G0513X2 17" Bandsaw

Review by Don K. posted 07-02-2009 05:04 AM 11962 views 1 time favorited 37 comments Add to Favorites Watch
G0513X2 17" Bandsaw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This will be kind of a “Duel” review….One over the G0513X2 17” Bandsaw, and one over Grizzly’s customer service.

I received the Bandsaw several weeks ago, but because I had been so busy….I did not have time to even un-crate it. It stood in the corner of my shop for about a week and a half before I could even open it up and start to put it together.

I opened up the saw, looked it all over….no scratches,dents,blems etc..so we’re off to a good start. As I looked through the directions to make sure I had everything….I noticed I could not find a bag of hardware. Now there is VERY little assembly to do on this saw…basicly four bolts for the bed…four bolts for the fence….and one knob/crank handle that needed to be added…(This knob raises the blade guide)....the bolts I could have lived with out…but I needed the knob/crank handle.

Now I have never really had to deal with Grizzly about a problem like this…and was afraid that since the saw sat in my shop for almost two weeks before I noticed the missing parts…they would give me some trouble.

No such thing…I called Grizzly’s customer service, told them what happened and why it took me so long to call them, all they said was..”We are very sorry for the inconvenience, what parts are you missing ?” After I told them what was missing they said “It will be shipped out tomorrow !” ...two days later the missing parts were sitting on my front porch. Not bad imo !!!!

Now on to the saw…. As I stated earlier…about eight bolts and one crank handle is all I had to put on. As far as adjusting all the settings….again, VERY easy…..very easy to follow and precise directions. I really did not know what to expect when it came to adjusting this saw….I have a great old Rockwell bandsaw that runs like a dream….but it is a cranky old thing…some days it is a breeze to adjust a new blade…and other days it takes forever and just will not hold a adjustment.

This G0513X2 17” Bandsaw took me about 30 minutes to adjust everything…and that was only because I was not used to this saw. Now that I know where all the different adjustments are and how to use them…it only takes about five to ten minutes to change out blades and to reset all the rollers to fit the new size blade….I was ALL smiles !!!

Accessory’s and options ?? IMO this is a very well thought out saw, it has two different see through windows…one to see what your blade tension is at (Has a nice very easy to read scale for this) and another to watch the top of the top wheel to see how your blade is tracking. It has a large easy to use lever to release blade tension…and all of the adjusting wheels to set the tracking, raise or lower the blade support etc are large and easy to use.

The cast iron table is large and very easy to adjust and true up to the blade. It has cast iron wheels instead of aluminum and once I had the blade set proper ran smooth as silk and with no vibration. It also comes with a over sized re-saw fence that attach├ęs to the existing fence in about five seconds.

Power ??? The largest lumber I have resawn so far is 12” wide mahogany…...Once I got used to the saw and how to set up the fence….I made several dozen 1/16” thick slabs, all came out smooth as glass and it never bogged down a bit.

When I had done these same cuts on my old rockwell….lets just say I would still be out in the shop pushing the wood through.

It also has a very neat “Rack and pinion” for the cast iron bed that works very well.

This is a GREAT bandsaw…plenty of power, plenty of nice options, good dust control…that I would highly recommend to ANYONE…it also has free shipping.

The ONLY negative thing I found was “One” adjustment for one of the bottom blade rollers…all of the rollers are locked with allen head bolts/screws…all work very well and all the allen wrench’s are included. But one allen head under the bed toward the back….could not be adjusted with a allen wrench, when you but in the short end of the allen wrench you do not have room to turn it up and down with out the long end hitting the bed or the saw body….and you can not put in the long end because it is to long and hits the saw body and goes in at a angle…this is a easy fix by just swapping out the allen head for hex head bolt.

I have seen several reviews about members not even using the blade that comes with it…and I agree…when I ordered the new saw I ordered a full set of Timber wolf blades to go with it. I am sure the factory blade would do fine for some light sawing….but there is no way it would stand up to any serious hard wood…so I didn’t even try it…but put on a new timber wolf during the adjustment and set up stage.

