Move over Big Foot...The Rockler All-Terrain Mobile Base Rules the Shop!

Review by Andy Brownell posted 07-02-2009 04:02 AM 3562 views 1 time favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Move over Big Foot...The Rockler All-Terrain Mobile Base Rules the Shop! Move over Big Foot...The Rockler All-Terrain Mobile Base Rules the Shop! No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I recently broke down and dropped some cash ($180) for this new product from Rockler. My shop space is limited and I have little space to move around my table saw.
The parts are gigantic, and almost over the top, but in a good way. The wheels, thickness of steel and bolts are all over-sized. Assembly was so easy, there were no instructions…
It can accommodate for just about any standard sized piece of small shop equipment, but it offers some extension sets (longer metal bars) to allow for larger pieces.
The hardest part of the whole process is coming up with a strategy to assemble it under your machinery and avoid as little lifting as possible. I used some 2×4’s to achieve the lift needed to get my SawStop table saw (contractors grade) up onto the supports.
It boasts a maximum capacity of 800 pounds. After that, you probably shouldn’t be moving a piece of equipment that big.

It’s performance is amazing across concrete, in fact, my 4 year old son can move it as easy as his own bike.
The locks are rock steady, and it feels like there has been some reduced vibration in the saw’s performance as a result of the heavy duty 5” urethane casters.

I highly recommend this for anyone that needs to regularly move a table saw, or other large tool around to make your shop space bigger.

-- Andy Brownell

View Andy Brownell's profile

Andy Brownell

144 posts in 1972 days

View Don K.'s profile

Don K.

1075 posts in 2047 days

#1 posted 07-02-2009 05:26 AM

Nice looking base. I just bought a “Shop fox” for my Grizzly cabinet saw…and within three days it collapsed pure junk imo. I junked it and built my own. If I had seen this one I would have tried it. Thanks for posting it.

-- Don S.E. OK

View ND2ELK's profile

ND2ELK

#2 posted 07-02-2009 09:52 AM

Looks like a great mobile base to have. I will have to look at it closer when I get more of my stationary equipment. Thanks for posting.

God Bless
tom

-- Mc Bridge Cabinets, Iowa

View llenworbs's profile

llenworbs

2 posts in 1971 days

#3 posted 07-02-2009 09:59 PM

in the market for a mobile base for my jointer myself, good to hear that this one is up to snuff. Don, thanks for the FYI on the Shop Fox base as well.

-- Steve Brownell

View Tim_456's profile

Tim_456

#4 posted 07-04-2009 03:47 AM

Thanks for the review allenworb and it looks rock solid and great casters. Does anyone know of a mobile base that has all four wheels turn? The all have two that spin and two that move in one plane. I want total freedom!!! :D

View Don K.'s profile

Don K.

1075 posts in 2047 days

#5 posted 07-04-2009 04:26 AM

Tim_456...The shop fox was the first and last mobile base bought by me. I make my own with casters from woodcraft. They lock up tight as a drum…rolls around like it was on ice. If you click on my shop pictures you will see some of my tools on them. Another reason is I to like all four wheels to be able turn….makes it much easier to move around a 600lbs saw.

-- Don S.E. OK

#6 posted 07-04-2009 04:45 AM

Hey Andy
good review

View hairy's profile

hairy

2096 posts in 2253 days

#7 posted 07-12-2009 01:06 AM

Hey neighbor! I’ve been thinking about these. My tablesaw is a hassle to move, this might do the trick.

-- in the confusion, I mighta grabbed the gold ...