Makita, #1 in my book

Review by JMG posted 07-05-2009 02:10 AM 10735 views 1 time favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Makita, #1 in my book No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was a cutman on a framing crew for about 7 years and I have used just about every major brand circular saw out there and the only thing that comes close to a magesium Makita saw is a regular Makita saw. No, I don’t work for Makita but this saw is the absolute best. At only 10 lbs, this bas boy has a powerful 15 amp motor that cuts anything in it’s path. This saw is capable of miter cuts 90 to 56 degrees with the flip of a lever. Remember those times trying to finish a job at about dark thirty and couldn’t see your cutline? This saw has an LED light that brightens up your line enabling you to cut in pitch black dark if needed. It also has a feature that blows the sawdust away from your cutline. The Makita 5007MGA is basically the same saw, only has an electric brake for you guys that like to wedge your guard up. Priced at 149.99, it is a little more expensive than the competition, but paired wit ha Diablo blade by Freud, the Magnesium Makita is definitely the best on the market. I highly reccomend this saw to anyone from a DIYer that cuts something once a month to a Pro that builds houses every day.

View PineInTheAsh's profile

PineInTheAsh

401 posts in 2012 days

#1 posted 07-05-2009 02:30 AM

I agree strongly.

Makita is a brand that seems to run just under the radar.

Their hot dog air compressors are top quality and
my Mak ROS has been a powerful workhorse for years.

BTW, I recently installed a Freud thin kerf blade on an inexpensive Skil saw—it cuts like everything’s melting butter.

When I find brands I can trust—I’m a buyer. No matter the price.

Life’s too short.

#2 posted 07-05-2009 02:58 AM

good review

View EricWrights's profile

EricWrights

94 posts in 1996 days

#3 posted 07-05-2009 03:13 AM

it cuts like everything’s melting butter.

Haha i like your comparison.

-- Sawing, sanding, scraping, cutting? Let Rockwell Sonicrafter do the job. http://rockwellsonicrafter.com & A more general blog at http://resay.org

View Greg..the Cajun Wood Artist's profile

Greg..the Cajun Wood Artist

5254 posts in 2053 days

#4 posted 07-05-2009 06:01 AM

I have the Makita 18 volt lithium Circular saw and jig saw. They both are excellent saws andcan’t be beat, especially since I do not cut all day with them. Also own 2 makita lithium drills and they are top notch.

-- Each step of every Wood Art project I design and build is considered my masterpiece… because I want the finished product to reflect the quality and creativeness of my work

View abuck's profile

abuck

12 posts in 2075 days

#5 posted 07-05-2009 06:53 AM

Thanks for the review
I am in the market for a new circ saw and had my mind set on milwaukee. I think that I will take another look at makita.

View EricWrights's profile

EricWrights

94 posts in 1996 days

#6 posted 07-05-2009 11:30 AM

Here is the review for Makita Vs Milwaukee.

$177 – Makita 5007MGA 7-1/4-Inch 15 Amp Magnesium Circular Saw

Great Power, Low Noise, No Vibration, Quick Stop Blade and Oversized Lever controls.

However, It’s a bit dangerous.

It is powerful, but binds real easy and kicks back like nothin’ I’ve ever seen. I’m afraid to use it. The blade is very thin kerf and the teeth are flush with the plane of the blade, so you should try a bit more agressive blade. All the adjustment are positive and easy to use. Can’t really use the guard lever because it takes your hand off the second grip, making it scary once again. Oh, the foot is super solid.

+——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————+

And its competitor Milwaukee.
$99 – Milwaukee 6390-21 Tilt-Lok 15 Amp 7-1/4-Inch Circular Saw

The tool-less ability to change the base plate angle as needed;

The POWER. It cuts wet framing lumber and quarter sawn white oak with equal ease;

With all that power, I have not experienced any binding, stalling, kicking, burning etc;

The tilt lock handle is fantastic. I cannot conceive of using a saw without it now that I have it;

The blade that came with the saw is quite good.

