Excellent Lathe Fixture

Review by TheDane posted 06-25-2016 08:22 PM 2133 views 1 time favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Excellent Lathe Fixture Excellent Lathe Fixture Excellent Lathe Fixture Click the pictures to enlarge them

I love my lathe … but I hate the built-in indexing system!

Enter the Alisam Engineering Indexing System ( http://alisam.com/page/14g9e/Woodworking_turning_OT.html )

Here is what the manufacturer says about it: The system consists of a 10 inch, extensively laser engraved with index lines every 5 degrees and degree marks every 15 degrees, anodized aluminum plate with the appropriate ID for your spindle, with three concentric rows of indexing holes. There are three rows of indexing holes spaced 3°, 4°, 5° apart, (2 1/2°, 3° & 4° for the 1 1/4” model ONLY). This combination allows the user to adjust for virtually any position around the circumference of your turning! Included is a heavy aluminum base with 2 very, very strong, 3/4 inch diameter “rare-earth” magnets to secure the bracket to your cast iron/steel bed ways, (base also has a threaded 1/4 X 20 tpi hole for those who wish to attach it more permanently to your lathe or to a wooden jig), a “dog point” indexing screw and appropriate threaded jam nut to secure the indexing plate on your spindle. You may also secure the plate to the spindle with your lathe’s chuck or faceplate. The bracket is easily removed when not using the index plate.

Pros:

++ Easy to install, use, and remove from the lathe.

++ Dead-on accurate … precision engineered.

++ Very good documentation. Even someone as math-challenged as I am can easily figure out which set of holes to use for the spacing I want.

++ The manufacturer’s description is spot on.

Con:

—The indexing screw. You have to back the screw out of the plate, advance to the next hole, and screw it back in. Someone (not the manufacturer) suggested moving the post, but the magnets are very strong (a good thing), and it takes some fiddling to get the pin back in the holes in the plate.

What it needs is a spring-loaded indexing pin. Like the one I found at Jergens Manufacturing in Cleveland, Ohio ( http://www.jergensinc.com/Pull-Ring-Locking-Plungers ). Their part #27446 ($8.09) is a perfect fit, and eliminates the only problem I have had with the Alisam Indexing System.

This is a terrific product, and if I could give it 4.99999 stars, I would. The only thing that keeps me from giving it 5 stars is the absence of a spring-loaded indexing pin.

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

View Druid's profile

Druid

#1 posted 06-25-2016 08:50 PM

Something I’ve been thinking about for my Taig. Might give me a push, and the links are good resources too.
Thanks Gerry.

-- John, British Columbia, Canada

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#2 posted 06-25-2016 11:08 PM

That really looks like a GOOD COOL Indexing system…

Glad you were able to find the spring loaded pin to make it perfect!

#3 posted 08-18-2016 08:40 AM

I really like this and will be adding it to my lathe. I like that you can see and reference all the info out in the open.
Thx for sharing.