Quieter, better filtration than standard shop vac

Review by pintodeluxe posted 06-28-2016 05:34 PM 3165 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Quieter, better filtration than standard shop vac Quieter, better filtration than standard shop vac Quieter, better filtration than standard shop vac Click the pictures to enlarge them

How I Use Dust Collection In My Shop
I use a dust collector, as well as two shop vacuums for dust collection. One is a “6.5 hp” Ridgid that stays at the router table, and disconnects easily for shop cleanup. The other one is a small Ridgid vac dedicated to the miter saw. These vacs seem to do their job, and the howling noise they make doesn’t bother me much because the tools they are attached to are just as loud. Furthermore, the miter saw and router table tend to be used for short periods of time.

The problem I had was collecting dust from the random orbit sander, biscuit joiner, handheld router, and dovetail jig. These tools tend to be used for longer periods of time, and the howling of the shop vac really became tiresome. Additionally I was not impressed with the seal between the motor housing and canister on most standard shop vacs.

The Dewalt Extractor
I upgraded to this unit primarily for the noise reduction and better filtration. The Dewalt measured 59-61 db at 3 feet away. This is 10-12 db less than by 6.5 hp Ridgid vac at the same distance. This is with a non-calibrated meter, so take the values with a grain of salt, but the Ridgid seemed to be twice as loud as the Dewalt. I really couldn’t hear the vacuum motor over a 3 amp ROS, but I could hear the suction noise through the small 8-hole sanding discs.

The motor is variable speed, so if you don’t need maximum suction you can turn it down a bit. The variable speed is also helpful if you are running a high amp tool with the extractor, so you won’t trip a breaker. A tool is plugged into the vac, and when the tool is turned on the vac automatically turns on.

The filters are HEPA rated, and there is a positive locking seal between the motor housing and canister. The filters thread into place, and also form a secure seal. Finally the filters are self cleaning with a reverse puff of air every 30 seconds or so. The filter cleaning feature is barely audible over a typical tool.

The only negative comments I have are in regards to the hose. Dewalt went with a quick-connect style 1-1/4” I.D. reverse threaded hose. The hose itself is fine, but the fittings are neither quick nor easy! The hose connects to the vacuum via a quick connect, which actually works just fine. It swivels to prevent kinks, and locks firmly in place. However the tool end of the factory Dewalt hose is lousy. What comes with the extractor won’t actually fit any tools, you need an adapter. So I purchased several Dewalt adapters to get started, and I found them bulky and awkward to use. The solution was a #24 adapter from Mr. Nozzle. It reverse threads directly to the Dewalt hose, and fits my Dewalt ROS, Biscuit Joiner, 618 router, and more (1-1/2” tool-end I.D.)

Great tool after a simple nozzle swap.

View Hammerthumb's profile

Hammerthumb

#1 posted 06-28-2016 05:54 PM

Willie – what’s the approximate price of this unit?

-- Paul, Duvall, WA

View Tooch's profile

Tooch

1777 posts in 2022 days

#2 posted 06-28-2016 06:06 PM

real nice review Willie, where did you pick it up ?

-- "Well, the world needs ditch-diggers too..." - Judge Smails

#3 posted 06-28-2016 06:21 PM

I paid about the cost of a Festool hose for this unit. I’m too cheap to spring for what they cost new.
Amazon has them, and they are pretty steep. I just needed to get serious about dust collection and shop safety.

View jayseedub's profile

jayseedub

#4 posted 06-28-2016 08:01 PM

$500 bucks on Amazon! Dang…. I appreciate your explanation of the benefit of the “variable speed,” but I find that I really never actually take advantage of such features. I wonder how many of you do customize the speed of your router, ROS, or whatever on a regular basis?

But… thank you for a really, really solid, informative review. Nicely written, and very helpful.

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#5 posted 06-28-2016 08:11 PM

Nice write up. I like the variable speed on my Festool CT26 for things like use on a sander . If it is on high the sander is almost stuck to a board. The other use is at times when I do not need as much suction and turning it down reduces noise.

Nice vac…it seems to get those features you have to pay the $$$. I do not regret getting my Festool several years ago.

View Roger's profile

20949 posts in 2950 days

#6 posted 06-29-2016 11:56 AM

Thnx for your review

View CyberDyneSystems's profile

CyberDyneSystems

#7 posted 07-04-2016 02:14 AM

Price has scared me away, but it is an appealing unit. thanks for your review.

F.Y.I. DeWALT now makes a slightly smaller (and $200.00 less) unit that is like the little brother.
DWV010. that ones only $300.00 :)

-- Without the wood, it's just working