Though the case is huge, it is sturdy and protects the saw very well.

+———————————————————————————————————————+

Consider the price $177 vs $99. Now It’s time for You to decide. :)

View Todd Thomas 's profile

Todd Thomas

#7 posted 07-05-2009 01:17 PM

good review…I’m in the market for a new saw now and will have to look at this one…like abuck I was thinking about getting the Milwaukee

-- Todd, Oak Ridge, TN, Hello my name is Todd and I'm a Toolholic, I bought my last tool 10 days, no 4 days, oh heck I bought a tool on the way here! †

View lumberknowledgist's profile

lumberknowledgist

#8 posted 07-06-2009 02:01 AM

I have the corded Milwaukee (borrowed from a friend) right now and have been using it to break down sheet goods for chicken coop and built-ins projects and it is an absolute pleasure to use. I have used the angle adjustment for 45’s, very quick and accurate. I also love the depth adjustment system, again very easy, fast and accurate.

With a thin kerf blade, and a good 8+ foot straight edge, I am getting extremely clean and straight cuts through 3/4” poplar ply with no tear out and no need for finish cuts. The saw is so powerful I ended up ripping/cross cutting pressure treated 2×8’s down to make better use of materials for some outdoor projects.

Bottom line – excellent saw, I will be buying one. Blows my (smaller) 18v Dewalt away.

-- Jason

View Don K.'s profile

Don K.

1075 posts in 2071 days

#9 posted 07-06-2009 02:29 AM

I have the Porter cable in a left hand cut. I use the left handed one even though I am right handed and use it right handed. I do this because I grew up using a skil worm gear…and I like to be able to see the blade when I cut. I NEVER liked leaning over my saw to watch the cut line. I like many of the features these two saws have, and when my P/C wears out…I may look at them. I know that Milwaukee makes a corded left handed saw, does Makita ?

-- Don S.E. OK

#10 posted 07-06-2009 11:19 PM

The kick back you are experiencing from the Makita saw is probably from the blade you are using. The blade that comes with the saw is not a very high quality blade. Like I said in my review, I reccomend the Diablo blade by Freud. This blade drastically reduces kickback. Also I have used my Makita ripping and crosscutting boards 40-50 hours a week for about 7 years now and haven’t experienced any problems with it. I recall ripping 2×8 lumber all day long to make extra 2×4’s that we fell short on. I also have ripped plenty of treated 2×10’s to create the proper slope on many decks I have built that were supported by block pillars. Still cuttin’ strong.

View SCOTSMAN's profile

SCOTSMAN

#11 posted 07-06-2009 11:26 PM

You can look at the rest then buy the best makita in it’s price range is the tops.Presto is impossibly expensive I can’t see it myself. And Dewalt is getting worse by the day. so I agree with you.Alistair

-- excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

#12 posted 07-06-2009 11:30 PM

Don, to answer your question about the left-handed Makita, yes they do make one, or they did. Model #5007NLK has been discontinued. The only left-handed saws they still make are cordless or 5 1/2” saws. You might be able to find a reconditioned one from Makita or find one on e-bay.

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

#13 posted 07-27-2009 09:31 PM

Makita is a good brand, I been looking at that saw for framing houses.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

#14 posted 07-27-2009 09:34 PM

You cannot have a better saw for framing houses, this one beats em all. It takes a lickin’ and keeps on tickin’

View rimfire7891's profile

rimfire7891

#15 posted 08-05-2010 03:39 AM

Used Makita for 40 years, was available in NZ before it was in North America. The walls on my shop shudder if I bring in any other color other than Makita turquoise for power hand tools. Have looked at others however it always seems to come down to Makita after some research.

Thanks jb

-- Playing with wood and metal for the last 50 years, driving and building Land Cruisers for the last 40. Experience is what you get when you don't know what you are doing.