Jawhorse (Sawhorse) from Rockwell, the Handy Helper

Review by EricWrights posted 07-03-2009 05:31 PM 9707 views 0 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Jawhorse (Sawhorse) from Rockwell, the Handy Helper Jawhorse (Sawhorse) from Rockwell, the Handy Helper No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I do 99% of my projects alone. Believe me this one is a Lifesaver! I’m always a bit skeptical of infomercials and typically believe gimmicky tools are much more trouble than they are worth. But, thinking about all the times I’ve risked cutting boards that were unstable and chasing odd shaped items across my bench with my surface grinder, I kept thinking this thing might just be worth a try so I finally decided to order one.

In the closed position the unit stores easily and takes up little floor space. Its clever folding design sets up and breaks down in a matter of seconds. Its first job was disassembly of a small electric motor to change bearings. The jaws worked great to snugly hold the stator of the motor while I removed the through bolts and end bells. It then firmly but gently held the armature in the vertical position while I pulled the bearings. It is amazing how much control you have over the amount of pressure you apply. I also used it to hold a circular saw I was repairing(talk about an odd shape) and then to hold some boards I was drilling pocket holes in. In all instances it worked flawlessly and much easier, quicker and safer than the way I would normally do those jobs.

Bottom line is I can see I will be using this tool for pretty much every project I have going. A little expensive but it will quickly pay for itself in time saved and improved safety. If you do a lot of work alone like I do, you will find the Jawhorse is an incredible helper.

Here are some pictures I have found on the internet when I was doing some research about it.

-- Sawing, sanding, scraping, cutting? Let Rockwell Sonicrafter do the job. http://rockwellsonicrafter.com & A more general blog at http://resay.org

View EricWrights's profile

View Don K.'s profile

Don K.

1075 posts in 1982 days

#2 posted 07-03-2009 06:23 PM

Agreed VERY nice review. I have been curious about this tool myself as I also do 99% of my work by myself. Now that I have read a “Real Users” review over one…I will take a closer look at one, I have seen prices all over the board on this tool…if you do not mind me asking…what did it cost ?

-- Don S.E. OK

View PineInTheAsh's profile

PineInTheAsh

401 posts in 1924 days

#3 posted 07-03-2009 06:36 PM

Under $200.

The Rockwell stuff has yet to make it to the wonderful east coast.

I spoke to a NJ Lowes manager about this availability and he simply threw up his hands.

View EricWrights's profile

EricWrights

94 posts in 1907 days

#4 posted 07-03-2009 11:47 PM

I got it for $175 + Free shipping. It shouldn’t cost over $190 as far as I’m concerned.

View SCOTSMAN's profile

SCOTSMAN

#5 posted 07-04-2009 12:32 AM

I got a different version of this by Dewalt I think the base is different to yours as it has a kind of crossbracing they are great to use.It can hold a full door on its corner edge and not topple over they were oricginally made by triton of Australia. Have fun regards Alistair

-- excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

View Jimmy's profile

Jimmy

44 posts in 1996 days

#6 posted 07-04-2009 04:44 AM

thats weird. i was in my local woodcraft in va the other day and they had one on display right next to the scroll saws. have you tried woodcraft yet? i didnt catch a price though.

-- 20 year old new woodworker. advice and tools much appreciated.

View verndog's profile

verndog

16 posts in 2040 days

#7 posted 07-04-2009 05:55 PM

I just picked one of these up last week at Rockler. The normal price was 179.00 but I had a 20% off coupon, out the door after the hefty CA sales tax it was 156.59. I really love this thing I had seen it demonstrated at the woodworking show a couple months ago. Very well made and simple to use. I am going to order the welding attachment shortly as my old workmate has scars from using it for something it wasn’t intended for. I am really looking forward to using this ingenious tool. I would highly recommend it since it has so many flexible uses.

-- Vern, Southern CA

View laflaone's profile

laflaone

#8 posted 07-05-2009 04:32 AM

It looks like a handy tool, and probabably well made. It just doesn’t seem to be even close to being worth $175-$200.

-- "non illegitimis carborundum"

View RainyDayInterns's profile

#9 posted 07-14-2009 07:27 PM

For those interested in a closer look at the unpacking and setup of the Jawhorse, here are a few in our RainyDayMagazine FirstLook series. Click on any of the images for a larger version.

Sincerely,
RainyDayInterns

-- "We Entertain When It Rains"

View RainyDayInterns's profile

#10 posted 07-25-2009 12:27 AM

Here are two more :
A closer look at the construction of the Jawhorse (welds, the Jaw):

A closer look at the rolling and carrying Jawhore:

The FirstUse series will start in August.

Sincerely,
RainyDayInterns

-- "We Entertain When It Rains"

View SawdustWrangler's profile

SawdustWrangler

90 posts in 2054 days

#11 posted 01-30-2010 06:51 AM

The Jawhorse rocks for free hand routing. It will hold the wood securely without damaging.

-- Chris, South Carolina

View DRJZ1974's profile

DRJZ1974

#12 posted 06-09-2010 02:47 PM

I made some different clamp faces to swap with the rubber ones to clamp wood in for hand planing, works great! I am so amazed how stable and how well it holds projects (even large heavy ones). Well worth the money. I use this more than my bench vise now.

View Dick, & Barb Cain's profile

Dick, & Barb Cain

#13 posted 06-19-2010 05:11 PM

Woodcraft has them on sale this weekend with free shipping. I ordered one yesterday.

View woodworkingcourses's profile

woodworkingcourses

#14 posted 08-24-2011 11:15 PM

Thanks Eric,

I have been considering buying a Jawhorse and I always feel reassured when I can read an independent review by someone who actually has used one.

Dave
woodworking courses

View VanillahGarillah's profile

VanillahGarillah

#15 posted 07-22-2012 07:03 PM

Just bought a ‘me-too’ version of the Jawhorse at Sam’s for $56. Haven’t used the real Jawhorse, but this one is well built and $100 less. Just sayin’