New Jointer

Review by TigerTed posted 07-07-2016 12:10 PM 3983 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
New Jointer New Jointer No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Jointer was delivered into my garage 5 days after ordering. That included the weekend and 4th of July holiday. I did pay for the lift gate service. Packaging was very good and in great shape. Broke down easy for recycling. Assembly was very straight forward. I did start off using jacks and jack stands to get top close to installed height. Turned out to be waste of time. Friend and myself easily picked up the top to put on the stand. Table checks with a 3’ Starrett showed the tables to be perfectly aligned. I could not improve. Machine does cut loud and I will eventually upgrade to Shelix. Cut is very good. My only quibble is the fence. Using a square and patience, I could never get happy with the perpendicular setting. I am at the point of good enough. With everything else so perfect, it’s a bit of a disappointment. I will probably go and diagnose the table with a straightedge and feeler gauges. I think it must be cupped and not perfectly straight.

It is worth noting the machine is a G0490W. This indicates the machine came from the “new” factory. I have looked at the G0490 for years and it had solid reviews from 2006 until about 2012. Then the reviews weren’t as satisfactory. I am not sure if it was a coincidence or the quality tapered off. Anyway, this is a real nice machine. Half thinking about taking the fence to get ground but it is definitely good enough for woodworking. I would purchase again.

View Dautterguy's profile

Dautterguy

#1 posted 07-07-2016 01:03 PM

Y’all must be in a Country that is “Down Under” The pictures here in Ms. are upside down. Nice review though. Thinking about that very one.

View gargey's profile

gargey

#2 posted 07-07-2016 02:30 PM

How much does it cost?

View TheGreatJon's profile

TheGreatJon

#3 posted 07-07-2016 02:40 PM

Any chance you could do me a massive favor and measure the location and diameter of the cast brackets in the fence (where it is secured to the adjustment mechanism)?

I have an older 8” rockwell that joints perfect faces… the only problem being that the fence is broken in half. If the dimensions are similar, I can order a replacement fence from Grizzly. That would pretty much make my day (or month). Though I imagine that the chances of the fences being compatible are down around 16.7%.

-- This is not the signature line you are looking for.

View pintodeluxe's profile (online now)

#4 posted 07-07-2016 04:34 PM

I have the Delta DJ-20 which is nearly identical to the 490, and it is a great machine.
Is your fence not flat, or why won’t the fence adjust to square?

Congrats on the new machine.

#5 posted 07-07-2016 04:48 PM

Not sure why pics upside down. Ok on my computer.. Anyway, I’ll go ahead and caliper the trunions. I am betting at a minimum this is a metric size and the Rockwell was English.

View philba's profile

philba

#6 posted 07-07-2016 07:06 PM

I bet you have windows 10 on your computer. You can fix the pictures by using the viewer “edit” option, make a minor change and save. Then they will post correctly. Pretty annoying…

#7 posted 07-07-2016 08:25 PM

With a Starrett straight edge and feeler gauges, I measured about .008” gap at the cutter head location. That accounts for out of flat of the fence. Regarding setting the perpendicularity, it is a matter of how much patience you have. Wish there was some micro adjust as I find this perpendicularity to be critical. I believe it is good enough. My experience as an engineer working with metal has a hard time accepting but woodworking tolerances are different.

#8 posted 07-07-2016 08:56 PM

I measured 5 5/8” between trunions. Diameter about 3/4”. Can measure with calipers if need to be more accurate.

View DwightC's profile

DwightC

#9 posted 07-10-2016 07:21 PM

- TigerTed

Truer words were never spoken . . . also, the importance of ‘relative’ precision (a/k/a always mill a spare) . . . and the question, if you’re off a light 64th, are you off the same light 64th all the way around, or does it cumulate across all four pieces so you’re off a very visible 1/8th when you come around from in back?

View LarryB's profile

LarryB

#10 posted 07-11-2016 01:51 PM

A few times I’ve had issues with Grizzly purchases and found customer service “techs” to be both knowledgeable and helpful. I found that a phone call can save me lots of time trying to figure something out. If they discover a defective part or item it’s usually taken care of right away. (Not a commercial – I’ve found this true with other companies also)

Thanks for your review! I’m shopping for an affordable, quality, jointer for my limited space. I currently have a small 24” tabletop Delta that I’d like to upgrade with a larger replacement.

View Ocelot's profile

Ocelot

#11 posted 07-11-2016 04:58 PM

I’ve been looking at almost the same, but with the spiral cutter (XW) model.

Griz web site does not list the length of the infeed and outfeed separately. It seems peculiar to me that the outfeed is shorter than the infeed. What’s your opinion on that?

-Paul

View gargey's profile

gargey

#12 posted 07-11-2016 06:37 PM

- philba

Yeah wtf

#13 posted 07-11-2016 10:46 PM

Seems to make any board flat. Thinking about it, the more important eference surface is the infeed. By the time it comes into contact with the outboard it is already cut. You don’t want the out feed to interfere with the cutter however.

View jmos's profile

jmos

#14 posted 08-06-2016 08:28 PM

TigerTed, thanks for the review. I just pulled the trigger on one myself and I’m waiting for delivery.

Could you possibly do me favor? Like you, I’m looking to set up some blocking so the mover I’m hiring to hump this into my basement can set it down at the same height as the stand, and I only have to walk it over (probably doing that myself.) Only, I can’t find a stand height. If you would be willing to measure it off it would be greatly appreciated.

Did you have any luck figuring out how to get the fence to work any better? I heard issues about it, but for the price, I’m going to try it.

-- John