Here is a close up picture of it

saw

And in this one you can see (Kind of lol) how big the re-saw fence is.

fence

#1 posted 07-02-2009 05:23 AM

Hey Don
Most excellent review It makes me want to trade in my Lauguna. I guess i missed the posting of you shop before ,It looks cool with all that new Grizzly tools . Thanks bud

#2 posted 07-02-2009 05:27 AM

Thanks Jim.

View roadrunner0925's profile

roadrunner0925

#3 posted 07-02-2009 05:31 AM

mind if i ask what the going price for one of those is?

-- wm, brandon,ms

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#4 posted 07-02-2009 05:37 AM

Very nice BS… Grizzly DOES care and has very good customer service.

I have the G0555… I love it…

#5 posted 07-02-2009 05:57 AM

roadrunner0925 $995.00 shipped to your door.

Heres the link

View verndog's profile

verndog

#6 posted 07-02-2009 06:07 AM

That is a beautiful saw Don. Ive been looking at the Grizzly BS myself and am really glad to hear they have good customer service. I am undecided if I really need this much saw for my first BS? Ive been thinking of the GO555X since others seem to be happy with it also. I don’t think I would be doing much re-sawing. Thanks for the great review!

-- Vern, Southern CA

#7 posted 07-02-2009 07:01 AM

verndog Thanks, and I agree….if you know for a fact that you will not be doing much re-sawing…I would go for the G0555x myself. My friend has one and loves it. My old Rockwell works great but just did not have the power for all the re-sawing I was doing. I am going to keep my Rockwell for smaller things and intricate cuts and use the new Grizzly for the heavy work. I did buy a couple of smaller Timber Wolf blades for the Grizzly for smaller jobs. But for now plan on just leaving on the re-saw blade.

Joe Lyddon Thanks, as I told verndog…the G0555 is a great saw also !!

View Marco Cecala's profile

Marco Cecala

#8 posted 07-02-2009 05:37 PM

I just tool a break from setting mine up. It arrived yesterday and I am looking forward to resawing with a carbide tipped Timberwolf blade. I will report on the blade soon.

#9 posted 07-02-2009 06:04 PM

Marco Did you get the same saw ?

View JerryS's profile

JerryS

#10 posted 07-02-2009 08:44 PM

Excellent review and thanks for posting it . This saw is looking better and better all the time. Did you order the Timber wolf blades from Grizzly also ?

#11 posted 07-02-2009 09:11 PM

JerryS, yes I did….I really can not coment on how good the price for the blades was or was not…When I ordered the saw I just ordered some blades of different size and teeth. The price was not bad at all….but a person may want to shop around on the blades to make sure they are getting the best deal.

The Timber wolf blades run from $24 to $34 per blade depending on size, tooth count etc.

View Marco Cecala's profile

Marco Cecala

#12 posted 07-02-2009 09:35 PM

Don;
Yes I did.

View Lenny's profile

Lenny

#13 posted 07-02-2009 11:41 PM

Hi Don. As usual, you offered a nice review here. Best wishes for much enjoyment with the new BS. The window feature may have become the standard. My Rikon has them too. That’s a nice convenience. Take care.

-- On the eighth day God was back in His woodworking shop! Lenny, East Providence, RI

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

#14 posted 07-03-2009 01:50 AM

Great review Don! I am sure this review will show up on the Grizzly website as well. I think I am going to end up with an all Grizzly shop myself. This band saw looks fantastic….and after the review I read on here on the Steel City I was thinking of buying…I’m all about this band saw!

How is the dust collection? I love the fact that it has two ports and the insert has holes in it to draw the sawdust away from the cut area…is it effective?

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

#15 posted 07-03-2009 04:09 AM

David, If you look at my shop pics…it is becoming all green for sure lol….The dust system works very well at keeping the dust out of the machine and works pretty well at keeping it out of the work area depending on what you are cutting. For normal use it sucks all the dust down and out…..when doing some serious re-sawing (Like 12” mahogany) it still gets it out of the work area pretty much…but does tend to build up a bit under the table near the rollers. Nothing really bad and only needed blowing off after several cuts.