Awesome lights. Low price

Review by vulgarviking posted 07-05-2016 02:48 AM 2049 views 1 time favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Awesome lights. Low price Awesome lights. Low price No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

So, I’ve been working in my shop for the past three years with a single 100 watt bulb and grew sick off how shitty the lighting was. So, I splurged and swapped out the single bulb fixture for an electrical outlet and had gotten 6 of these LED light fixtures to plug into (3 per side). And I must say, I’m VERY please with this upgrade! These things are great! At 30 watts a piece and 3200 luminaries (whatever the Hell that means) they light up my shop perfectly; which is only a 25×15-ish with an 8-1/2 ft ceiling single car garage. They plug right into the receptacle that I replaced the light fixture with and they can also can be linked together; 9 per outlet. And they not only have the a 10,000 hour light built in, but the pull chain is too. Or, you can leave the pull chain in the on position and turn them on via a wall switch like I did.

At $30 bucks a pop, you can’t go wrong if you have a small shop with low ceilings like me.

View vulgarviking's profile

vulgarviking

View richimage's profile

richimage

#1 posted 07-05-2016 08:15 PM

Where did you buy them? I have been waiting for a sale at Costco…...............

-- "Women are like modern paintings. You can't enjoy them if you try to understand them." Farrokh Bulsara (Freddie Mercury)

View vulgarviking's profile

vulgarviking

#2 posted 07-05-2016 08:18 PM

- richimage

I got them at Home Depot. The online price says $40. But in the store they’re actually $30. And for a bulk price they’re $25

View kajunkraft's profile

kajunkraft

#3 posted 07-07-2016 02:12 AM

Big Ass Fans also sells Big Ass Lights. Put 4 of them in my 30’ x 50’ shop. They are great, but at $400 , didn't want to buy more when I found they weren't quite enough (they told me that I needed 6, and they were right). So, bought 10 LED "shop lights" from Costco, $40, and added as task lights in critical spots. LED is, no doubt, the way to go for many reasons.

EDIT NOTE: The preview shows some funky type font in the center of this post. I didn’t do it and hope it doesn’t appear that way on the actual site post.

View jciccare's profile

jciccare

#4 posted 07-07-2016 05:31 AM

Watts (for a light fixture) = power input (i.e. volts x amps). Lumens = light output. (“Luminaire” is another word for light fixture.) Lumens per watt = luminous efficiency (kind of like MPG). Old Tom Edison’s incandescents suck (power, that is—around 95% of their output is heat); halogens are somewhat better but still mostly heaters, fluorescents and compact fluorescent lamps (“CFLs”) better still, and LEDs even better—about 50%, and long-lasting—a combination that’s so world-changing that three scientists involved with developing the blue LED (which combined with red and green can produce white) won the 2014 Nobel Physics prize. And there is a still-more-efficient potential white light source on the horizon.

-- Accomplish the great task by a series of small acts. (Tao Te Ching / Lao Tzu)

View magaoitin's profile

magaoitin

#5 posted 07-08-2016 01:59 PM

Nice inexpensive upgrade! And what a world of difference that makes over a single bare bulb.

It is amazing how affordable LED fixtures have become, just in the last couple of months. 12-18 months ago you had to be a member at Costco or Sam’s club to get a deal like this (and they were always sold out).

These are especially convenient with the linking cable so you might only need a single outlet to run all of them. And at 36 Watts you could install 40 of them on a single 15 amp circuit!

-- Jeff ~ Tacoma Wa.

#6 posted 07-08-2016 02:13 PM

I need to check in store. I have T12 fixtures that I am sick of. Really want to go LED for a bunch of reasons. Heat being one of them…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoa-AgyeFWqnQfGIJwdzkog

View splintergroup's profile

splintergroup

#7 posted 07-08-2016 03:26 PM

Current LED bulbs that replace the common 4’ fluorescent tubes are about equal in efficiency so you won’t get any real power savings (but efficiency is improving rapidly!).

That aside, I replaced two bulbs in each of my eight 4-tube troffers (1/2 of each fixture is on a separate power switch) with LED drop in bulbs. Just having a simple choice for color temperature and none of that infernal buzzing or issues with cold temperatures has made the switch worth it to me.

View taoist's profile

taoist

#8 posted 07-08-2016 05:29 PM

I bought 4 LED fixtures with bulbs from Costco for $25.00 each. The are made by a company called Feit lighting (Chinese I’m sure) but they work great. My old garage lights were fluorescent bulbs and took forever to warm up and never really got too bright. These are bright from the moment they turn on and broadcast lots of color correct light. The lights have no buzz whatsoever and no warm up time.

View clieb91's profile

clieb91

#9 posted 07-10-2016 11:40 AM

I bought one of these last month one one the fixtures in my shop had a bad ballast. I am certainly planning to change out and add a few additional ones makes a huge difference in that one corner of my shop.

CtL

-- Chris L. "Don't Dream it, Be it."- PortablePastimes.com (Purveyors of Portable Fun and Fidgets)