Of Kindness Today ... Pay It Forward

#14 posted 07-18-2016 11:07 PM

No problem in swapping a T8 for a T12. That’s what I did. All my fixtures came with T12. I replaced the old T12 ballast with new ones that worked with the T8’s and then removed the ballasts for the LED’s that I have now.

View splintergroup's profile

splintergroup

#15 posted 07-19-2016 01:56 PM

Generally the “drop in” LED replacements don’t need any rewiring, but consider that the ballast uses 5%-10% of the power, it really is best to bypass (remove) it and run the LEDs directly off of 110V. Sometimes you need to swap some wires on the tombstones depending on if they are shunted or not.

In this case it is good to indicate somewhere on the fixture that it is no longer configured to use fluorescents!