Wixey Digital Angle Gauge

Review by Tony posted 01-14-2008 04:27 AM 5806 views 1 time favorited 21 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Wixey Digital Angle Gauge No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I originally undertook a review of this item http://lumberjocks.com/jocks/Tikka/blog/1195 in 2007. here are the comments I made then.

There is not much to do with this unit when it arrives – just remove the battery cover, insert the battery and switch on. The operation of the gauge is very easy. I did find that my gauge when checking my blade in the table saw was wrong by 0.1°. This is within the tolerance of the gauge. I undertake more testing over the next few weeks and post the results. You should note that you ARE NOT limited to using this only on metal surfaces. With care you can use it on aluminium or wood – it just does not “stick” to the surface.

In summary a wonderful little tool, which will be very useful inside and outside the shop. Excellent value for your buck!

This was about 9 months ago, since that time I have used it extensively for many different things and for General setting up of machinery it is close enough in accuracy. However if you need really accurate settings on your equipment, then I would recomend that you use another method of setting and checking the angle used

For example; it was not accurate enough for the lattice cutting boards (I found errors of about 0.1 deg.) I made last year. I still use it daily and would purchase another if it were to become damaged.

-- Tony - All things are possible, just some things are more difficult than others! - SKYPE: Heron2005 (http://www.poydatjatuolit.fi)

View Tony's profile

Tony

View gizmodyne's profile

gizmodyne

#1 posted 01-14-2008 08:23 AM

Thanks for the review. I want.

-- -John "Do I have to keep typing a smiley? Just assume it's a joke." www.flickr.com/photos/gizmodyne

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#2 posted 01-14-2008 12:00 PM

Good review. It is on my “must have” list.

#3 posted 01-14-2008 02:50 PM

HI Tony:
For what it worth there is a competitive guage out there for about the same money with 2 decimal accuracy on the readout . (Tilt Box™ Digital Inclinometer for Tool Setting)
This one is at Lee Valley.

Regards

View tommyboy's profile

tommyboy

#4 posted 01-17-2008 12:01 AM

Great price on the Wixey here:

peace

-- -tommy NJ

View Eric's profile

Eric

#5 posted 01-19-2008 05:56 PM

I have one of these and it works great. If you would like to see it in action just click here.

-- Eric

View Blake's profile

Blake

#6 posted 02-03-2008 10:52 PM

I’ve got one and love it. Whether you get the Wixey or the Tilt Box it is a must have for every shop.

-- Happy woodworking! http://www.openarmsphotography.com

View motthunter's profile

motthunter

#7 posted 02-03-2008 11:01 PM

i have many of their products.. they are all pretty good.

-- making sawdust....

View designerboy's profile

designerboy

#8 posted 02-05-2008 06:11 AM

I also have the range, what I have used is great,
I am gonna buy 1 for my Dad, as the large
readout is great for those with failing eyesight.

-- My Fear is when i die, my wife will sell my tools for what I TOLD her they cost

View Damian Penney's profile

Damian Penney

#9 posted 02-11-2008 03:46 PM

The TiltBox states this for its accuracy ‘It has a range of 90° left or right and a resolution of 0.05° (accurate to 0.2°). I believe the Wixey is accurate to 0.1°

-- I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

#10 posted 02-11-2008 04:53 PM

Hi Damian:
I found that description on the Lee Valley confrusing.
The meter shows 2 decimals after the interger suggesting that it could measure to a 100th of a degree. (.01)the write up suggests (0.1) – could be a typo?

Bealls write up says it is accurate to 0.1°
++++++++++
The culmination of our long search for a device which could produce precise angle readings on table saws and other shop equipment, the Tilt Box is a digital inclinometer that will read relative angles to an accuracy of +/- .1. Turn it on, place it on your saw table and press the “Zero” button once to establish relative zero. Then attach it to your blade by means of the rare earth magnets on its sides: it will register the relative angle between the blade and the table on a large, easily read display. As a bonus, if you press the “Zero” button again, the Tilt Box will also measure absolute zero, which means that you can also utilize it as a portable pocket level. The Tilt Box is powered by an 9 volt battery, which is included.
++++++++++++++++

Now I dont know what the second decimal place is for other than advertizing.

Cheers

View jaspr's profile

jaspr

#11 posted 03-09-2008 04:14 AM

I haven’t used either of these devises, but I can offer a comment on precision and/or accuracy versus the display.

[As an aside, it is interesting to consider the difference between precision and accuracy.]

Anyway, the point of this is – just because a device will read to two decimal places, doesn’t mean that it is accurate to this level. It is easy enough for the manufacturer to give a readout with lots of digits after the decimal point. (It might be different these days but once upon a time all chips were made with the capacity to show 8 numbers after the decimal point.)

But this doesn’t mean these numbers are accurate/correct or repeatable.

If it is accuracy you are after, you need to ignore how many digits are displayed and believe the manufacturer.
For the second decimal point to be accurate, they would need to say it was accurate to 0.01.

If one manufacturer says theirs is accurate to 0.1 and another says theirs is accurate to 0.2, then the first one is more accurate. If one says theirs is accurate to 0.1 and another says theirs is accurate to 0.01, then the latter is more accurate. (it doesn’t necessarily mean this is the one you want – you may not need this level of accuracy – which will probably come at a higher price.)

This may lead you to think – “well, why do they have two decimal places on the dial, if the second one is not accurate?” – and the answer is … caveat emptor.

And just to wrap this up – ‘resolution’ in this context (I believe) means this is the smallest number it can display.

-- Claire

#12 posted 03-09-2008 04:39 AM

Great explaination Claire.
I have found in practice that the second decimal is beyond the accuracy of the machines and materials I am using.
I may be more advantageous with a metal milling machin or lathe.

cheers

View closetguy's profile

closetguy

#13 posted 03-09-2008 05:07 AM

I have a lot of useless “gagets” I have bought over the years, but this one was by far worth every penny.

-- I don't make mistakes, only design changes....www.dgmwoodworks.com

View Sawdust2's profile

Sawdust2

#14 posted 03-09-2008 12:09 PM

I tend to agree with Bob #2.
It’s only wood and it will give enuff with a little clamping pressure or a swipe with sandpaper.
And I can’t tell that close anyway.

If it’s metal you need 1000th’s
If it’s nuclear you need 100000ths

I just use wood. Usually 1 degree is close enuff.
My $.03
Lee

-- No piece is cut too short. It was meant for a smaller project.

View Tony's profile

Tony

#15 posted 03-09-2008 02:19 PM

Sawdust2 (Lee)

In some cases I would agree with you that 1° accuracy is enough. However, if you were cutting a panel say 2’ long then, if you were 1° false, then you would have a discrepancy of 7/16” (10.4 mm) at 24” and at 3” long 1/16” (1.33mm)

Whereas with a an accuracy of 0.1° you would get 0.04” (1.06mm) & 0.01” (0.13mm) respectively.

Even with a 0.1° accuracy when producing parts for the lattice cutting board, this is not accurate enough, with so many joints the accumulative error is just too great – then you need to be dead on 090.00° The Wixey cannot provide this, then you have to go back to your tried and trusted engineering square.

I have purchased an engineers square, which is guaranteed accurate to 0.01° inside and outside angles. This I keep in a wooden box, which used periodically for calibration of other tools.